Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongo and RDDNS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Mongo on OS X, which does IVS lookups using a modified copy of rddns from the ReplayPC project.

I tried submitting the patches back to that project but there's no one home.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mschmitt,

I use mongo also. It updates my show list on poopli just fine. But I can't send any shows because it fails ivs tests.

On poopli, their ivs test returns "Can't connect to 24.5.31.226:29000 (timeout)" but the IP is not mine and not even close. If I use an external tester, it says "“Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.”

In mongo, on rddns it has a red dash and on backup rddns it has a green check.

Do you happen to know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Note that when the DNNA guide stopped, I did not get anything else. I just do manual records.

Thanks!
Scott
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl44 wrote:
Hi mschmitt,

I use mongo also. It updates my show list on poopli just fine. But I can't send any shows because it fails ivs tests.

On poopli, their ivs test returns "Can't connect to 24.5.31.226:29000 (timeout)" but the IP is not mine and not even close. If I use an external tester, it says "“Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.”

In mongo, on rddns it has a red dash and on backup rddns it has a green check.

Do you happen to know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Note that when the DNNA guide stopped, I did not get anything else. I just do manual records.

Thanks!
Scott

If Mongo shows a green checkmark by the backup server, it means that the problem isn't with Mongo.

So the question is: is the problem on your side, their end, or both?

Mongo can send a show even if your ReplayTV won't actually be able to send it. (Mongo is sending a message to the receiving unit, which then asks your unit for the show.)

So if Mongo won't let you send the show, then the problem is on their end. You can also do the IVS test from within Mongo.

On your end, you need to something due to the shutdown of the mothership services, because otherwise your ReplayTV won't be able to contact a working IVS server. If all you want to do is manual records, the simplest thing would be to just change the DNS entries to point to the backup RDDNS servers.

I assume Poopli's status for your machine says it is reachable.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sounding good.

The ivs test in mongo syas RDDNS lookup worked, but can't connect to remote RTV.

I've tried sending from mongo and it says sent successfully, but it never goes. The receiver says it shows on their end, but it never starts.

So if I still have my home network dns in there, I need to change to backup RDDNS? Do you know what those are so I can try them?

On poopli, I tried deleting to add it back and got this:

"Unregistered ReplayTVs that seem likely to be yours
These unregistered ReplayTVs check in from the same IP address you do. Perhaps they're yours?

Woogie2 RTV5040G3TR0142344 2015-10-25 08:54:33 121 50.143.175.35"

And that IP is correct.
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl44 wrote:
This is sounding good.

The ivs test in mongo syas RDDNS lookup worked, but can't connect to remote RTV.

I've tried sending from mongo and it says sent successfully, but it never goes. The receiver says it shows on their end, but it never starts.

So if I still have my home network dns in there, I need to change to backup RDDNS? Do you know what those are so I can try them?

If the receiver says they got the show message on their unit, then it has to be a problem on your end. (We know that their end can reach a working IVS server because otherwise you wouldn't be able to find their unit to send the show to them in the first place.)

Yes, if your unit is using your router's DNS, it isn't going to work anymore.

Change the ReplayTV to use manual network settings, and set it to use the backup RDDNS servers: 67.41.76.188 and 206.210.196.147.

But watch out for the DHCP bug. The best thing is to set your router to always give the ReplayTV the same address, use that same address in the manual configuration, and set the router to forward your chosen ISN port to that address.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use dhcp and have always been a static guy. Replay is always at 192.168.0.99

I tried google public at 8.8.8.8 and it wouldn't connect.

I'll give these that you gave me a try THANKS!!
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat, those two addresses come up as not reachable.

"Replay can't connect to the internet"

Anything else I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much. Scott
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl44 wrote:
I never use dhcp and have always been a static guy. Replay is always at 192.168.0.99
If you were able to send and receive shows before this, then either a) you have DHCP completely disabled in your router, or b) your router isn't affected by the DHCP bug. But merely using static IP addresses in the ReplayTV isn't enough to prevent the bug in all cases.

For those who stumble on this thread later:

The DHCP bug is that the ReplayTV makes a DHCP query when it boots, even when it is set to manual networking. (The request comes from the VxWorks operating system.)

This results in the same MAC address getting assigned to different IP addresses. Some routers don't like this; is messes up the ARP table or something.

Other routers can deal with it. Or if there is no DHCP server on the network then the problem won't occur.
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottl44 wrote:
Drat, those two addresses come up as not reachable.

"Replay can't connect to the internet"

Anything else I might be doing wrong?

Thanks so much. Scott

I just tested both backup-1.rddns.cc and backup-2.rddns.cc and they are functioning for both DNS and IVS lookups.

If your ReplayTV can't connect to the Internet, all I can think of is:
  • The IP address must be valid.
  • The gateway address must be valid.
  • The DNS server addresses must be valid.
  • The ReplayTV doesn't like leading zeroes in any address. (I got burned by that years ago.)
  • I haven't tried the backup RDDNS servers lately; I'm using LaHo. Are they returning DNS lookups that lead to non-functioning mothership services? Do you need to use the LaHo "good will" DNS server address instead?
You're reached the end of my knowledge.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have dhcp turned on in my router for ipads etc. I wonder if turning it off during a replay bootup would help.

Anyway, I'll try these addresses again later.

Thanks again for your help.
The Robman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
For those who stumble on this thread later:

The DHCP bug is that the ReplayTV makes a DHCP query when it boots, even when it is set to manual networking. (The request comes from the VxWorks operating system.)

This results in the same MAC address getting assigned to different IP addresses. Some routers don't like this; is messes up the ARP table or something.

Other routers can deal with it. Or if there is no DHCP server on the network then the problem won't occur.

If your router supports reserved addresses as long as you reserve the Replay's IP address and tie it to the Replay's MAC address, you should be fine. And you can keep DHCP running for the rest of your devices, just make sure that the static IP address that you're using for your Replay is outside of the range of IP addresses that are used dynamically.

The following Wiki page demonstrates how I set up my IP addresses on my router:
http://wiki.wirns.com/index.php/Installation:Router
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: IVS Testing Without DNNA... Reply with quote

scottl44 wrote:
...On poopli, their ivs test returns "Can't connect to 24.5.31.226:29000 (timeout)" but the IP is not mine and not even close. If I use an external tester, it says "“Found on Replay server. IP does not match your PC, not revealing IP and port detail.”
  • How do I access the IVS Test on Poopli?

• Re External Tester(s):
    - Does TheDreamer's IVS Tester still work?
    - Does the IVSMagic IVS Tester still work?
    - I know from Frank that the WiRNS IVS Test does work
Thanks!
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seemed that no matter what I put in the DNS fields it won't do a connect.

So I change just my 192.168.0.99 to 192.168.0.98, leaving my original DNS settings alone, and it won't connect. It says in the failure no connect, but on details all addresses say "reachable"

And I can see the unit on my network in DVArchive.

Sigh, if anybody can shed light, I'd appreciate it.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robman,

Sorry if this is not in the right place, but you closed the LaHo thread. With my use of the good will IP, all in mongo is fine.

You said not to force a connect by changing the zip code, but I started to play with wirns and changed it. But wirns started to feel like more than I wanted to deal with, so I turned it off.

So I put the good will IP back in, but you are right, now there is nothing in my cable provider screen. Now I can't record manual or even change channels.

Any idea how to get my provider/tuning back? I'm still not sure this box is really worth paying for a channel guide yet.
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me what you are trying to do? What did you try with WiRNS, maybe we can help you get it going. If you want to stick with LaHo, you will need to sign up for the free 7-day trial period as this will get you an initial channel guide. Of course, it will run out 14 days after your trial period ends, but you will still have the empty channel guide which means you can still use your Replay as a fancy VCR.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he closed the "extra special goodwill" thread because that program is pointless. normal "goodwill" lives on.
scottl44
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Well I was originally having rddns problems. Somehow there was a different IP associated with my replay and IVS tests failed. The goodwill IP fixed it and you said NOT to change the zip code to connect.

So I installed wirns to see what it was all about and didn't realize it was something that had to run 24/7 and should have a dedicated PC all to itself. Either I didn't set it up right or finish setting it up and decided it was more than I wanted to do, especially if it was on a PC meant for "regular" use.

Anyway, at some point I changed the zip for some reason.

Are you saying if I get the LaHo trial, my cable provider choices will come back? And if I don't continue it, I'll at least still be able to tune and record manually after the trial expires?

rmeden:
The thread that was closed was named LaHo
The Robman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LaHo thread is just an announcement, there are no other posts in it. Like Robert said, the Good Will thread is active. And we have a LaHo forum where each person can post new threads. So, the LaHo announcement being locked shouldn't cause any problems.

Back to WiRNS, while it is ideal to have it on a PC running 24/7 that's not essential, some people just turn the pc on once a week and then do a forced net connect. As for the pc being dedicated to WiRNS that's not needed at all, you can certainly use it for other things too.

For me personally, my main computer is a laptop that I shut down when I'm not using it, so I picked up a $99 desktop which I use for WiRNS and I do leave it on all the time because I have people send shows directly to it via IVS and I'm always having something download from one of my Replays to it, so it just makes sense. I am building up quite a nice movie collection on it. (I have a virtual Replay set up on it which can stream all of the shows that reside there back to my regular Replays).

But to answer your question, yes, if you do the trial period with LaHo you will get a full channel guide and once the trial ends the channels will eventually become empty but the structure will remain, which is enough to allow you to do manual recordings.

However, if you do decide to revist WiRNS, you would also have the option of signing up with LaHo's sister company, Schedules Direct, to get your channel guide. They also have a 7-day trial period in case you need it to verify that everything works, and their subscription fee is only $25/year. That's what I use for my channel guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Mongo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: