Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Technically speaking, exactly how does IVSm route traffic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
I think this was more a difference of terminology, and yours is definitely clearer. I was using the term "configured" as getting the local guide from. That terminology is from WiRNS where you configure the Replays that you want it to pull the Replay Guide from to send to Poopli. And, I guess that is what you are calling the "proxy Replay".

Oh, don't get me wrong Henry, you of all people, I KNOW you know what you are talking about. I just didn't want to confuse anybody with new (or different) terminology as far IVSm is concerned. I was not showing any disrespect at all. You are definitely the man.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
This is a question I have as well as I begin to delve into this. If I send the command:

http://external-ip:port/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo

And have the port forwarded to the Replay, it will return that Replay's ISN and nickname. Each replay has a different port at the same IP address.

Now, if one Replay's external port is forwarded into IVSMagic, then what should IVSMagic respond with? I would think that it should respond with the info of the PROXIED Replay. But right now it does nothing.

Jon,

Please see this post if you haven't checked it out already:

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10500

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
But go one step further. If I forward ALL my Replays to IVSMagic, then send this command, how does IVSMagic know WHICH Replay the external user is requesting information on? It doesn't as every single Replay will be using the SAME port on IVSM.

Yep! Nice snag. This is a conceptual error on my part if you forward more than one Replay to IVSm. I'll work it out.

I'm still not sure whether the "Receiving" Replay actually cares what is in this request as long as something actually gets sent back. I say this because the Channel entry has already been created by the data sent from the "Show Send Notification". I guess more testing will tell the tale. Wanna help?

Do you use any type of IM software? I'm usually on MSN IM and AIM. E-mail me bro!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:
This is a question I have as well as I begin to delve into this. If I send the command:

http://external-ip:port/ivs-IVSGetUnitInfo

And have the port forwarded to the Replay, it will return that Replay's ISN and nickname. Each replay has a different port at the same IP address.

Now, if one Replay's external port is forwarded into IVSMagic, then what should IVSMagic respond with? I would think that it should respond with the info of the PROXIED Replay. But right now it does nothing.

Jon,

Please see this post if you haven't checked it out already:

http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10500

- Bob

I'm glad that you answered what could cause Jon's problems, but I guess the question still remains of if you port forward all of your IVS ports for multiple Replays to IVSMagic, then how does the session Jon described get handled?

And, maybe you could provide a bit more description of how IVSMagic works with multiple Replays being proxied. I could certainly see how it would be much easier to implement that you had to configure IVSMagic with an IVS port for each Replay that you want to proxy. Then you would port forward each Replay's IVS to a unique port in IVSMagic. And, when IVSMagic received a connection on a port, then it would know which Replay to proxy to. But, since it sounds like you can setup IVSMagic with a single listen port, how does that proxy to mulitple Replays?

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
I think this was more a difference of terminology, and yours is definitely clearer. I was using the term "configured" as getting the local guide from. That terminology is from WiRNS where you configure the Replays that you want it to pull the Replay Guide from to send to Poopli. And, I guess that is what you are calling the "proxy Replay".

Oh, don't get me wrong Henry, you of all people, I KNOW you know what you are talking about. I just didn't want to confuse anybody with new (or different) terminology as far IVSm is concerned. I was not showing any disrespect at all. You are definitely the man.

- Bob

Not the slightest disrespect at all in your response and I think it is a very good idea that you have a good set of terminology for IVSMagic!

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some more guessing on how IVSMagic could work, I forgot about the fact that the Replay is HTTP session based, which means that there is host information passing through both the port forwarding and the proxy. So, since the original IVS port number is contained in the GET request, IVSMagic could easily translate that to the correct Replay assuming that you configure IVSMagic by providing the Replay's IP address and IVS port number...

Pretty silly that I haven't even installed IVSMagic, yet I am partaking in all this discussion of how it works technically!

Henry
na9d

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still confused and having difficulty sending shows via IVSm by the way.

OK, If I initiate a send on my end, I go to my Replay and select send show. Or I do it via IVSM.

In the traditional way of doing things, I make the send and it goes and contacts RDDNS, looks up the receiver's ISN, gives me the IP and port and then I go and attempt the connection. I then send the "notification" of the received show to the receiver. In that info is MY ISN. Then I close my connection.

Now minutes or perhaps hours, days or weeks later, the receiver does an "accept" show. He then connects to RDDNS, gets my IP and port and then makes the connection to me and requests the show.

OK, now throw IVSM in the picture and multiple Replays forwarded to IVSM. Suddenly a request for a show comes into to IVSM. Now, I suppose if in that request my ISN is given, then IVSM will know what to route to for the show (this is where my knowledge of the protocol breaks down). But if it is not given (because the machine asking for the transfer assumes that my Replay knows its own ISN), then HOW could IVSM know which Replay to pull from. Would it be show ID? Perhaps that's how...

But what if I have done a send from the Replay or WiRNS or Poopli but haven't updated my show database on IVSM? Then how would it know?

There's just a lot of logistics with the traffic handling that seem to have very potential problems....

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
I'm still confused and having difficulty sending shows via IVSm by the way.

OK, If I initiate a send on my end, I go to my Replay and select send show. Or I do it via IVSM.

In the traditional way of doing things, I make the send and it goes and contacts RDDNS, looks up the receiver's ISN, gives me the IP and port and then I go and attempt the connection. I then send the "notification" of the received show to the receiver. In that info is MY ISN. Then I close my connection.

Now minutes or perhaps hours, days or weeks later, the receiver does an "accept" show. He then connects to RDDNS, gets my IP and port and then makes the connection to me and requests the show.

OK, now throw IVSM in the picture and multiple Replays forwarded to IVSM. Suddenly a request for a show comes into to IVSM. Now, I suppose if in that request my ISN is given, then IVSM will know what to route to for the show (this is where my knowledge of the protocol breaks down). But if it is not given (because the machine asking for the transfer assumes that my Replay knows its own ISN), then HOW could IVSM know which Replay to pull from. Would it be show ID? Perhaps that's how...

But what if I have done a send from the Replay or WiRNS or Poopli but haven't updated my show database on IVSM? Then how would it know?

There's just a lot of logistics with the traffic handling that seem to have very potential problems....

Jon

Jon,
If you read my last guess on how IVSMagic works, it is probably very similar to the web cache in your router. And, this is also how a single web server can host multiple domains. While a domain name resolves to a single IP address, and the connection is made to that IP address, when the content request comes in, it has the original domain name in it so that the sever can select the correct domain root for web access. I am oversimplifying it a bit by using domain name, but it is basically correct. When you browse to http://www.apple.com/quicktime, it resolves www.apple.com to its IP address, connects to that IP address, and asks for /quicktime. But, it also contains the original host name: www.apple.com for the web server to figure out which host root web files it should access.

That host name information is also what lets your web cache both proxy and cache your web page requests, because you could ask yourself the same question of how your web cache proxy can be intercepting your web GET requests and still be figuring out how to send them to the correct web server.

Just to add, while you can setup a web server with a single IP address but multiple host roots, most people setup the web server with multiple IP addresses because you can still browse to http://a.b.c.d/path (like you do with WiRNS) and then the web server wouldn't be able to figure out which host root to access (because no host name was used)...

Anyway, that is how web proxying works, and Bob will have to confirm that IVSMagic uses this method as well...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:
But go one step further. If I forward ALL my Replays to IVSMagic, then send this command, how does IVSMagic know WHICH Replay the external user is requesting information on? It doesn't as every single Replay will be using the SAME port on IVSM.

Yep! Nice snag. This is a conceptual error on my part if you forward more than one Replay to IVSm. I'll work it out.

I'm still not sure whether the "Receiving" Replay actually cares what is in this request as long as something actually gets sent back. I say this because the Channel entry has already been created by the data sent from the "Show Send Notification". I guess more testing will tell the tale. Wanna help?

Do you use any type of IM software? I'm usually on MSN IM and AIM. E-mail me bro!

- Bob

I can't remember if the GET host information contains the original port number as well, which would allow you to proxy the request to the appropriate Replay eventhough IVSMagic is only serving a single port number. Unfortunately, the host itself will always be the router, so that isn't very helpful...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:

- Bob

I don't know if you saw my other suggestion of requring IVSMagic to have a listen port per Replay and configuring which port goes with which Replay ("proxy Replay"). Then you only have to also port forward each IVS port to the correct IVSMagic port. In this case, using the same port numbers for IVSMagic as are for the Replays would probably avoid a lot of confusion as well as take care of the people who can't configure their routers to forward to a different port number...

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

I could certainly see how it would be much easier to implement that you had to configure IVSMagic with an IVS port for each Replay that you want to proxy. Then you would port forward each Replay's IVS to a unique port in IVSMagic. And, when IVSMagic received a connection on a port, then it would know which Replay to proxy to. But, since it sounds like you can setup IVSMagic with a single listen port, how does that proxy to mulitple Replays?

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I guess we think alike.

For now it will show the IVSGetUnitInfo XML for the Replay you designated as a proxy and return a "404 file not found" error if no Replay is designated as a proxy.

I need to think about this more before I start hacking up the code.

Cheers!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
then HOW could IVSM know which Replay to pull from. Would it be show ID? Perhaps that's how...

No. When a "file-chunk" or "Show Request" is made the ISN is passed on the HTTP argument string. IVSm just looks up the local IP address and port info for that Replay and forwards the request blindly. It does not check to see (or cares) if the show exists. That is left to the Replay.

Quote:

Look at the above answer.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Anyway, that is how web proxying works, and Bob will have to confirm that IVSMagic uses this method as well...

Henry

Yup! Exactly. I could not have explained it any better. Nice.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

I could certainly see how it would be much easier to implement that you had to configure IVSMagic with an IVS port for each Replay that you want to proxy. Then you would port forward each Replay's IVS to a unique port in IVSMagic. And, when IVSMagic received a connection on a port, then it would know which Replay to proxy to. But, since it sounds like you can setup IVSMagic with a single listen port, how does that proxy to mulitple Replays?

EXACTLY what I was thinking. I guess we think alike.

For now it will show the IVSGetUnitInfo XML for the Replay you designated as a proxy and return a "404 file not found" error if no Replay is designated as a proxy.

I need to think about this more before I start hacking up the code.

Cheers!

- Bob

Well, since you have to have a Replay to use the ISN of and to be publishing the RDDNS info, that seems kind of strange to setup IVSMagic and not have it proxy. I guess that would still allow you to just send your archived shows and not your Replay shows, but again that sounds very strange.

I think that it would make the configuration simpler and work for more people if you only configured the IVS port number and the "proxy Replay" IP address. Then, if you want to allow configuring multiple "proxy Replays", everything will just fall in place. It certainly makes a lot of sense to me that if IVSMagic is emulating/proxying being that Replay, that it should be on the same port number as the Replay. And, then you only have to change your port forward IP address to IVSMagic and don't have to worry about changing the port number.

You could certainly have an advanced setting for configuring the IVSMagic port number separately, and that would allow it to be different than the Replay IVS port number and would also allow you to configure IVSMagic without a "proxy Replay". But, I think for the average user, only having to enter the Replay's IP and IVS port number would be a lot easier for them to figure out...

Henry

Last edited by hdonzis on Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
na9d

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:
then HOW could IVSM know which Replay to pull from. Would it be show ID? Perhaps that's how...

No. When a "file-chunk" or "Show Request" is made the ISN is passed on the HTTP argument string. IVSm just looks up the local IP address and port info for that Replay and forwards the request blindly. It does not check to see (or cares) if the show exists. That is left to the Replay.

Quote:

Look at the above answer.

- Bob

OK. That makes sense. I wasn't sure what was or was not sent in the protocols for transfering shows..

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
When a "file-chunk" or "Show Request" is made the ISN is passed on the HTTP argument string. IVSm just looks up the local IP address and port info for that Replay and forwards the request blindly. It does not check to see (or cares) if the show exists. That is left to the Replay.

- Bob

I'm sure you know the answer to this and I am interested to know how the "file-chunk" works. When a chunk is finished sending, does the Replay (and IVSmagic) go back to ready to accept a GET, like HTTP 1.1 persistant connections, or does the session end and a new session must be connected? I don't remember from doing Ethernet traces seeing connection messages during the transfer, so I was figuring that it used persistant connections. And, it could just be that with so much data that I simply missed them. But, getting back to switching over to IVSmagic while show sending is in progress, if there is a break each 4 MB chunk, that would certainly mean that it would provide a perfect opportunity to switch over...

Henry
na9d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Hairston wrote:
When a "file-chunk" or "Show Request" is made the ISN is passed on the HTTP argument string. IVSm just looks up the local IP address and port info for that Replay and forwards the request blindly. It does not check to see (or cares) if the show exists. That is left to the Replay.

- Bob

I'm sure you know the answer to this and I am interested to know how the "file-chunk" works. When a chunk is finished sending, does the Replay (and IVSmagic) go back to ready to accept a GET, like HTTP 1.1 persistant connections, or does the session end and a new session must be connected? I don't remember from doing Ethernet traces seeing connection messages during the transfer, so I was figuring that it used persistant connections. And, it could just be that with so much data that I simply missed them. But, getting back to switching over to IVSmagic while show sending is in progress, if there is a break each 4 MB chunk, that would certainly mean that it would provide a perfect opportunity to switch over...

Henry

Henry,

Bob did a nice job of allowing full access to view the Apache log from inside IVSM. It looks like it is persistent. Each "GET" command for a chunk is followed by another "GET" command.

I have it working on my XP machine finally.

Jon
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
Hairston wrote:

- Bob

Henry

Henry,

Bob did a nice job of allowing full access to view the Apache log from inside IVSM. It looks like it is persistent. Each "GET" command for a chunk is followed by another "GET" command.

I have it working on my XP machine finally.

Jon

Does it log the connections as well? Is it clear that there is no connection before each chunk GET?

Henry
na9d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

Here's some log entries (doctored to protect the guilty!):

71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:13:24 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=281018368&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202032
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:14:32 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=285212672&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201811
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:15:41 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=289406976&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202042
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:16:50 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=293601280&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201897
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:17:58 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=297795584&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202049
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:19:06 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=301989888&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201969

Jon
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
Henry,

71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:13:24 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=281018368&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202032
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:14:32 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=285212672&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201811
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:15:41 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=289406976&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202042
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:16:50 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=293601280&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201897
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:17:58 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=297795584&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4202049
71.241.xxx.xxx - - [24/Sep/2005:23:19:06 -0500] "GET /ivs-IVSGetFileChunk?isn=00004-54831-xxxx&start=301989888&chunksize=4194304&filepath=/name/mpeg/1124467200.mpg HTTP/1.1" 200 4201969

Jon

That still doesn't tell me if it is logging connects as well. So, if there is logging of connects, but not durring the chunks, then it is persistant. But, if there isn't any connection logging, then the question still isn't answered...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
Henry,

Jon

Too bad it isn't logging the GET tags. If the host tag was logged, then you could see how proxying works, and it would answer my question of if the port number is also provided...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:

- Bob

I can't remember if the GET host information contains the original port number as well, which would allow you to proxy the request to the appropriate Replay eventhough IVSMagic is only serving a single port number. Unfortunately, the host itself will always be the router, so that isn't very helpful...

Henry

To refresh my memory, I looked up of the specifications:

Quote:

14.23 Host

The Host request-header field specifies the Internet host and port number of the resource being requested, as obtained from the original URI given by the user or referring resource (generally an HTTP URL,

as described in section 3.2.2). The Host field value MUST represent the naming authority of the origin server or gateway given by the original URL. This allows the origin server or gateway to differentiate between internally-ambiguous URLs, such as the root "/" URL of a server for multiple host names on a single IP address.

Host = "Host" ":" host [ ":" port ] ; Section 3.2.2

A "host" without any trailing port information implies the default port for the service requested (e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL). For example, a request on the origin server for <http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/> would properly include:

GET /pub/WWW/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.w3.org

A client MUST include a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request messages . If the requested URI does not include an Internet host name for the service being requested, then the Host header field MUST be given with an empty value. An HTTP/1.1 proxy MUST ensure that any request message it forwards does contain an appropriate Host header field that identifies the service being requested by the proxy. All Internet-based HTTP/1.1 servers MUST respond with a 400 (Bad Request) status code to any HTTP/1.1 request message which lacks a Host header field.

And, seeing that the port number is provided, this should provide the capability for IVSmagic to proxy to the correct Replay even if IVSmagic is configured for a single listen port and multiple Replay IVS port numbers are forwarded to the single IVSmagic port. So, if IVSmagic is configured for each Replay IP address and IVS port number, then it should be a snap...

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:

Henry

EXCELLENT question! Gawd I love techies!

Each 4MB file chunk request is it's own HTTP session, that is why it is so resilient. Granted this is a little cost worthy as far as bandwidth and resources is concerned, but hey, it works.

Here is another cool thing I saw, if a Replay is only grabbing one show it will make the subsequent "file-chunk" request before the previous one is finished. This speeds things up a bit, but it costs more bandwidth.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
na9d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If each chunk is 4 Megs and if each chunk has successive ID numbers (it sorta looks like that), then this seems like the easiest way to track show send progress.

Going further, I would think you could set up IVSM to watch the ethernet traffic and parse it and based on what it sees, then track progress that way. This way you wouldn't even need to have the Replays routed through IVSM and it could track any send regardless of if the send initiated in IVSM or not...

Maybe that's asking too much but it "seems" like it would work...

Jon
eclectic
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
Going further, I would think you could set up IVSM to watch the ethernet traffic and parse it and based on what it sees, then track progress that way. This way you wouldn't even need to have the Replays routed through IVSM and it could track any send regardless of if the send initiated in IVSM or not...

Jon
It would work just fine...unless you're using switched ethernet instead of a hub. Unfortunately, (well not really unfortunate) most modern routers and comm gear is switched. You'd never see the traffic.
na9d

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
na9d wrote:

Jon
It would work just fine...unless you're using switched ethernet instead of a hub. Unfortunately, (well not really unfortunate) most modern routers and comm gear is switched. You'd never see the traffic.

Hmm...Good point. I was thinking that I can do this from my PC - watch all traffic on my network. But that is using software that works with my Router where my router is watching all the traffic.

Jon
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Henry

EXCELLENT question! Gawd I love techies!

Each 4MB file chunk request is it's own HTTP session, that is why it is so resilient. Granted this is a little cost worthy as far as bandwidth and resources is concerned, but hey, it works.

Here is another cool thing I saw, if a Replay is only grabbing one show it will make the subsequent "file-chunk" request before the previous one is finished. This speeds things up a bit, but it costs more bandwidth.

- Bob

Ah! Obviously that would only be possible with independent sessions. Otherwise the Replay wouldn't respond to the overlapped file chunk requests unless the only point was to make sure that another request was already in the sending Replay's receive buffer so it wouldn't pause sending...

And, YEAH, that is a bit costly to create a new session for each file chunk! That's why they came up with persistant connections! And, if the receiving Replay has to re-RDDNS for each file chunk, that is even more costly. But, I guess that would allow the senders IP address to change mid-transfer. But, since RDDNS only updates per net connect, that point doesn't make any sense...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
eclectic wrote:
na9d wrote:

Jon

Hmm...Good point. I was thinking that I can do this from my PC - watch all traffic on my network. But that is using software that works with my Router where my router is watching all the traffic.

Jon

Yep, you'd either have to have a pretty expensive router with policy based routing, or at least a managed switch with port mirroring (or a HUB) in order to get all the Replay traffic sent to IVSmagic just to monitor it. A bit steep of a requirement, but it certainly gets rid of the need for proxying!

Henry
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:

Well, I finally got this issue worked out with the "IVSGetUnitInfo" forwarding problem with multiple local Replays.

Actually it was MUCH easier than I thought. I forgot that the HTTP 1.1 spec has it's request line passed in the header. I was easily able to yank the original port number off this and compare it to the local registered Replays and BOOM it worked without a hitch.

I'd like to thank Henry, he was the one that reminded me of this.

Cheers bro!

The fix will be in the next maintenance release.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hairston wrote:
Hairston wrote:
na9d wrote:

Well, I finally got this issue worked out with the "IVSGetUnitInfo" forwarding problem with multiple local Replays.

Actually it was MUCH easier than I thought. I forgot that the HTTP 1.1 spec has it's request line passed in the header. I was easily able to yank the original port number off this and compare it to the local registered Replays and BOOM it worked without a hitch.

I'd like to thank Henry, he was the one that reminded me of this.

Cheers bro!

The fix will be in the next maintenance release.

- Bob

Well, the extension to the spec was made specifically to make it possible to host multiple domains from a single IP and to make proxying work, so it seemed like the best way to go...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: