Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VLC streaming playback on OSX problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slomr2
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: VLC streaming playback on OSX problem Reply with quote

Setup = vlc 0.8.4 on OSX 10.4

When I choose to stream a video VLC uses the default program settings, not the custom ones that get used if I launch VLC manually. Anyone else seen this before?
djsprat
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: No Streaming or Playing Reply with quote

My shows will not play or stream from within the DVArchive program. I have to open them from the VLC program. Any suggestions? I changed the path to:
/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/vlc
mrvern
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: On OS X 10.6.4, I can't get DVArchive to launch VLC Reply with quote

My new computer is a Mac. I'm trying to move all my stuff from the old computer to the new one. I've installed DVArchive, and it appears to be working in other respects, but it won't launch VLC.

I'm starting with a clean install of DVArchive. I've set /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC as the MPEG Video Player and the Streaming MPEG Video Player, and used the Browse button to select VLC to make sure it sees the correct path. I've tried several versions of VLC, both 64 bit and 32 bit. When I try to play a show, nothing happens, and there aren't any errors posted on the messages tab.

As a test I can tell DVArchive to use Firefox instead and it launches and tries to access the file or stream, but Firefox won't play the file or stream, I believe because it is configured to use QuickTime and I don't have the QuickTime MPEG2 add on, so it doesn't work, but it at least launches. I suppose I could work on getting this option working, but it seems like a bit of a kluge, and VLC should work.

Currently I have these versions installed:

Mac OS X 10.4.6 running on 2.66 GHz core i5 with 4GB RAM

DVArchive V3.2 (when it starts, there is briefly a DVArchive process visible in Activity Monitor that shows as "Kind" PowerPC)

VLC media player Version 1.1.3 The Luggage (Intel 32bit)

/usr/bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02-279-10M3065)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01-279, mixed mode)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: On OS X 10.6.4, I can't get DVArchive to launch VLC Reply with quote

mrvern wrote:
I'm starting with a clean install of DVArchive. I've set /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC as the MPEG Video Player and the Streaming MPEG Video Player, and used the Browse button to select VLC to make sure it sees the correct path. I've tried several versions of VLC, both 64 bit and 32 bit. When I try to play a show, nothing happens, and there aren't any errors posted on the messages tab.

Assuming that you have VLC installed in the Applications folder, that certainly looks correct (especially if you used Browse to confirm it). However, if you are saying that you have an MPEG-2 show downloaded on that computer and you can't even play it with VLC, you obviously need to get VLC working playing a local show file before worrying about why it won't play from DVArchive...

Henry
mrvern
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I open the file directly in VLC, VLC will can play it. If I click on the file in finder, VLC will play it. If I tell DVArchive to play it, nothing happens, local or streaming. DVArchive doesn't even open VLC.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrvern wrote:
If I open the file directly in VLC, VLC will can play it. If I click on the file in finder, VLC will play it. If I tell DVArchive to play it, nothing happens, local or streaming. DVArchive doesn't even open VLC.

Hmmm... I happened to have just set this up on my daughter's iMac this weekend and it all worked properly. Maybe you should try setting the paths to something else just to see if DVA can launch the application. You could try the QTHelper just to see if you can get QuickTime launched...

By the way, I used VLC 0.8.6d with the ReplayTV patch that little_blaine posted here. You might give that one a try and see if it launches any better...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: