Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everyone! Please read this first! Important setup info!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Everyone! Please read this first! Important setup info! Reply with quote

Ok, I spent literally 6 hours today trying like 12 different types and brands of home routers. What a nitemare. My buddy brought over a whole box and helped me test each one. Linksys to NetGear, Cnet to Belkin, Cisco to HP, we tested them all.

Well, I'm sorry to say, I'm highly disappointed at the clowns who write the firmware for this junk. Only one router truly worked forwarding multiple public ports to the same private port. Ho-hum.

Ok, fine, next test. We re-tried all of them again but this time just simply forwarding a single public port to a single (but different numeric) private port, half of them failed. Like I said, junk.

The only thing that truly worked 100% on all routers was forwarding multiple (and single) public ports to the SAME numeric ports on the private network.

SO...

As of this now, I am pulling support for non-matching numeric public to private ports for IVSm. The tests today were totally ridiculous. I still can't believe the pathetic lack of support for these features.

As you know (or didn't), the latest version of IVSm has support for multiple proxy ports, but it is currently a manual process. I will try to illustrate all the scenarios below.

Exhibit A: One Replay. The software will automatically configure the proxy port upon setup, but it MUST match the port of your Replay.

PLEASE NOTE: The IP addresses and port numbers are all listed as examples. You NEED to use the values that match your LAN!

Here is a diagram on how it could be setup:

Replay 192.168.1.100 port 2112
PC 192.168.1.200

Upon installation of IVSmagic set the bind address of IVSm to 192.168.1.200 and bind the "proxy port" to 2112. You can set the "web port" to be anything you like as long as it's not currently bound to any other app. "8080" is a good one to try.

The port-forwarding entries on the router should be setup in this way:

Router IP Port IVm IP Port
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 2112 -> 192.168.1.200 2112

From here, start up IVSm, register your local Replay in "Replays" and go! You are done (unless you have to re-configure WiRNS for directed Loopback Sends, but that is beyond the scope of this HOWTO).

Exhibit B: Two or more Replays. Forwarding two or more Replays in IVSm is completely optional. The only function you will lose if you do not set the router to forward your subsequent Replays is the ability to track the send progress on shows transferred from that Replay. If you would like to only forward one Replay and have the others bypass IVSm, use the example in exhibit A.

Here is a diagram on how it could be setup (again, please note that all these values are examples!):

Replay #1 192.168.1.100 port 2112
Replay #2 192.168.1.110 port 6969
Replay #3 192.168.1.130 port 7777

PC 192.168.1.200

Upon installation of IVSm set the bind address of IVSm to 192.168.1.200 and bind the "proxy port" to either 2112, 6969, OR 7777. Just pick one for now. You can set the "web port" to be anything you like as long it's not currently bound to any other app. Again, "8080" is a good port to try.

The router would be setup this way:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 6969 -> 192.168.1.200 6969
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 7777 -> 192.168.1.200 7777

Now if we picked 2112 as the proxy port during installation, we still need to manually bind ports 6969 and 7777 to IVSm.

Here's how to do it:

Look in the installation folder where you installed IVSmagic. By default the installation places it in "C:\Program Files\IVSmagic". There are two files we need to look for:

IVSm.ini
IVSm-httpd.conf

Let's start with IVSm.ini. Open up IVSm.ini with notepad. Find the entry for "proxy_port". As an example, if you entered "2112" as the proxy port during setup it would be listed as:

proxy_port=2112

Now to tell IVSm we also want to use 6969 and 7777, we place them on the same line seperated by commas like this:

proxy_port=2112,6969,7777

Save the file and open up IVSm-httpd.conf (located in the same folder). Scroll down a bit and look for these entries (again, as examples):

Listen 192.168.1.200:8080
Listen 192.168.1.200:2112

You will need to add two more Listen directives for 6969 and 7777. As an example the entire block would look like:

Listen 192.168.1.200:8080
Listen 192.168.1.200:2112
Listen 192.168.1.200:6969
Listen 192.168.1.200:7777

Save the file and close out notepad. You are done. Now, stop and restart the IVSmagic service (or close it out and re-launch it of you are using it as an app), then double-click the "IVSmagic" shortcut icon.

You should now see that three proxy ports are listed on the status page similar to this:

web port browser interface is bound to 192.168.1.200 port 8080
show send proxy server is bound to 192.168.1.200 ports 2112, 6969, 7777

If you see all three ports, you are good to go!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, Bob, I think it is going to be much simpler this way and easier for people to understand and configure. In the long run, I'm sure you will add configuring multiple Replays setting up the listen ports as well. But, it makes it very straight forward that the way you configure IVSmagic is to enter the Replay IP address and Replay's IVS port number. IVSmagic should automatically configure itself to listen on that port number.

And, by making this requirement, I know that you already got the host name field fixing your proxy problem, but if it is even easier, you can simply use the listen port number to compute the Replay IP. Since you will have to create a listen bound to each port number, you would already know which Replay IP that session is associated with. So, you wouldn't need to parse the host name field any longer.

I know it's not as cool, but I think it will make the IVSmagic setup and configuration much simpler. It seemed inevitable when all the Beta testers started complaining about configuring their routers and all the different firmwares they were fooling around with just to try to make things work...

Henry
naughticl
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Looks much cleaner and should be easier to manage.

In your router testing, you must have also noticed that every router labels the lays out the port forwarding process in a unique way.

On my SMC, for instance, the "Virtual Server" page lists:

Private IP, Private Port, Type (TCP or UDP), and Public Port

So for my RTV to run Wirns, I set

WirnsIP, Port 29000, TCP, 29000

When I try to add an entry for IVSM, however, as:

IVSM IP, Port 29000, TCP, 29000

I get "Entry Error".

When I set the same info as "UDP", it gets accepted.

Is that alright?
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naughticl wrote:
I like it. Looks much cleaner and should be easier to manage.

In your router testing, you must have also noticed that every router labels the lays out the port forwarding process in a unique way.

On my SMC, for instance, the "Virtual Server" page lists:

Private IP, Private Port, Type (TCP or UDP), and Public Port

So for my RTV to run Wirns, I set

WirnsIP, Port 29000, TCP, 29000

When I try to add an entry for IVSM, however, as:

IVSM IP, Port 29000, TCP, 29000

I get "Entry Error".

When I set the same info as "UDP", it gets accepted.

Is that alright?

Well, you can't send the same "Public" port to 2 different private IP addresses (or ports for that matter).

Also, WiRNS has nothing to do with the router entries unless you are using the "Secondary Web Port" on the Internet.

So, if your Replay listens on port 29000, there should only be one entry like this:

On an SMC it would look like:

Computer IP (Private IP):29000 --> TCP 29000

Like Henry said, pretty simple now.

Hope this helps!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
MaxH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're pulling support for it, does that mean I'll have to change my setup the next time I update? I have a Buffalo WBR-G54, and I have no problem assigning public ports 50801 and 50802 to 192.168.11.100:60000. If you would, Bob, please note when you post the next beta that it now requires 1:1 port forwarding, so those of us who have had it working properly can remember to change the setup.

But this really should make it easier to set up; I know most of my time explaining IVSm setup to people was spent explaining the port forwarding for the IVS proxy. That confused a lot of people who were looking at it for the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxH wrote:
So if you're pulling support for it, does that mean I'll have to change my setup the next time I update? I have a Buffalo WBR-G54, and I have no problem assigning public ports 50801 and 50802 to 192.168.11.100:60000. If you would, Bob, please note when you post the next beta that it now requires 1:1 port forwarding, so those of us who have had it working properly can remember to change the setup.

But this really should make it easier to set up; I know most of my time explaining IVSm setup to people was spent explaining the port forwarding for the IVS proxy. That confused a lot of people who were looking at it for the first time.

There isn't any reason that you can't set the current version for 1:1, so why don't you go ahead and do it now and continue your testing that way so you won't get a "surprise" in the future?

Henry

P.S. I don't think that the manufactures like explaining port forwarding, either! I don't know if their forwarding capabilities are so limited because they think it is easier for the user to understand that way, or if they just did a crappy job...
MaxH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Henry, although I'm also concerned about those out there who already have it set up with multiple ports, which is the main reason I mentioned including a reminder in the next release post. But I'll probably change the ports the next time I have no sends going.

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxH wrote:
Good point Henry, although I'm also concerned about those out there who already have it set up with multiple ports, which is the main reason I mentioned including a reminder in the next release post. But I'll probably change the ports the next time I have no sends going.

Definitely agree! But, I wouldn't want you to be one of those to get "surprised"!

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxH wrote:

The next patch will have all the support built-in (like the IVSGetUnitInfo port forward fix) .

Also, if you are positive your router COMPLETELY supports it (I am not trying to contradict you, but based on what I've seen, I highly doubt it), IVSm will still support 2:1 forwarding if you don't wish to change it. I left that support in as an option.

Like I said though for testing purposes, please use the 1:1 forwarding.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
na9d

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using an enterprise grade router can certainly forward a public port to a different private port...

Jon
scoot13
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man! This thread got me on the right track. I only have one RePlay on port 29000. In effect, all I had to do was change the port forwarding entry in my router setup that I had labled "RTV" from the IP of the Replay to the IP of the IVSm computer to get IVSm to work correctly. I just didn't grasp that from the instructions and tried to make things harder than they were, which I think is a common problem among us.

I wasted a couple of days by ADDING another line with that information on it instead of changing the existing one (or disabling it) in my router config. So I was assigning 29000 twice and I guess that was the root problem...

Everything, including loopback, is working normally now. I am able to send a show back to my computer and to track the progress of my sends. The only abby normal thing is that it won't track progress of loopback sends, they always stay at 0%. That's no big deal to me and I'm very happy to be able to track my sends.

Way to go Hairston, thanks for this awesome program!!!

Scoot
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoot13 wrote:
Thanks man! This thread got me on the right track. I only have one RePlay on port 29000. In effect, all I had to do was change the port forwarding entry in my router setup that I had labled "RTV" from the IP of the Replay to the IP of the IVSm computer to get IVSm to work correctly. I just didn't grasp that from the instructions and tried to make things harder than they were, which I think is a common problem among us.

I wasted a couple of days by ADDING another line with that information on it instead of changing the existing one (or disabling it) in my router config. So I was assigning 29000 twice and I guess that was the root problem...

Everything, including loopback, is working normally now. I am able to send a show back to my computer and to track the progress of my sends. The only abby normal thing is that it won't track progress of loopback sends, they always stay at 0%. That's no big deal to me and I'm very happy to be able to track my sends.

Scoot

YES! EXACTLY! Making it so that the only thing you have to do is to change your port forward IP address from the Replay to IVSmagic is the only way to go!

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scoot13 wrote:

Well, that's weird, I fixed that issue in the latest build. Are you by chance using WiRNS and custom IVSProvider.conf entries?

Try this for me:

Go into "Replays" and click "RDDNS" next to the Replay you sent the Loopback Send to originally. Does it show up as the same IP address as the entry in "Send Progress"?

If it doesn't than that is the issue. The next build will have support for this.

Quote:

Scoot

Thanks! Enjoy!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
drahholf
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused on one thing. With just 1 replay setup this way does my PC need to be on to send or receive shows for the entire transfer?
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your PC is proxying your IVS port. It needs to be on any time you're sending or receiving anything.
scoot13
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:

Try this for me:

Go into "Replays" and click "RDDNS" next to the Replay you sent the Loopback Send to originally. Does it show up as the same IP address as the entry in "Send Progress"?

I already deleted those entries from my transfers window so I don't really know for sure but I just sent a couple of small shows to myself from two different computers (different IPs) and they completed. It's been about 30 min and it still shows 0% on the transfers page.

The IP is definitely the same for those sends as what RDDNS showed at the start and is still the same. I'll let you know if either one ever updates.

(sorry Max, I'll un-pause yours now! )
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drahholf wrote:
I'm still confused on one thing. With just 1 replay setup this way does my PC need to be on to send or receive shows for the entire transfer?

It needs to be on to tranfer something to someone else, but you can turn it off if you know no sends are pending.

It also needs to be on to receive "Show Send Invitations", but once your Replay has received the invitation, you can shut down your computer safely, even if you haven't accepted the transfer yet.

You computer does NOT have to be on for you to "Receive" a show on your Replay, since IVSm has nothing to do with Receives.

Hope this makes sense.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
l8er
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed the instructions for adding/changing the ReplayTV IVS ports to the IVSMagic PC IP and for the first time I've got status info on a transfer:
Code:
 Sent 132 MB of 1778 MB (7.4%)

(Granted this is only my second transfer initiated in IVSMagic).
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
drahholf wrote:

It needs to be on to tranfer something to someone else, but you can turn it off if you know no sends are pending.

It also needs to be on to receive "Show Send Invitations", but once your Replay has received the invitation, you can shut down your computer safely, even if you haven't accepted the transfer yet.

You computer does NOT have to be on for you to "Receive" a show on your Replay, since IVSm has nothing to do with Receives.

Hope this makes sense.

- Bob

It makes perfect sense from a technical standpoint, but it probably doesn't make sense from a pratical standpoint. I'm sure you are aware of people only running WiRNS periodically and controlling when their Replays will net connect (not me). I'm not sure that an average user could figure out if they've received all the invitations that they were anticipating and had finished sending all the shows through IVSmagic (I know, that part's easy) so that they could turn the computer off until they wanted to either request to receive a new show or send a new show...

Henry
MaxH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, when we unzip the upgrades, do we need to stop and restart the service? First I was stopping the service, unzipping the files, then starting it. Usually if you try and upgrade an app without stopping a service, the files are in use and you can't overwrite them, but that wasn't the case with the include directory, so I unzipped the files to that directory and then stopped and restarted the service. However, I can't tell if even that is necessary. Once I unzip the files and click "status", the new version number shows up on the status page, so I wonder if it matters.

What's the word?

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxH wrote:
Bob, when we unzip the upgrades, do we need to stop and restart the service? First I was stopping the service, unzipping the files, then starting it. Usually if you try and upgrade an app without stopping a service, the files are in use and you can't overwrite them, but that wasn't the case with the include directory, so I unzipped the files to that directory and then stopped and restarted the service. However, I can't tell if even that is necessary. Once I unzip the files and click "status", the new version number shows up on the status page, so I wonder if it matters.

What's the word?

Normally it shouldn't matter as long as IVSm is idle. But just to be sure, just stop the service before unzipping the patch files, and start it back up when all the files have been replaced.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
l8er
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, to monitor the send progress of all our ReplayTVs, do we need to still manually add the info in the Everyone! Please read this first! Important setup info! thread in the latest version of IVSmagic (v0.9.1.0)? Thanks.
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in order to track the send progress of all shows being sent from all your local replays, they must be all registered in IVSm and the router setup exactly as described in that doc.

BUT...

For testing purposes though, since it is just a beta, I would only configure one Replay to forward through IVSm on the router for the time being. It's your choice however.

You will still be able to do "Send Show Notifications" and Loopback Sends and all that other good stuff with the rest of your Replays, except the send progress won't be tracked.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
rds
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to receive files, the the router is pointed to your PC & then the sender cannot find your unit.

What am I missing?
jorgejun
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rds wrote:
If you try to receive files, the the router is pointed to your PC & then the sender cannot find your unit.

What am I missing?

As Bob said earlier, your PC only has to be on to receive the invitation. The sending replay only uses your ISN find your replay and deliver the invitation.

After that, your replay sends a chunk request to the sender, and the sender replies with the requested chunk. The sender uses the IP address and port that your chunk request came from, not the IP and port that your ISN resolves to.
dvasco
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change the the proxy to the RTV port and also change the forwarding to the IVm IP for the loopback to work. I am happy I finally got this to work. I am also happy I wasn't the only person that didn't completely understand the setup.

Quote:

Here is a diagram on how it could be setup:

Replay 192.168.1.100 port 2112
PC 192.168.1.200

Upon installation of IVSmagic set the bind address of IVSm to 192.168.1.200 and bind the "proxy port" to 2112. You can set the "web port" to be anything you like as long as it's not currently bound to any other app. "8080" is a good one to try.

The port-forwarding entries on the router should be setup in this way:

TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvasco wrote:
...I am also happy I wasn't the only person that didn't completely understand the setup.

It's definitely one of those "DUH! Why didn't I see that before?" situations...
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rds wrote:

What am I missing?

If you're having problems getting things going, it's DEFINITELY best to start off as BASIC as possible:
  • Port Forward ONE ReplayTV
  • Don't use WiRNS to bypass RDDNS
  • READ ALL the previous posts, over and over [I DID! ]
  • Find a "Buddy" one day / night and work on it together [Thanks jorgejun! ]
Only *ONE* major hurdle left, the "Local_Guide boat..."
rds
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is working. I had someone tell me that they couldn't connect to one of my unites, & I posted too early as others have had no problem.

You are so right about read, re-read & re-re-read the posts & instructions.
Mannyman
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the program works like a charm.

Setting up after midnight posed problems for me, too tired to follow directions. I correctly modified .ini file and .conf file.
Somehow I thought I had changed router settings to pt. ports from Replays to PC.
When I woke up I found that I in fact did not. Everything's cool now.

Advice to others: Set-up IVSmagic while awake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: