Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Replay 5K tools to recover information from drive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Using Replay 5K tools to recover information from drive Reply with quote

Hello,

Is there a basic tutorial about how to use these tools?

I have removed my drive from the ReplayTV and plugged it into my PC (running Windows XP) but the drive is not recognized. It is spinning.

And when I try to run rtvconvert, the window won't open and stay open.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ReadMe or something like that in the package, or maybe you have to look at the help screens... I just looked and there is both a README and instructions in the DOC folder...

However, these tools are for using with a networked RTV, accessing the files downloaded from the RTV, not for having the RTV's hard drive connected to your computer. If you are looking for the tools to recover information from your RTV hard drive, then you are looking to use extract_rtv5, as discussed here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13194...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
There is a ReadMe or something like that in the package, or maybe you have to look at the help screens... I just looked and there is both a README and instructions in the DOC folder...

However, these tools are for using with a networked RTV, accessing the files downloaded from the RTV, not for having the RTV's hard drive connected to your computer. If you are looking for the tools to recover information from your RTV hard drive, then you are looking to use extract_rtv5, as discussed here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13194...

Henry

I have extract_rtv5 installed but it won't stay open on my XP computer. The
window opens for a brief moment and then disappears. Why is this happening? I have used it successfully in the past.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

734jeant wrote:
window opens for a brief moment and then disappears. Why is this happening? I have used it successfully in the past.

You have to open a comand prompt first and run the application from there. You can't double-click on the application to run it. And, you need to open the command prompt "Run as administator" in order for extract_rtv5 to be able to access your RTV hard drive as explained here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73179#73179...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
734jeant wrote:

You have to open a comand prompt first and run the application from there. You can't double-click on the application to run it. And, you need to open the command prompt "Run as administator" in order for extract_rtv5 to be able to access your RTV hard drive as explained here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=73179#73179...

Henry

The command prompt is open. C\:Documents and Settings\Jean Taylor. What do I type to get it to find the extract_rtv5 file?

Is there a post you can link me to that walks me through this process? It's been a long time since I did it the last time.
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More specifically, how do I " CD into the directory where you downloaded extract_rtv5."?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first you figure out where you downloaded extract_rtv5. Since you were able to double-click on it and have it open for a brief moment, you already know where it is. If you right-click on extract_rtv5 and select properties, it will show you the path as Location. You can select the path in that properties window and copy it. Then in the command prompt, you can enter "cd " and then paste the path you copied from the properties window and then press Enter...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a basic question, I should have started out with:

If the computer is not recognizing the drive in My Computer, am I wasting my time?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

734jeant wrote:
Well, here's a basic question, I should have started out with:

If the computer is not recognizing the drive in My Computer, am I wasting my time?

No because you really can't expect a Windows computer to recognize a ReplayTV hard drive. A Windows computer wouldn't recognize a Macintosh hard drive either it you took it out of a Mac and plugged into the Windows computer. In fact, you need to be very careful to make sure that Windows continues not to recognize it. If you allowed Windows to "recognize it", then it would no longer be a ReplayTV hard drive, and you wouldn't be able to use it as such any longer, you'd have no choice but to completely reformat it back as a ReplayTV hard drive, losing everything...

I think you may realize the answer to your own question in the fact that if Windows recognized a ReplayTV hard drive, then why would you need speical programs to access it?

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well Windows is definitely not recognizing it.

But when I type extract_rtv5 -a in the command prompt it says:

"Didn't detect any ReplayTV drives connected to the system"

I tried -ar too

The drive is spinning.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run the command prompt as administrator as I directed? It won't see the hard drive unless you do...

The other test would be to run RTVPatch and see if it finds the drive or not. If it doesn't, then extract_rtv5 won't either...

And, you can run Windows Device Manager to see if it at least "sees" the hard drive as being connected...

You also could run the manufacture's diagnostic software to see if it can "see" the drive and access it OK...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run the command prompt as administrator as I directed? It won't see the hard drive unless you do...

Yes

The other test would be to run RTVPatch and see if it finds the drive or not. If it doesn't, then extract_rtv5 won't either...

I will try this...

And, you can run Windows Device Manager to see if it at least "sees" the hard drive as being connected...

I ran Windows Device Manager and it "sees" it as a drive that needs to be partitioned or formatted.

You also could run the manufacture's diagnostic software to see if it can "see" the drive and access it OK...

I tried that first. Maxtor's Software does not see the drive
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try this...

RTVPatch didn't find it either. I guess the drive is dead.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

734jeant wrote:

I will try this...

How are you connecting the hard drive to the computer? If you are using an IDE->USB adapter, that could be the problem. You can check if your computer possibly has an IDE connector internally, maybe for the CD/DVD drive, then you could use that. And, you could check your USB adapter using a different hard drive. It seems strange that it shouldn't see the drive at all, especially if Windows indicates that there is a drive attached...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
734jeant wrote:

I will try this...

How are you connecting the hard drive to the computer? If you are using an IDE->USB adapter, that could be the problem. You can check if your computer possibly has an IDE connector internally, maybe for the CD/DVD drive, then you could use that. And, you could check your USB adapter using a different hard drive. It seems strange that it shouldn't see the drive at all, especially if Windows indicates that there is a drive attached...

Henry

I am using an IDE->USB adaptor. I put a different hard drive in it and it was recognized just fine.

As for the other drive (the Replay one), Windows recognized it the first time I plugged it in, but the second time, it wasn't there.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess it might be gone then. But, you might keep playing with it to see if you can get it to work. Sometimes putting it in the freezer in a plastic baggie can help you at least get it working enough to pull some shows...

Henry
734jeant
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Well, I guess it might be gone then. But, you might keep playing with it to see if you can get it to work. Sometimes putting it in the freezer in a plastic baggie can help you at least get it working enough to pull some shows...

Henry

Thanks. Yes, I've tried the freezer trick. No luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: