Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting: Where's My Problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting: Where's My Problem? Reply with quote

So glad to see folks are still posting! Last night, I ran into a problem I'm hoping someone can help me track down & resolve.

This is my setup: I use Schedules Direct to serve the guide to WiRNS, which then sends the guide data to 3 RTVs and multiple instances of DVA on my computer. I personally never directly use the RTVs (my partner does) -- they record stuff I download to my PC through DVA on a regular basis (every week or two). Also, while I have multiple DVA instances, I only every run one at a time.

The problem: last night, I ran DVA to schedule a show to record on one of the RTVs. Because the show is 10 days out, I needed to update the TV Listings, and that's where the problem started. IIRC, I had last updated the DVA TV listings a week before -- there was still current guide data, so it couldn't have been that long ago.

The TV Listings update ran into a problem that started quickly eating up memory (currently set at 404 MB) and issuing warnings.

This is the problem that showed up on the Message tab:
04/27 14:57:00 Beginning download and update of TV Listings
04/27 14:57:07 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:14 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:20 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:26 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:33 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:38 ERROR: REPLAYTV:: Unable to update channel/show information from server -- update abandoned
04/27 14:57:39 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:45 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:52 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:57:58 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:58:04 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:58:09 ERROR: REPLAYTV:: Unable to update channel/show information from server -- update abandoned
04/27 14:58:15 ERROR: TVGUIDE:: Lost synchronization with remote TV Channel stream, remote Chan=59296 but chan list[364] has 71280 [1356 (SUNDHD)] -- TV Channel listings may be out of date
04/27 14:58:18 Warn: DVArchive is getting a bit LOW on Memory -- consider upping the -Xmx parameter -- perhaps to 468MB (currently it's 404MB)

That repeated ad nauseum until the warning got to REALLY, REALLY LOW. Yikes.

OK, so I can increase the memory, but what the heck does the "TVGUIDE" error mean & how do I resolve it?

I don't even know where to look -- is the problem with Schedules Direct, WiRNS, DVA, or somewhere else?

As always, many TIAs for any direction. I've been using this setup for so long and it works so well that when something malfunctions, I'm knocked for a loop, particularly when there are so many moving parts (SD, WiRNS, & DVA).

Saundra
jhagen
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you my thoughts on the problem.

Since DVA is reporting the errors, there is something it does not like. I doubt that it is DVA since that has not changed in many years.

The log messages seem to indicate there is something in the guide data that is does not like about the SUNDHD channel guide data. I would do another guide update from Schedules Direct and try again. Maybe it is a one time error from Schedules Direct.
You could also try deleting the SUNDHD channel from your guide data to see if there are any other channels that cause a problem.

As far as DVA running out of memory, this maybe cause by an error in DVA that only happens when it encounters the guide data error.

Jim
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Troubleshooting: Where's My Problem? Reply with quote

• sslund wrote:
    ...Last night, I ran into a problem I'm hoping someone can help me track down & resolve.

This is my setup: I use Schedules Direct to serve the guide to WiRNS, which then sends the guide data to 3 RTVs and multiple instances of DVA on my computer. I personally never directly use the RTVs (my partner does) -- they record stuff I download to my PC through DVA on a regular basis (every week or two). Also, while I have multiple DVA instances, I only every run one at a time.

The problem: last night, I ran DVA to schedule a show to record on one of the RTVs. Because the show is 10 days out, I needed to update the TV Listings, and that's where the problem started. IIRC, I had last updated the DVA TV listings a week before -- there was still current guide data, so it couldn't have been that long ago.

The TV Listings update ran into a problem that started quickly eating up memory (currently set at 404 MB) and issuing warnings.

This is the problem that showed up on the Message tab...

...04/27 14:58:18 Warn: DVArchive is getting a bit LOW on Memory -- consider upping the -Xmx parameter -- perhaps to 468MB (currently it's 404MB)

That repeated ad nauseum until the warning got to REALLY, REALLY LOW. Yikes.

OK, so I can increase the memory, but what the heck does the "TVGUIDE" error mean & how do I resolve it?

I don't even know where to look -- is the problem with Schedules Direct, WiRNS, DVA, or somewhere else?

As always, many TIAs for any direction. I've been using this setup for so long and it works so well that when something malfunctions, I'm knocked for a loop, particularly when there are so many moving parts (SD, WiRNS, & DVA).

Saundra
  • jhagen wrote:
    I will give you my thoughts on the problem.

Since DVA is reporting the errors, there is something it does not like. I doubt that it is DVA since that has not changed in many years.

The log messages seem to indicate there is something in the guide data that is does not like about the SUNDHD channel guide data. I would do another guide update from Schedules Direct and try again. Maybe it is a one time error from Schedules Direct.
    You could also try deleting the SUNDHD channel from your guide data to see if there are any other channels that cause a problem.

As far as DVA running out of memory, this maybe cause by an error in DVA that only happens when it encounters the guide data error.

Jim
  • Spot on! thumbsup
I agree with @jhagen (AVS @Whitebar?).

DVArchive is *USUALLY* 'Rock Solid' *UNTIL* it either encounters something new that it wasn't coded to expect *OR* one of its XML files gets corrupted. Do *NOT* change any DVArchive parameters!

If you remember reading about a past problem, 'some' channel decided to schedule (something like) 5 minute long shows in the Guide (you can SEARCH the PlanetReplay Archives for the details - if I remember it, I probably replied / participated in the discussion with Henry; maybe @srfrdan remembers also...) and it LOCKED things up until that channel was deleted. Let's begin by ASSUME'ng the same with your problem - one channel / one problem.

Temporarily remove SUNDHD, re-start DVArchive and please report what what happens. idea!
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

The problem is resolved. I'm not sure what the problem was, but since I didn't see any errors in the WiRNS log, I tried the simple route: there was no channel 364 in my DVA guide, so I removed [1356 (SUNDHD)] from the guide. When I closed that window, it updated things on its own, and then I shut down DVA. I restarted DVA and made [1356 (SUNDHD)] visible, and the guide updated with no errors

I do so love my setup because it does what I need it to do, but when there's a hiccough, it always feels like a crap shoot for which of the three moving parts to start with <sigh>. Since easiest approach worked, I'm a happy camper and really appreciate the help!

THANKS!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: