Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can only get roughly 80 minutes on a DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jogrady
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: I can only get roughly 80 minutes on a DVD Reply with quote

Should I be able to get more minutes? I can't record most movies. I'm using a Roxio DVD builder and taking the mpg files directly from my reply TV using DVArchive. The files are recorded in standard format.

Thanks

Jim
superchuckels
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're using dvd builder from ez cd/dvd creator 6, you should have no problem making 2 or more hour dvds - if you're using ez media creator 7's version, you should get version 6. personally, i think they took a step backwards (way backwards) with version 7, since it creates more headaches than anything else. i haven't tried version 8 yet, but - the thing is, it seems like every burning program out there has its own idea of how to recompress (or not to) and how much and what quality. nero will do different totals than either version of ez dvd will. i'd download nero & give it a try, or switch versions of whichever of the roxio apps you're using to check it out.
jogrady
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I use medium quality I can record a 2 hour DVD. On low quality I can only get 80 minutes

Thanks
superchuckels
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you have that the other way around? low quality uses less space than medium quality. generally, most people only try to use medium quality when burning to dvd's mainly because... well..... at high quality the replay uses more space than what would fit on a dvd without making an appreciable improvement in quality (i.e. it's just not worth it for the amount of space it uses to use it)
codemantx
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standard quality requires re-encoding.. i don't remember the exact resolution, but standard records in something like 360x480, while medium and high record in 720x480. the DVD standard is 720x480, so anything in a different resolution than that has to be re-encoded.

if you are going to record a show on the replay with the intention of eventually saving it to DVD, it is best to record in medium. it requires no re-encoding at all because the resolution is within spec and the bit-rate never exceeds the max allowed by the DVD standard. high quality will sometime require re-encoding because sometimes the bit-rate will exceed the DVD standard, most in bightly lit fast motion scenes.

the number of minutes you are going to be able to get on a single-sided DVD will vary depending on the average bitrate of the video are your using. the MAX duration you will get at the minimum bitrate allowed by the DVD standard is about 2 hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: