Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended DST (Daylight Savings Time) Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Extended DST (Daylight Savings Time) Problems Reply with quote

This post applies to Showstopper users who live in areas that observe DST.

Yesterday, I found that my displayed Showstopper clock had already switched to standard time, following the old rule of setting the clocks back on the last Sunday of October, instead of first Sunday in November. The schedule was correct in standard time, so a program which started at 7 PM DST showed on the schedule at 6 PM. I found that shows were recording as programmed and the recording times are displayed correctly in DST. I suspect that all will be well if the user does nothing and everything will return to normal when we set the clocks back. The error will be more of an issue in the spring when we set the clocks forward 3 weeks sooner than we did under the old schedule.

To get your machine to display DST, if you are getting your schedule updates using WiRNS, follow the "Change Telephone" instructions shown here: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/old_replaytv_dst.htm After your machine calls into WiRNS, your machine should display its time and schedule in DST.

Rebooting your machine, by holding down the power button for at least 10 seconds, should also work. However if you have flipflop's clock setting panel from 777-Zones installed, you must re-enable it. Navigate to the "Change Display Brightness" screen, press 888-Zones, and then press Record to enable the time set button in 777-Zones.

I find that WiRNS does not set the clock, so I must do that manually. I have installed flipflop's clock setting panel.

If you have also installed the clock setting panel and access it from 777-Zones, you must enter the time in standard time during the extended DST weeks. After you have set the time, the display will show the time zone as standard time, PST in my case, even if it showed DST (PDT for me) beforehand. To return the time display to DST follow either the "Change Telephone" or rebooting method.

Note that these machines internally use GMT and convert to local time for the user interface. When the programmers updated the software for the new DST begin and end times, they apparently missed some instructions in the code where the conversion takes place. The GMT clock does not "spring forward" or "fall back."
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. you must not have received ReplayTV's updated timezone string when they were online. The timezone string includes the begin/end dates.

It's also interesting that your WiRNS is not setting your clock. (I assume you're using a phone simulator on your showstopper)
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it is 4 Showstoppers and all were updated with ReplayTV's timezone strong when ReplayTV was online.

I am using a phone simulator (Lineman from Digital Products Company.) I am achieving the maximum send rate for consumer 56K modems (33.6K in both directions).

All 4 Showstoppers hang at the "Setting the Clock" step for a few moments and then move on to the other steps without setting the clock. I have the most current build of WiRNS running on my home computer.

The clock setting panel bug during extended DST was first observed while I was still receiving schedule updates from ReplayTV.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the showstopper clock set panel include a timezone? it may not use the right time string.

I seem to remember WiRNS not actually acting as a NTP server, but forwarding the request to a NTP server. Check your WiRNS config/registry and see if there is a NTP server variable. It may still be trying to use Replay's NTP server.
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest! The WiRNS Configuration shows:
NTP Server: pool.ntp.org
Time Zone String: PST8PDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0
Time Zone (Drop down menu): Pacific
(Options of No DST are available for 6 supported time zones. Arizona would use "Pacific - No DST")

From the 777-Zones panel: Time Zone shows as Pacific. If I down arrow to the time zone box and and press Select then Record, I get an error message about invalid date. Once the error message times out, the time zone box refreshes, clearing the overlapping text, and shows Pacific No DST. I can use this method to access each of the time zones, which have some differences from the WiRNS drop down menu. The Atlantic time zone in Canada is shown. The choices for Alaska and Hawaii are Alaska, Alaska - Hawaii and Hawaii. WRNS has 4 options for residents of Alaska and Hawaii.)
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timezone string is correct for Pacific with DST.

poll.ntp.org can be a little touchy.. maybe try us.pool.ntp.org to limit the hosts. Ah, even better use laho.percdata.com I know that works!

Could you have a PC firewall blocking the NTP request (in or out).

Don't know what the issues are with the self-set panel.
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried both us.pool.ntp.org and laho.percdata.com without success. Each time, I made the change in the WiRNS configuration, rebooted the PC, verified the NTP server in WiRNS configuration and tried both the net connect from 243-zones and "change telephone".

I am able to ping both addresses, so I don't believe my firewall is blocking the request. I am using Norton as my firewall.

Henry Donzis did say that the time was being updated on his testbed Showstopper, but we never got as far as to compare notes before he passed away. If anyone else is getting successful updates, please let me know and we can compare notes.

The issues with setting the time via the 777-zones panel are internal to the ReplayTV machne's software load and have a workaround (during the extended DST weeks, enter standard time or enter the time in GMT from the 888-zones panel). I suspect that part of the software is using hard coded DST start and end times. This is a hidden panel for retail demonstration without a phone line connected to the machine. Users got the time from ReplayTV's servers, and that function worked correctly.

Thanks, again, for your interest and help!
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning off the firewall. Pings are not the same as a NTP request
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned off the Norton Smart Firewall, set the Shwstopper clock with a 10 min. error, and tried again. The clock error did not get corrected.

My internet access is through a router connected to a cable modem.

I find this message repeated 8 times in the WiRNS log for each Showstopper net connect:

[NTP] Proxying request to laho.percdata.com for 192.168.1.200

I tried bypassing the router, but ran into other issues, so I put things back the way they were.

Thanks, again! My responses to yours may be slow for the next few days.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I'm stumped.
cap_ncrunch
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Clock Set Now Works! Reply with quote

WiRNS is now setting my Showstopper clocks! After a migration from a Windows XP machine to a replacement Dell Optiplex 760 Windows 10 machine, clock set works! I am not sure if the clock gets set every time, but I believe it happens often enough that internal clock drift will not be an issue.

The NTP server is the default pool.ntp.org and I get 5 "Proxying request" messages when the clock sets correctly. Before, I was getting 8 messages. I haven't tried the other servers that you (rmeden) suggested.

I have WiRNS running on a virtual Windows XP machine running under Windows 10. The Windows XP machine and FreeSCO machines both run with the network adaptor bridged. The Windows XP machine has a fixed IP address assigned, but the Windows 10 and FreeSCO machines have their IP addresses assigned by the router. An attempt to run both virtual machines in NAT mode failed, but I didn't try too hard to make it work before returning the settings to bridged. The virtual Windows XP machine is also there to support some legacy software that is not supported by Windows 10, as well as some peripheral hardware for which there are no Windows 10 drivers.

Another reason to put WiRNS on a virtual Windows XP machine: I found it annoying, every time I booted the Windows 10 machine, to get a message asking me to give WiRNS permission to make changes to my computer. There may be a configuration setting to fix that, but I haven't tried to find it. I'd rather not assign the Windows 10 machine a fixed IP address, anyway.

For those migrating WiRNS to Windows 10, I suggest following the instructions carefully, as if you had never installed WiRNS or FreeSCO before. Additional problems I encountered: 1) The "PCI serial port" driver was not working and is needed for an internal modem. Do not install drivers that came with the modem, all you need is to set up a virtual COM port for the modem. I was able to find a solution, posted on the internet, to get a PCI COM port. I have several internal 56K modems and had to pick one that worked. Windows 10 apparently does not have terminal program, so I used the one on the Windows XP virtual machine. (There are 3rd party programs available.) Back to back, the modems communicate at 33.6K, their maximum send speed, not 56K. 2) Do a soft reboot on each Replay by holding the power button down for some 10 seconds and releasing it. This action fixed issues with not getting beyond "Connection established."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: