Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need IR Code for TIVO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Need IR Code for TIVO Reply with quote

I need to find a IR code for my Tivo so that I can use my 5360 replay to change channels.
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want your ReplayTV dvr to change channels on your Tivo dvr? If so, why?
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can use the LaHo EPG. I just got my Replay tv from ebay and I love the commercial skip on it. My Tivo is my only cable box I have. I watch most of my shows in SD, so recording or time shifting them onto the Replay with the Ad skip feature would be great. My Tivo I would have to record everything and then fast forward, with the Replay I can just delay playback, until the show ends, and then the ads are removed automatically when I watch the show, without having to record it to the replay. It's kind of like Delayed/Real time.
I guess I would like to have the Replay as a stand alone extra dvr.
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could certainly create a rid file that would let your Replay control your Tivo, but in order for it to work, you would have to always leave your Tivo in a constant mode where entering channel numbers would tune to a channel, so it can't be in the Tivo version of Replay Guide mode, etc. So basically, you need to never use your Tivo again and just use the Replay.

Is that workable for you?
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robman,

What do you mean by "you would have to always leave your Tivo in a constant mode where entering channel numbers would tune to a channel"? My Tivo is always on, there is no power switch, I can turn the TV off and let a show play (lets say a 1/2 hour show), with the Tivo output connected to the Replay input, then turn on the tv and rewind to the beginning of the show on the Replay and then watch the show without ads.
If you can create a rid file for the Replay to change channels on the Tivo, how do you get that rid file on my Replay? It would make my Replay setup great, if I could do that. I can change between using the Tivo dvr and the Replay dvr, by just changing inputs on my Sony TV. I hope you can follow what I'm trying to do. Thanks for any help!
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that a cable box serves no other purpose than to tune to channels, so when Replay tells a cable box to tune to channel 52, it just sends 5 and 2 (and maybe ENTER), that's it. So, the question is, when you pick up the Tivo remote and just type 5-2, will it always tune to channel 52, or does it depend on what mode the Tivo is in? The Replay won't send any other buttons, so the Tivo would need to be in a mode that is ready to tune to a channel.
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Tivo is always in that mode, just press the 5 and the 2 on the remote and it will change to that channel. You do not need to press 'Enter' either. I just need a simple channel changing function. I have a Tivo Premiere and a 5000 Replay dvr with a 320Gb drive. Thanks for listening and helping.
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more point. I need to have the EPG on the Replay do the channel changing. For example: click on a show in the EPG listing and have the Replay change the channel on the Tivo. ( It needs to be able to do this for timed recordings )
The Robman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get that, once the IR code is loaded, that's how it will work. I just assumed that the Tivo worked in a similar manner to how Replay works, and if it did, this probably wouldn't work. For example, if you were trying to do this in reverse (ie, using the Replay as your "cable box" and having the Tivo control it), if you left the Replay in Channel Guide mode, entering 52 would not tune to channel 52. Likewise, if the Replay was in Replay Guide mode, or Replay Zones mode, entering 52 would not tune to channel 52.

But if you're correct that the Tivo will tune to the channel regardless of what mode it was in, I will create a rid file for you then you will need to load it into your Replay (so read up on how to do that if you don't already know).
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the way the Tivo works. What is the easiest way to load it into my replay. I have been reading about 3 different ways. Thanks again.
The Robman

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rid file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=14064

I'm not an expert at loading them, so others will need to help with that.

More info here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8436
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much Rob. I will try to find help with loading the file.
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added the Tivo Code 1000 to the LaHo set of IR Codes.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! THANKS! THANKS! You and Rob are GREAT!!!! It works!!!!! I will now go sign up for a subscription. Thanks again, unbelievable. It works KOOL!!!
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know, and I think it's safe to say that you're the first person ever to program a Replay to control a Tivo, gotta love it.
ejcor1949
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to love you guys!!! nod
jole60
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an early ReplayTV addict and more recent Tivo fan, I've looked for ways to more fully integrate these devices into my home theater experience. This thread has been especially informative, and I'm now using WiRNS and the IR Blaster on a 5080 Replay to control a TivoHD with installed Cable Card and attached Cisco Tuning Adapter. The Tivo and TA are on 24/7. Consistent with (1) limitations of the TA, which has to be frequently re-booted in order to maintain connection with the Tivo; and (2) need for the Tivo to be in a non-menu Live TV state in order to respond to IR Blaster commands, both devices are also on separate timers. The Tivo remains on while the TA is powered off at 1:00 am and re-powered on at 1:10 am MWF each week. When the TA completes the boot process, usually within 10 minutes, the Tivo displays a TA menu requiring user intervention to select between continuation to the Tivo Home Page or testing of the TA channels. This action is by-passed by having the TA remain on while the Tivo is powered down at 1: 30 am and re-powered at 1:40 am on the same weekly schedule. The Tivo boots to the Home Page menu within 10 minutes and automatically switches to Live TV shortly thereafter. This ensures more reliable ReplayTV control of the Tivo as well as integration of Tivo into Replay networking and streaming.

There is a problem involving IR Blaster Fine Tuning which remains unresolved, however, and I am hoping that members with more knowledge can provide guidance. The Replay default settings lead to frequent channel tuning and dropout errors, notably where same digit repeats are involved. For example, 20 or 22 may be tuned instead of 220; or a TA error message may display when tuning 300; or a channel initially tuned to 105 may switch to 7 when re-tuned to 57. I've made various Fine Tuning adjustments which result in more correct tuning but add considerable delay (15+ seconds) before the channel can be viewed. The most recent settings are:

Enable Fine Tuning- Yes
Codeset- 1000
Send Enter- No
Minimum # of digits to send- 1
Inter-action delay: (milliseconds)- 1000
Response Delay: (milliseconds)- 0600
Pre-command delay: (milliseconds)- 0400
Inter-Command delay: (milliseconds)- 0800

Any assistance in improving these settings will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Special Thanks to ejcor1949 for starting this topic and The Robman for his typical thoroughness in follow through with .rid file development!
commercialskippy
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just set this up with an older unactivated Tivo and it's working great, no problems with channel changes. Basically the tivo is acting as a cable box, it's not a bad set up for a 32" screen.

Thanks for the code!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: