Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVArchive shows startup screen and immediately quits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: DVArchive shows startup screen and immediately quits Reply with quote

I've been using DVArchive for a long time with no problem. But starting tonight it just stopped working. When I try to start it (by double clicking on the DVArchive.jar shortcut) I see the startup screen (not the full UI) for a split second - then nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to where the dva.

.xml is stored in ur user or doc file and delete DVA_TV document file and restart dva
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that as a potential fix when searching, but I don't have any .xml files in my DVArchive directory. Does that make any sense?

Thanks.
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a search of my C drive. Couldn't find that file anywhere on the C Drive.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u have wxp or vista there in ur documents file, all newer os there under users file
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Windows 7. Couldn't find the xml file anywhere on my drive. Any idea why that would be?
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth (maybe very little), I just installed DVArchive on my wife's laptop, and it fired right up and immediately recognized both our replay devices. So it seems clear it's a problem with my laptop, and not the devices.

I've got this idea that it's likely a problem with a firewall or virus scanner. Does that make any sense?
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive restarted the comp when the tv file thing didnt work and that fixed it, but theres usually a mssage when dva fried and failed to start. do u have an ext. hdd that the xmls may have installed to? ur wifes machine should show the backup xmls inthe doc. or users file. if the tv guide is setup its files are there too
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an external hard-drive on my laptop. I've been using DVArchive on my laptop for a long time with no trouble.

>> theres usually a mssage when dva fried and failed to start.

Where would I see these messages? I normally start the program by clicking a shortcut in my DVArchive folder. At that point the splash-screen appears very briefly... then nothing. Not sure where I'd see any messages.

>> ur wifes machine should show the backup xmls inthe doc. or users file

I just searched both the C and D drives for DVA_TV. No results. Is that the file I'm looking for?

Thanks for bearing with me.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tryiing to get u a pic but no luck pasting here. my path is C:\User\d\DVArchive.xml. here is how as i said http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16586&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW - you fixed it! Thanks so much. I had been searching for DVA_TV. But it was DVArchive.xml as you pointed out in your most recent message. I found that exactly where you indicated, changed its name, and I was good to go again.

Thanks again!
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this issue comes up every other week it seems for someone for the first time. it happens to me alot mostly after a sudden shutdown of the comp where dva doesnt close properly. also sometimes the start screen will stay open with some error message, just restart the comp if that occurs
spork
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that this has never happened to me before. But now I've added it to my notes so I should be able to sort it out quickly. Thanks again!
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: I did it the hard way to overcome install problem Reply with quote

The other methods did not work for me. DVA_TV.xml was deleted; same problem (startup GUI flashes, DVArchive quits). Tried renaming several DVArchive.xml* files to DVArchive.xml; same problem. Went into backup history, to known good files, renamed DVArchive.xml* files to DVArchive.xml; same problem.

Upon new install of DVArchive, TVguide enabling had hiccup getting zip code (timeout). Never found a workaround.

Solution I used:
0. exit DVArchive
1. delete all DVArchive.xml* files from C:\Documents and Settings\(user) directory.
2. rerun DVArchive install: accept license, etc.
3. open known good DVArchive.xml file from history USE NOTEPAD
4. open newly installed DVArchive.xml file in C:\Documents and Settings\(user) directory USE NOTEPAD
5. find the <TV_GUIDE> section start and end in good file and copy over that section in newly installed .xml file (see note at end of post, as this can be painful)
6. I have tasks assigned, so do the same for the <eventScheduler>
start and end section.

Start DVArchive. This gave a fresh install. TVGuide, tasks, etc. all there.

7. The storage paths were pretty easy to redo, so I just did those manually.

For me, it cleaned up multiple things DVArchive had messed up over time, but were not a reason to troubleshoot the install. My guess is these multiple mess-ups accumulated to some setup that stopped DVArchive from firing up properly.

Pain relief:
1. Open both .xml files in internet explorer, which for me was the default opening program for .xml files.
2. See what is before and after the <section> to help with finding the <section> in notepad.
3. find the first instance of the known good DVArchive.xml <section> in notepad and copy from the start of the <section> all the way to the end of the file.
3.5 open a new, empty notepad file and copy from step 3
4. in the new notepad file, find the end of the <section> and delete everything after the end of the <section> to the end of the file.
5. at this point, your new file should start with <section> and end with <section>
6. copy this file
7. in the newly installed DVArchive.xml file, overwrite that <section> start to finish.

Like I said, this is the hard way. Works like a champ, though. I hope I don't have to do it again. And if you have to get bailed out, this method is tried and true.

As usual,
Pete
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I did it the hard way to overcome install problem Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
The other methods did not work for me. DVA_TV.xml was deleted; same problem (startup GUI flashes, DVArchive quits). Tried renaming several DVArchive.xml* files to DVArchive.xml; same problem. Went into backup history, to known good files, renamed DVArchive.xml* files to DVArchive.xml; same problem.

Upon new install of DVArchive, TVguide enabling had hiccup getting zip code (timeout). Never found a workaround.

Solution I used:
  1. Exit DVArchive
  2. Delete all DVArchive.xml* files from C:\Documents and Settings\(user) directory.
  3. Rerun DVArchive install: accept license, etc.
  4. Open known good DVArchive.xml file from history USE NOTEPAD
  5. Open newly installed DVArchive.xml file in C:\Documents and Settings\(user) directory USE NOTEPAD
  6. Find the <TV_GUIDE> section start and end in good file and copy over that section in newly installed .xml file (see note at end of post, as this can be painful)
  7. I have tasks assigned, so do the same for the <eventScheduler> start and end section.

Start DVArchive. This gave a fresh install. TVGuide, tasks, etc. all there.

8. The storage paths were pretty easy to redo, so I just did those manually.
For me, it cleaned up multiple things DVArchive had messed up over time, but were not a reason to troubleshoot the install. My guess is these multiple mess-ups accumulated to some setup that stopped DVArchive from firing up properly.

Pain relief:
  1. Open both .xml files in Internet Explorer, which for me was the default opening program for .xml files.
  2. See what is before and after the <section> to help with finding the <section> in NOTEPAD.
  3. Find the first instance of the known good DVArchive.xml <section> in NOTEPAD and copy from the start of the <section> all the way to the end of the file.
  4. Open a new, empty NOTEPAD file and copy from step 3
  5. In the new NOTEPAD file, find the end of the <section> and delete everything after the end of the <section> to the end of the file.
  6. At this point, your new file should start with <section> and end with <section>
  7. Copy this file
  8. In the newly installed DVArchive.xml file, overwrite that <section> start to finish.
Like I said, this is the hard way. Works like a champ, though. I hope I don't have to do it again. And if you have to get bailed out, this method is tried and true.

As usual,
Pete

This is GREAT info and needs to be a STICKY. thumbsup

I have a corrupt DVArchive.xml file with TONs of customizations that I invested HOURs unsuccessfully trying to fix - even d/l'd a XML Editor. Once I repair / replace / recover the failing SCSI Boot HDD on my DVArchive Server, I look forward to giving these excellent, precise instructions a whirl.

Thanks Pete!
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: I did it the hard way to overcome install problem Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:

Curious that enabling the TV guide on a fresh DVArchive install times out. It should work...and did work using the workaround.
TakeTheActive wrote:

This is GREAT info thumbsup
I look forward to giving these excellent, precise instructions a whirl.
Thanks Pete!

You are welcome and I hope they work for you! Please post your results.
As usual,
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: