Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't connect a re-installed Replay TV 5040

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jowoane
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Can't connect a re-installed Replay TV 5040 Reply with quote

I've reinstalled the software on my 12 year old Replay TV 5040, and now can't get it to connect. It's obviously not activated, but I can get to the network settings page. Trying to connect to either the WiRNS service or through PercData, gets the exact same result.
Both Replay and host computer for WiRNS are set to static IP addresses. It supposedly passed the port 80 test. Firewall turned off on the router and computer. Either way I get the same result back after it tries to connect. Top three readings unchanged, top DNS setting now reads the same as the DNS on the router (Open DNS 208.67.222.222), and the bottom DNS setting is now on the gateway (router) address?
Any ideas for a fix? I'm getting very discouraged and frustrated!
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed you a sequence of nslookup commands to check for "DNS Hijacking". Give that a shot.

Code:

nslookup
server 207.58.129.219   (or whatever address is in the LaHo setup instructions)
rns.replaytv.net
laho.percdata.com

The "Address" portion in the response of both commands should be the same (currently starts with 52.3.212). If they don't match, something is intercepting your DNS lookup to our 207.* server (DNS Hijacking).

I have a way around it, but it's best handled via email.

Robert
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't connect a re-installed Replay TV 5040 Reply with quote

jowoane wrote:
Top three readings unchanged, top DNS setting now reads the same as the DNS on the router (Open DNS 208.67.222.222), and the bottom DNS setting is now on the gateway (router) address?

The first entry is the static IP address for the Replay and should match what you have programmed for it in WiRNS.

The second should be 255.255.255.0

The third entry is your gateway and typically this should be 192.168.0.1

The forth entry should be the IP address of your WiRNS computer (and again, it should be a 192.168.?.? type number)

The fifth entry should either be blank or should be the same as the 4th entry.

rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got him working.. even though he was doing a manual network config, the ReplayTV kept picking up DNS from the router.

To solve this, we disabled DHCP on the router, and then the static settings stuck. Once he was able to connect to LaHo, DHCP could be restarted. The ReplayTV settings could also be returned to automatic.

If someone else has a similar issue, it may be worth updating the "factory reset" directions.

Robert
The Robman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did u need to disable DHCP, why wasn't a reserved address sufficient?
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
why did u need to disable DHCP, why wasn't a reserved address sufficient?

probably not, since the problem was DNS updating when told not to.

We could have updated DNS on the router, but that would have caused problems on other network nodes.

Disabling DHCP for 10 min or so was pretty easy and low impact.

No idea, why this (and maybe a few other) units seem to be using the DHCP DNS when told not to... maybe they have an older and buggy software version.

Remember, unlike WiRNS folks, LaHo users tend to be less technically savy and just want it to work.
The Robman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your statements all about the ReplayTV unit, rather than the router?

If so, we know that RTVs will revert back to automatic even though you have programmed them to be manual, this is known as the "DHCP bug", and it's for that reason that you have to reserve the IP address on the router also, it is not sufficient to just switch the RTV to manual.

If this user doesn't have build 144 on his machine, it might be an idea to flash the current version, but that typically means you have to lose your shows, so not an ideal solution for a LaHo user.

The first post indicates that this user does have WiRNS running though.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aware of the DHCP bug of course, but this was on the initial setup. He couldn't talk to LaHo or WiRNS because the DNS always reverted to the router's DNS, even when he set it up for manual.

By disabling DHCP for a few minutes, he was able to get past that and LaHo activated his unit.
rlichtefeld
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info helped my get past the Quick Setup for an RTV that had the power cut repeatedly due to brown outs and a old UPS. I was in Quick Setup and it would not connect to WiRNS.

Turning off my DHCP server, allowed the RTV to error out when connecting, and I was able to enter all the IP addresses. After that it connected almost immediately to WiRNS.

Thanks for all the info that you knowledgeable people post.

Rob
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just unplugging the Ethernet cable before the DHCP works, then fill in the blanks with your own info, plug back in and retry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: