Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Network Shares as Local Guide Paths

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Using Network Shares as Local Guide Paths Reply with quote

I've been using mapped drives for 2 out of the 4 of my Local Guide paths lately, and I must say I'm impressed on how well it works. I thought I would get timeouts and/or general slow downs but I am not seeing anything of the sort. I'm surprised, but then again I'm not complaining.

I thought I would put togther a checklist to make sure everyone has all the correct settings to successfully send shows from your Local Guide using mapped drives if they do so wish.

Some of these settings aren't *always* required, but it might help with debugging if things aren't working.

1) When you install IVSm, make sure you are *THE* computer "Administrator" when you install it (not just another administrator). This goes for Windows 2000 as well as XP.
2) Make sure the IVSm service runs as "Administrator". Instructions here: http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10615
3) When you map the drives initially, make sure you are the "Administrator", and also you set them for a persistent connection (i.e. they remap automatically after you restart).
4) Make sure you disable the "autodisconnect" feature. THIS IS IMPORTANT! This goes for Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Instructions here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297684 Be sure to do this on both computers.
5) Make sure that the "Administrator" password on both computers are the same. This may not be necessary, but may help with debugging.
6) Make sure any firewall software on both the computers is *completely* disabled.

That's it! If you follow these rules exactly it should work without a hitch.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade

Last edited by Hairston on Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more things I'd like to add while using UNCs with IVSmagic:

If the machine you are connecting to (the one that has the show files) is Windows XP based (not Windows 2000), make sure the Guest account is enabled and Simple File Sharing is turned on. Also, make sure you have "Allow network users to change my files " checked.

If your file system is formatted as NTFS, make sure the "Everybody" group has full access to read and write all files in your Local Guide directory.

Make sure your show files are not in the root of the share. Place them in a subdirectory of a share. For example:

\\<IP address>\<share>\<directory>\<show file>

So, basically if you have directory called "DVArchive" that contains the directory "Local_Guide" that contains all your shows, do not share the "Local_Guide" directory, but share the "DVArchive" directory instead.

In the above example it might look like this in your IVSm.ini:

\\<IP Address>\<Share>\Local_Guide

If you are using Windows 2000, you are unfortunate in the fact that it doesn't support Simple File Sharing (or "ForceGuest"), but it does however support "transparent sharing". This means that as long as you run IVSmagic as a service and as the user "Administrator" and both computer Administrator passwords are the same, it should work just fine as long as the shares are set up as described above.

On a home network, using UNCs, it's also better to specify the name of the computer by it's IP address because it will skip the step of NetBIOS broadcast name resolution. This, at the very least, would slow things down. In a worst case scenario there could be a conflict or the resolution would fail resulting in a failed connection. Specifiying the computer as it's IP address avoids these potentials altogther.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: