Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New channel lineup and SD guide errors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: New channel lineup and SD guide errors Reply with quote

My cable company, Suddenlink has announced a major lineup change soon. It has not happened yet.

SchedulesDirect has messed this up. Instead of the expected "rebuild" lineup, there is only one lineup available and it has BOTH old and new channel assignments. For example, channel 54 here is HGTV, and they're changing it to BBCA (which I prefer). The single guide (as seen on the SD website) shows both:

54 BBCA
54 HGTV

The Replays will show the FIRST of these (BBCAHD), but the channel actually had HGTV on it, so the wrong thing is recorded.

I wonder is this'll be any less of a mess when SuddenLink actually changes the lineup.

I have a JIT recording setup to record "Star Trek", which is on BBCA (actually channel 65 now). With this new guide, the Replay records from 54 (WRONG, that's HGTV).

I could do without recordings for a couple of days, but I wonder if the guide'll be OK then.
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to look at the raw data at Schedules Direct, it probably has FROM= and TO= dates in the channel mapping. That's the way we get the data from Gracenote.

Most apps ignore those fields. If WiRNS does ignore it, that would happen.

For a workaround, edit your lineup at SD and disable the channel changes that haven't yet. (and reverse it once it does).
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
If you were to look at the raw data at Schedules Direct, it probably has FROM= and TO= dates in the channel mapping. That's the way we get the data from Gracenote.

Most apps ignore those fields. If WiRNS does ignore it, that would happen.

For a workaround, edit your lineup at SD and disable the channel changes that haven't yet. (and reverse it once it does).

So it appears that SD isn't doing anything wrong (other than the unwanted alphabetization, that makes editing the list harder and failing to show this FROM/TO information on their own website). I could edit it, maybe once they make the change (it really isn't worth it for one day). I'll edit it tomorrow (if necessary, and if SuddenLink isn't late).
Has a Replay 5xxx

"There are only 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't"
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> I guess I could add it to the lineup report pretty easily... I'll do it.

update: I've added effective/expiration dates to the lineup report. I haven't migrated the code to Perc yet, but I will.

BTW, expired stations already didn't appear in the lineup report and I think the downloaded data. The expiration for your stations is tomorrow 11/15. but since it's already 11/15 UTC, those stations should be missing from future downloads.

Robert
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:

update: I've added effective/expiration dates to the lineup report. I haven't migrated the code to Perc yet, but I will.

BTW, expired stations already didn't appear in the lineup report and I think the downloaded data. The expiration for your stations is tomorrow 11/15. but since it's already 11/15 UTC, those stations should be missing from future downloads.

Robert

SD now lists only the new lineup. I just need to wait for Suddenlink to change. I hope they're not late.

I seem to have discovered a problem with WiRNS.
Has a Replay 5xxx

mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlloyd wrote:
rmeden wrote:

Robert

SD now lists only the new lineup. I just need to wait for Suddenlink to change. I hope they're not late.

I seem to have discovered a problem with WiRNS.

It's now tomorrow. The SD guide is OK. The new lineup is in effect. There were just problems for a couple of days before the transition.

SD seemed to be providing the proper guide data, although their page (edit lineup) didn't indicate what was happening.

WiRNS seemed to be ignoring the FROM and TO dates, and using either the old of the new channel (inconsistent, depending on inappropriate alphabetization).

BTW, the cable here now has no channels that aren't encrypted. Suddenlink was telling the truth when they said the DigitaLinks were required (Pace DC60Xu, easily setup with Replay code 1982).
Has a Replay 5xxx

rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Edit lineup" still doesn't display start/stop dates for stations, but the SD-DD server doesn't output stations past the expiration date. The start/stop dates are available in the "lineup report".
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
"Edit lineup" still doesn't display start/stop dates for stations, but the SD-DD server doesn't output stations past the expiration date. The start/stop dates are available in the "lineup report".

I found out ho to get that information after first posting about this problem, so I know that the data was actually correct. However, one (relatively unimportant) error is that the analog lineup is still there, even though no analog channels are available here.

It appears that the more serious problem was WiRNS not handling the start/stop dates, so I was getting errors (Replays recording from the wrong channel) on the 13th and 14th.

I don't have any Replays using LaHo, do I don't know if the error appeared there.
Has a Replay 5xxx

rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable company may notify Gracenote that the "analog" lineup is no longer available, but it could just be a "analog tier". Or more accurately, "formerly-analog tier" That's what they call it.. you may still need a box to decode it, but a cheaper box than the one they offer for their "digital" lineup.

Basically, the names are marketing, not technical. Of course SD is just the messenger, we don't set the names!

Robert
mlloyd
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
The cable company may notify Gracenote that the "analog" lineup is no longer available, but it could just be a "analog tier". Or more accurately, "formerly-analog tier" That's what they call it.. you may still need a box to decode it, but a cheaper box than the one they offer for their "digital" lineup.

Basically, the names are marketing, not technical. Of course SD is just the messenger, we don't set the names!
Robert

There are no analog channels. All the digital channels are encrypted.

I did a channel scan yesterday and it found 3 channels, numbers 15, 70, and 75-998. There was no audio/video on any of them.

I have had cable here since 1988, and they have never advertised something as "analog tier". The analog service was called "basic", "budget basic" (2-22 only), or "extended basic" (2-99). The lowest tier they advertise now is called "SL200", which includes 2-199, and music channels 901-950. HD seems to now be a standard part of service. I don't know if they have any SD-only service. There is "SL300", Spanish, and premium packages.
Has a Replay 5xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: