Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to get a 5060 to do recurring manual recordings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: how to get a 5060 to do recurring manual recordings Reply with quote

Current situation: I've set the unit to manually record from a specified input in 4 hour blocks to cover 24 hours per day. The input is a surveillance system.

This was working for a while but for whatever reason, now it doesn't.

I've read that I can use WiRNS to give the unit something to log into and that should be enough to set the clock or whatever it needs to do to allow me to record. But I've tried to go into the 243 zones menu to manually connect and that doesn't seem to work.

Connecting from WiRNS doesn't seem to work either.

If anyone could help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any additional info.

I'm running WiRNS in a VM since Kaspersky keeps shooting it down when I run it under my full OS but it has direct access to the network and it sees the replay unit.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you use LaHo and not WiRNS. The LaHo "Goodwill" service will set your clock and keep your unit activated.

Just change your ReplayTV to manual networking and set DNS to 207.58.129.219 and that should do it. There is no need to set up an account at percdata.

Once you've connected to LaHo, I think you can set DNS back to automatic.
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried setting dns1 to that address and it hung on the last node of the address. I had to unplug the box and restart. But when I did, I got a blue screen that says 'no video signal detected' 'confirm you subscribe to this channel' 'verify that all of your a/v components are turned on' etc.

And the box doesn't respond to any commands from the remote.
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm completely locked out now. Is there anyway I can do a factory reset w/o the remote control. Maybe from WiRNS?
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm using aftermarket Harmony remotes and I think something was wrong with them. I'm back in now.

I had to change both DNS 1 and 2 to the indicated IP address to get it to take otherwise it reverted to the ones dictated by the router.

But when I did that it didn't work and the connection timed out. when I clicked on 'details' on the error screen next to the ip address of 207.58.129.219 it says "not reachable" for both instances.

I also tried typing that address into my web browser and you get a generic web page saying "web server's default page" indicating that it's a defunct web site.

Maybe that's not the right IP address?
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, never mind. After I posted that I looked at the screen again and it was transferring data. I don't know why it would say it was unreachable. I guess maybe it was temporarily because midway through there was an error and it said it would continue the transfer later.

So it looks like it's going to work.

I'll keep checking in and keep you posted. Thanks you for the assistance.

And by the way, for anyone who wants the link to the tutorial that outlines how to do this --> http://www.percdata.com/faq/replaytv (scroll down)
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI.. that part in that tutorial about creating an account at percdata can be ignored if you just want to set your clock and activate a unit.
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it didn't pick up the manual recordings I had programmed. Maybe it hasn't finished updating.

I deleted them all and reprogrammed them. when I do that it will generally pickup the first one I program. I'll see tomorrow if it picks up the next one at 5am.

Thanks again.

edit: btw way, why do you need to change your zip. I didn't do that and it seemed to update. Do I need to go back and change it even though it seems to be working?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the zipcode forces a request for new lineup info.

In your case (Goodwill) you don't want a new lineup, and LaHo wouldn't provide you one anyway since it isn't tied to a percdata account.

Robert
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you.

Good news. It looks like Replay has picked up the next manual recordings automatically since I can see the recording light is on this morning/afternoon.

Looking at the recorded show menu though it seems that it's added an hour to the recording times so instead of recording from 1-5pm it's recording from 2-6pm. That's not a problem but it's a little weird. It's as if it defaulted to DST rather than standard time.

Either way, it's working and recording my surveillance footage which is all I care about so I'm very grateful to LaHo and for the help you've provided.

I've always loved my replaytv and I'm sort of amazed that it still works after all of these years. But as long as it does I'm going to keep using it and it's great that there's a community like this that is keeping it alive.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities...

1. LaHo may have set your timezone wrong. Did you change your zipcode? That may have changed your timezone. Heck, even without changing it, it could have changed the timezone. I don't remember what it defaults to. If it really bothers you, sign up for a perc trial set your zip-code and let it expire.

2. Your unit may not have had the correct DST rules.... I seem to remember DNNA wanted us to do something to the get new rules. Or LaHo could have sent it to you anyway.

Robert
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right. I completely forgot about the old dst rules. Thanks.

I don't actually care. It's not a problem because the video stream is time stamped so it doesn't matter. It just threw me off since i had coded the manual recordings with different times so I thought it was odd that the replay changed those. Especially since from its perspective we hadn't been in DST since Oct 30th.

Since all of the 4 hour blocks are shifted an hour forward, I still get the same result which is 24 hour coverage and that's all I care about.

edit: and no, the zip wasn't changed. It's still my same NJ zip.
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I should start a new thread for this. I'll toss this out here and see what happens then decide.

Everything seemed to be working fine but I noticed that after some period of time the Replay would stop recording from the surveillance system.

When this happened, I would have to go into the manual recordings and make some minor change. Didn't seem to matter what as long as I changed something. As long as I did that, it would start recording again.

After this happened several times I finally figured out that the period seems to be 10 days. I don't know what's special about 10 days but that seems to be the interval.

Also the clock is always 5 hours off. The Replay seems to think that we are on GMT. I don't really care about that since the video is time stamped but I thought it was weird.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea on the 10 days... has it always done that? How long are your recordings?

I'm not surprised about UTC, LaHo may set your timezone to that if it doesn't know what timezone... I don't remember what the default is for Goodwill.

Robert
dexyth
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the max for manual recordings which I think is 4 hours. So I have 6 blocks of 4 hours to cover a 24 hour day and I can get almost 3 full days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 5000/5500 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: