Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVSm in Mac OS X (VirtualPC)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyber_RTV
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: IVSm in Mac OS X (VirtualPC)? Reply with quote

Will IVSm run in Mac OS X undier VirtualPC for Mar?
na9d

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason it shouldn't. Not sure what the performance will be as VPC is somewhat of a dog (but I can't wait for Microcrap to release a universal binary so it will run on Intel based Macs! ).

But since VPC is a full Windoze environment, it should. I've not done much networking with VPC so I don't know the issues involved with IP forwarding to VPC and ports and all.

What we are really hoping for is a port to OS X/Unix for IVSM. Bob, the author, is soon going to be releasing the source code. Since IVSM is based on Apache and PHP, there's no reason it can't be modified to run on OS X and modified farily easily, I think.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jmduke7
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone made in progress on porting IVSmagic on a Mac?

I got some poop too!
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has even hinted at attempting to tackle this. The program source code is available if you'd like to take on the mission.
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on this about a year ago but the code has a LOT of MSWindow$ "hooks" built into it that would make porting it more of an effort than I have time for. (Not to MAC but to FreeBSD.)
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nded wrote:
Nobody has even hinted at attempting to tackle this. The program source code is available if you'd like to take on the mission.

Actually, I believe it has come up several times, especially since the posting of the source code. In particular, this post more than "hints" at specifically tackling this...

And, here even Bob himself brought it up! And, it was discussed fairly extensively at that time...

Henry
jmduke7
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: IVSMagic porting to Mac Reply with quote

Well, I'm a long time Mac user and will definitely never go back to a Windoze peecee, so my only option is to pursue porting IVS to a Mac. If anyone can tell me or send me a link to the source code, I'll give it a whack! Not that I'm real experienced in this field, or even have allot of extra time on my hands, but with some outside help (from the rest of you Mac users) maybe we can get something going.

I seem to remember a program that you can download that will help certain programs (not necessarily a .exe file) run on a Mac. It might make porting to a Mac much easier and less extensive. I'll just have to search around for it. Don't remember a whole lot about it, but do remember that it had something to do with MONGO (or at least you had to have it to run Mongo).

Any pointers on where to get started?

I got some poop too!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic porting to Mac Reply with quote

jmduke7 wrote:
If anyone can tell me or send me a link to the source code, I'll give it a whack!

It's the very first topic in this very forum! http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14111...

Henry
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real problem is not running programs, it's mostly written in PHP which runs natively on almost anything. The problem is that Bob used a lot of MS Windows specific system calls to manage various things (like interprocess communications) that will need to be carefully examined, understood and made to work in a unix environment. That's the big job. I actually have it working on a freebsd machine but the process communication still needs a lot of work to make the whole thing functional. I just don't have time to hack code anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: