Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technically speaking, exactly how does IVSm route traffic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! Agreed. I had just never considered it originally when I was working out all the conceptual details.

This is a moot point now anyway since I'm matching public ports to their private numerical equivalent. Oh well.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
Yup! Agreed. I had just never considered it originally when I was working out all the conceptual details.

This is a moot point now anyway since I'm matching public ports to their private numerical equivalent. Oh well.

- Bob

Yep, having a one-to-one is probably a more reliable and easier way to go...

Henry
BassKozz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
na9d wrote:
Henry,

I understand basically how the whole send/request concept works with the Replays. SonicBlue was very smart when they set it up that way - that the receiver controls the send.

What I didn't realize was that when the receiving Replay initiates the send that it uses some port OTHER than the configured IVS port. I figured that the Replay always uses the configured IVS port in all instances of passing show traffic. But from the way you described it, the IVS port is really only used for the handshaking of RDDNS and the initial connection.

I still want to think about this and draw it out, but I think I get your point.

Remember that this is pretty normal for file transfer server/client connections. A specific port number is usually for the server to listen on and few protocols originate from a specific port number. So, like most servers, your Replay is listening on the IVS port number for other Replays to contact it, but when it wants to talk to anything on the network, DNNA, IVS, etc., it comes from a dynamic port just like your PC does...

I am trying to make sence of this...
So after the initiall handshake is made all traffic flows threw what is called a "dynamic port" correct.... So from a Router/QoS standpoint, you can't adjust the QoS settings for a replay Receive, correct ?
For example if I wanted to give replay show sends a "bulk" priority settings I would set the IVS port to "bulk" but because the receive port is dynamic I can't set a QoS priority ???

What happens if the IVS port is upgraded from a "bulk" QoS priority to "Express" priorty (if I want the show faster) half way thru a receive does this get updated on the dynamic port too ?

Is there a specific port on every replay that it uses or does it change everytime and how does the router know to route the traffic to my replay if there aren't any port forwards setup (except for the initial IVS port forward [a.k.a. Hankshake port]) ?

:confused myself:
-BassKozz
1xPC - 100gigs of downloaded shows (IVSmagic)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassKozz wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
na9d wrote:
Henry,

I understand basically how the whole send/request concept works with the Replays. SonicBlue was very smart when they set it up that way - that the receiver controls the send.

What I didn't realize was that when the receiving Replay initiates the send that it uses some port OTHER than the configured IVS port. I figured that the Replay always uses the configured IVS port in all instances of passing show traffic. But from the way you described it, the IVS port is really only used for the handshaking of RDDNS and the initial connection.

I still want to think about this and draw it out, but I think I get your point.

Remember that this is pretty normal for file transfer server/client connections. A specific port number is usually for the server to listen on and few protocols originate from a specific port number. So, like most servers, your Replay is listening on the IVS port number for other Replays to contact it, but when it wants to talk to anything on the network, DNNA, IVS, etc., it comes from a dynamic port just like your PC does...

So after the initiall handshake is made all traffic flows threw what is called a "dynamic port" correct.... So from a Router/QoS standpoint, you can't adjust the QoS settings for a replay Receive, correct ?
For example if I wanted to give replay show sends a "bulk" priority settings I would set the IVS port to "bulk" but because the receive port is dynamic I can't set a QoS priority ???

What happens if the IVS port is upgraded from a "bulk" QoS priority to "Express" priorty (if I want the show faster) half way thru a receive does this get updated on the dynamic port too ?

Is there a specific port on every replay that it uses or does it change everytime and how does the router know to route the traffic to my replay if there aren't any port forwards setup (except for the initial IVS port forward [a.k.a. Hankshake port]) ?

-BassKozz

Setting QoS on incoming traffic probably doesn't make a lot of sense. What would that mean for your router to do? To send through the router the higher priority data and make the lower priority packets wait? While there could be some logic to that, I think of QoS as an outgoing process, not incoming. That's why you get lots of download bandwidth, so you don't have to care...

By the way, even with dynamic ports, it is still a fixed IP address. So, if possible, you could setup QoS by IP address...

Henry
na9d

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Henry. There's no real need to set downstream QoS since everyone has plenty of bandwidth.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
codemantx
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassKozz wrote:

-BassKozz

if you REALLY wanted to use QoS for IVS receives (which really isn't necessary because how often have you saturated your download badwidth with IVS receives?) you would add the IP(s) for your ReplayTV(s) under Netmask Priority on the QoS settings page and set those netmask(s) to bulk.
BassKozz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

So am I correct with the assumption that QoS port/service settings have "NO" effect on show receives but ony sends ?

Thanks for all the help,
-BassKozz
codemantx
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BassKozz wrote:
Ok,

So am I correct with the assumption that QoS port/service settings have "NO" effect on show receives but ony sends ?

Thanks for all the help,
-BassKozz
correct
BassKozz
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

codemantx wrote:
correct

Ok, thanks I'll leave this alone as is... If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Thanks,
-BassKozz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: