Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burning a Show to DVD-Too Large for one DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WilsonFlyer
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Burning a Show to DVD-Too Large for one DVD Reply with quote

OK guys... I have all the tools (I think) but apparently I'm too dumb to make them work. LOL

Admittedly, this isn't a DVArchive problem but rather and archiving challenge that I can't seem to be able to get my arms around. I'm just hoping someone here can help me since I know you guys do this all the time.

I want a SIMPLE, virtually HANDS-OFF way, to archive shows to DVD. the problem is shows that are over about an hour and a half. Most network movies run 2 hours. I don't wanna screw with editing out commercials or anything else. I just wanna dump them to DVD and be done with them.

I have Nero 7 (full retail purchase version) and every time I load a 2 hour show into the burner software, it tells me it's gonna take 2 DVDs.

Surely there is a brainless and easy process that will simply compress these shows just enough to fit on one DVD with some sort of simple command or procedure.

I guess what I'm looking is as simple of a process as I can find. Could somebody help me out? I'm tired of not being able to archive anything that won't fit on one DVD.

If someone could outline a simple set of instructions that works, I gotta believe this thread would be worth a sticky.

Thanks in advance!
na9d

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I do all my video work on Macs, I can't help you directly with a set of instructions. But I do know this: You should EASILY be able to save 2 hours to one single layer DVD. There are different encoding levels that can allow various levels of quality vs. time, etc. You might want to see if Nero has a VBR (Variable Bit Rate) encoder. If you can use that, it will work.

I just put about 3 hours of video onto a single layer DVD this past week. Used Toast and put about 6 episodes of Dora The Explorer onto a DVD so my 2 year old can watch them in the car!

So while I have no instructions - I can encourage you and say, "Don't give up hope!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Nero 6, and in NeroVision Express....if you set Quality Setting to "Automatic" as you load videos it should ask if you want to accept lower quality to keep it to one single layer DVD or not.

Though there are times where it gets files that it decides that it can't automatically reduce for you. In which case you can try Nero Recode (like DVDShrink).

The Dreamer.
WilsonFlyer
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Here's my confusion...

In the Nero 7 Recoder (Recoder II), it never gives me a "Next" option when I select the .mpg file that is the main show. It's almost as if it has to be in some sort of DVD format FIRST before it will re-encode it. That's what I'm missing. I don't know how to get it into a format it will be happy with re-coding?

I can select a "DVD File" or a "Data File" and I select "Data File" because I only have an .mpg and I don't have a DVD file. It never gives me a "Next" option to go ahead and "build" the recoded file.

Does that make sense?
MaxH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's take this to the Other Software of Interest forum, since none of this specifically involves DVA.

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
na9d

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Max, I'm moving it again!

Should go in the DVD/MPEG Forum!
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said...sometimes I have to use recode/dvdshrink to get things down in size....in which case you let it create a DVD9 in some directory and then try recoding the DVD9 into a DVD5.

Because sometimes the ReplayTV MPEG looks like a DVD file where Nero can't automatically reduce its quality....

The last time I was playing around with ReplayTV MPEGs to a DVD....I opted to create DVD9's....that sure was expensive...trying to locate the appropriate blank that was compatible with both my burner and my player....

Actually there were 3 orders....first one burned fine, but wouldn't play in my DVD player....next one wouldn't burn...then I found Verbatim DVD-R DL's that burn and play....

OTOH, around the same time I did buy MVW....(and I did all of it after I had been laid off [where I still am]).... I seem to recall that MPEG2VCR was a required step in my process to get ReplayTV MPEGs onto DVDs....other than to use it to edit out commercials.

The Dreamer
MaxH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
Actually, Max, I'm moving it again!

Should go in the DVD/MPEG Forum!

Whoops, my bad...I specifically bought a portable DVD player that plays MPEG-2 data files so I wouldn't have to know about this stuff.

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard to make the replay file ready for the DVD burner software.
WilsonFlyer
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreshears wrote:
I use Womble's MPEG Video Wizard to make the replay file ready for the DVD burner software.

I guess what I'm hearing is that Nero 7 doesn't have the tools to do these things. That's actually good information. I'm gonna contact Nero and demand my money back (Seriously) and find a tool that can simply take a mpg and adjust the size to the space available on a given DVD and then write it to it. I can't believe it doesn't exist and moreover; I find it incrediably hard to believe Nero 7 Ultra won't do it but maybe it won't.

I gotta believe the first company that release a product to do this (assuming there isn't one already out there) will get rich quick. You guys are willing to jump through 100 hoops to get where you want and that's FINE (NOT a criticism!) but I don't have the time nor the inclination to do so. If I've gotta do "all that", screw it. It's not worth it to me.

Maybe I should get my developers on a product. Hmmm...

Thanks for your help anyway. Thanks for moving my post to a furum where nobody will ever see it too. That really helped.
na9d

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WilsonFlyer wrote:

Thanks for your help anyway. Thanks for moving my post to a furum where nobody will ever see it too. That really helped.

I think you've gotten plenty of help and those of us who are regulars on Planet Replay regularly look for posts in ALL forums.

This is in the forum it should be in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: