Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing WiRNS On Backup Networked Computer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jole60
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Installing WiRNS On Backup Networked Computer Reply with quote

I am running WiRNS 3.0 on my primary computer and wish to install this program, with identical configuration, on a backup computer on the same network. Both computers will have the same static IP, but only one of these will be powered at any given time. This will avoid networking issues as well as need to change WiRNS and ReplayTV settings when using WiRNS on either computer for net connect or other tasks. As alternative to starting from scratch with the WiRNS download file, will the following procedure accomplish this?

On primary WiRNS computer:

1. Select Backup registry in Administration Menu to export WiRNS.reg file to WiRNS folder in root of C:.
2. Copy WiRNS folder to external drive.

On Backup computer:

1. Copy WiRNS folder from external drive to root of C:
2. Double-click WiRNS.reg file in folder to import WiRNS key to registry.
3. Optionally, delete WiRNS.reg file.

My expectation is that the Backup computer will display the green WiRNS monitor at each startup and that WiRNS will be fully functional on that machine.

Thanks for your assistance.
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it to run as a service, you'll need to run the WiRNS install.

Make sure WiRNS isn't running, then:
    You can choose to copy over all the files if you want.
    You can then use your reg backup as you described.

If you're not running as a service, your idea could work. What's the worst that could happen?

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
jole60
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comments are much appreciated, Glenn1963. As follow-up, I ran the installer (3.0 Final Version) on the Backup computer and stopped the service once the green WirnsMon icon displayed in the tray. I completed the steps outlined in my initial post and re-started WiRNS. I verified that the WiRNS, Replays, and Guide Data screens on the Index Configuration tab were accurately populated and was able to achieve successful net connects for all Replaytvs in WiRNS and at each machine. As a final check, I rebooted the computer and was able to access the Index page when the green icon re-appeared.

I became involved with WiRNS five years ago and can recall how difficult it was, and the many hours it took, to initially install and configure this program for six ReplayTVs . Since then, the insights and learning I've acquired from you and other knowledgeable forum members have gotten me to the point where I've been able to accomplish the same task for eight Replaytvs in less than one hour with minimum effort.

Thanks, again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: