Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hopper lll & Replay TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & DirecTV/Dish/Voom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Hopper lll & Replay TV Reply with quote

Is there any way to connect the Hopper to a RTV? I know the RTV is only SD but it doesn't matter as the other tvs are not watched that much and we have been watching SD for years now so we can except that it is not HD as Dish.
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to Google it to see what the Hopper III is:
http://www.dish.com/dig/technology/the-tv-experience-evolves-again-with-hopper-3/

It appears that it is a DVR itself, so you can record shows on the Hopper, which prompts the question, what kind of connection to Replay are you looking for?

Option 1 would be that you just want to copy shows from the Hopper to Replay, in order to do manual recordings.

Option 2 would be that you want to program the recordings on the Replay and have it change the channel on the Hopper, just like it would any other STB. In order to have the Replay control the Hopper, you would use the standard SAT/0775 Dish code, along with the IR blaster.

Either way, if the Hopper has either composite outputs, you could connect those to the composite inputs on your Replay. If it just has HDMI output, you will need a converter box.
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want to do is have the programing go to my other two tvs.
The hopper has composite outputs and I connected it to my RTV and went into the RTV setup and changed the input settings but got nothing. Just remembered I never changed the input from my cable box. Would that make a difference?
The Robman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really following what you're trying to do, how would connecting the Hopper to your Replay get the programming to your other two TVs?

And are you talking about live programming or recordings?

And where does a cable box fit into this picture?
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it can be done, thats what I am asking. Only live programs.
The cable box no longer exists but in the RTV set up it still is showing, I did not remove it and say nothing is connected. It is quite possible what I want to do will not work, if so its not the end of the world, I will just have to get a couple of joeys or put or put up an antenna, at this time I haven't figured out what will be more cost efficient.
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what you want is possible, we can get you there, but it's still not clear to me what you're trying to do. Maybe if you give a more detailed description of how you have your Replays and TVs set up.
Greysquirrel34
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman:

Think I'm SOL, connected the Hopper to the RTV by composite cables, then went into setup of RTV and changed the cable box connection to nothing, then changed the line one in connection to satellite receiver and hit continue and got a message saying if your provider is not listed call RTV at this 800 number, I thought this was a futile exercise but did it anyway and got a message from Disney offering me a free stay at one of their resorts.
So unless your have some suggestions I think I will give it up as a bad idea.
Will probably end up putting up an outside antenna as rabbit ears do not work in my area, in fact I am doubtful if even an outside antenna will work.

Thanks for your replies and trying to help I really do appreciate it.
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still haven't explained exactly what you're trying to do and what your current setup is.

For starters, if the Hopper and the Replay are in the same room, why not just feed the Hopper directly to the TV?

You mentioned feeding it to other TVs in the house, even if you got it working on one of the RTVs, that wouldn't feed the signal to any of the others, you can only share recorded shows.

If you do try setting it up again, you should select Dish Network as your provider.

You didn't mention whether you are using SD or LaHo to get your channel guide, but whichever one it is, you would first need to select the Dish line up there.

But anyway, without knowing what your setup is nor what exactly you are trying to do, this is all guesswork.
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading this, I get the impression the OP is trying to pass through signal from the Hopper to the RTV just by plugging it in. As far as I know, unless you specify what type of device is connected (specific cable box, antenna), there will be no TV signal passed on. That is why you can't just specify 'nothing' and have the TV signal pass to the RTV. You would need a code for the Hopper (or one that worked with the Hopper) in order for the RTV to be able to receive the TV signal and display it.

As well, you cannot pass live signals to any device that isn't directly connected to the incoming signal (the antenna or cable box). Like Rob said, you can only share recorded signal via ethernet network.

Susan
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't you choose "other" and then set the replay to the device with the "input" key on the remote?
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But even if you choose 'other', don't you have to have a device indicated for the signal to pass into the RTV and to the TV?
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
Can't you choose "other" and then set the replay to the device with the "input" key on the remote?

That would work if all he wants to do is watch a live show, or do a manual record. Some folks might do that to record from a VCR or a DVD player.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbwinter2 wrote:
But even if you choose 'other', don't you have to have a device indicated for the signal to pass into the RTV and to the TV?

Not sure what you mean.. if you select "other", you would then connect a composite source (say a video camera) and be able to view it.

You can also do time-based records.

What you won't get is a guide, nor will it show up in the channel guide. You need the input button to select it.

Robert
sbwinter2
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea you could do that. I thought that you could not just plug in anything. That is actually awesome. Now I do wonder why the OP couldn't get that working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & DirecTV/Dish/Voom All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: