Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RDDNS servers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixoda
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: RDDNS servers Reply with quote

I mentioned this in another post. But I'm getting pestered for a missed show. Anybody got any info on the state of the backup servers, as I doubt if the primary's even exist anymore.

Thanks
David
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

henry was the only one who knew where any was i think.
nixoda
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went a searching and found that na9d (Jon), a moderator of this site back in the mists of time, hosted one of the RDDNS backup servers that was taken over by Henry. I just sent out 2 emails asking for his help or guidance in this matter. Hopefully he will respond or somebody else will come back from vacation and reboot their server and all will be good until the next hiccup.

Fingers crossed.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy, who is a Planet Master, is also the contact on the WIRNS site. Perhaps he has answers?

Ryan Bolenbaugh rbolen70 @ PlanetReplay.com
nixoda
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a reply from na9d.

"Thanks for reaching out to me. Yes, I was once heavily involved in the ReplayTV community and ran one of the backup RDDNS servers. The machine that I was running it on ended up having a hard drive crash and by that time, I had moved on from Replay due to HD and never got around to setting it back up again. Thatís when Henry took over. I am deeply saddened to hear of his passing. He was a great guy.

So hosting the server was not difficult. It was basically a WiRNS server that was running a special plugin for the RDDNS. In fact, it may even be included directly with WiRNS. I forget. Iím not sure if Ryan Bolenbaugh is still around in the community but he is one of the guys who did a large part of the development of WIRNS and would probably know how to enable it in the software.

When I was running it, I had it on a machine with a fixed IP that I had directly connected to the internet. I chose to effectively put it in a DMZ so to speak outside of my LAN. You guys could do it however you want - it would work fine inside a firewall with the proper port forwarding and all.

Iím not sure if I have the documentation from Ryan still on configuring WiRNS for it. I just did a search in my email for RDDNS and the oldest I have was from 2007, but the server was set up before thatÖ

Please let me know what you find out. I must say that the IVS function of ReplayTV was one of the best features. I have a situation right now where I wish I had it where we have a show we like to watch and record but I had messed up the settings on my Tivo (yes, I went to the dark side) and I lost a bunch of episodes. Normally Iíd just buy episodes from iTunes or Amazon, or wherever, but problem is - we donít know where we left off! And itís not on Netflix. So I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to go onto Poopli (is that still around?) and get the show!

Have fun!

Jon"

Maybe someone who knows more about WIRNS can figure out the plugins req'd.

An email to Ryan's address here bounced - unknown user- sigh

Even Tivo's future is uncertain. Maybe DVR's time have passed. I certainly hope not
nixoda
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Corrected Post Reply with quote

Another bit of bad news. I can find no registration information or records for backup.rddns.cc

CORRECTION

Further investigations tell me that

rddns.cc is registered to Performance Technology, San Antonio, TX who appears to be connected to Henry Donzis. Also this registration is set to expire in December 2016.

backup-1.rddns.cc = 67.41.76.188
backup-2.rddns.cc = 206.210.196.147

Both are configured not to respond to pings.

Looking through the WIRNS file directories local and on-line give no indication of containing the aformentioned plugin.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much more that I can add to problem resolution. Anybody else got any ideas?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backup-1.rddns.cc is Ryan's server. Glenn is chatting with him now on IM.
backup-2.rddns.cc runs at Henry's old job. I'll get more info on it.

I'll also look at getting the rddns.cc domain. I don't think it will be a problem.

Robert
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, I don't hang out in this forum, I was only today informed of the problem.

We have a couple of the backups working again, and will be looking at the whole issue longer-term.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
cliffcor
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn!
Cliff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Poopli All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: