Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard arrives...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: When the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard arrives... Reply with quote

...your TV tuner will stop working:FYI
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only now in the testing stages for OTA use. It will be several years before ATSC-3 is in use widespread.

The current climate in DC is go get rid of OTA (Free) television. The next round of spectrum auctions will happen later this year or next (no one seems to know anything, especially the FCC and they are the ones driving it). ATSC-3 will come after that, but no telling how long after that.

It will be an improvement because 8-VSB, ATSC-1, has always been lacking in its ability to broadcast to mobile platforms and deal with multipath (ghosting) situations. The modulation type used with ATSC-3 is OFDM, which is used in other countries and is used as microwave backhauls for racing video (NASCAR and the like). I've used the microwave version myself and was very impressed with the stability.

ATSC-1 was as good as it was able to be in the 90's when DTV was dreamed up, but time marches on.

Fear not! It isnt' going to put the set top boxes out of business for the Replays for a few years yet.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the article is just trying to scare folks.

I doubt ATSC 1.0 will be replaced within 5 years from a final standard. (so 2022). Per the article it took 20 years for ATSC 1 to replace NTSC.

I don't think 2022 is the "near future".... and chances are it will be even longer.

What's the technical reason phones can't receive ATSC 1.0? I suspect it's because no one wants to. Yes, being IP based, it will be easier for devices to receive content (not just video) over ATSC 3, but currently there's no demand.

ATSC 3 will probably be used to transmit local weather, emergency info using IP broadcasts... so phone companies may put in (or be required to put in) receivers. ATSC 1 has provisions for stations to transmit guide data.. how many do it well (none to my knowledge).
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phones can receive DVB broadcasts now; I believe that is the format that AT&T is using. The Qualcomm FLO-TV system did use it but they decided there wasn't enough money in it and so they abandoned hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment. I'm glad they did because the station I work for bought 2 of them, and 2 other clients bought 3 more and since then, we've had no more transmitter issues. Of course, they had to be retrofitted with the ATSC-1 modulator.

I think the change may be before 2022, but probably not too much. The auction and resulting changes won't happen unitl probably 2019 or so. It would be nice if the changes from the auction and the repack would coincide with the introducing of ATSC-3. That would save current broadcasters a lot of $$$.

ATSC-3 will be used to transmit what you see now via ATSC-1. They cannot co-exist on a TV channel because it is the type of modulation used. Regarding current phones, I'm not sure if they have the ATSC-1 capability built into them or not. As the 8-VSB modulation scheme is not really good for mobile receivers, it has probably been left out of the phones. If I recall, the problem with 8-VSB in the mobile market is that it does not handle multipath very well. In other words, ghosting can kill the error correction in the signal rendering a nice "No Signal" screen.

I had forgotten that there is an ATSC M/H stream that some stations that have deep pockets broadcast. It is an MPEG-4 stream that is strictly for mobile and handheld devices, hence M/H. I do not broadcast it at my facilities, however the network stations and the network owned and operated stations here in Atlanta do.

A look at ATSC M/H, 2 & 3 here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Television_Systems_Committee_standards#ATSC_3.0

A look at ATSC in general here. Kind of dated though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_tuner
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aa4hg I imagine the software radios in the phones could decode ATSC, but I think you're saying the quality wouldn't be very good because of reflections/ghosting.

That's very interesting about ATSC and ghosting. I live pretty close to the towers in the Dallas area and was surprised I sometimes had poor ATSC reception. I'm sure there are ton of pretty strong reflections here, and that would explain it.

Our kids will never know what ghosting is

Speaking of auctions, I really wish they would lease not sell the bandwidth. A long lease, maybe 25-50 years, that way there is some flexibility for government to do something else later.

Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: