Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mongo and the new poopli.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gaijinotaku
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Mongo and the new poopli.com Reply with quote

Does this mean that IF (a mighty big IF) I can get Mongo working on my Mac, I can start uploading my ReplayTV guide to the new poopli?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means that any of the old methods that used to be able to upload to Poopli should work as well with the new Poopli. But, they had to be current enough to actually be working with the old Poopli. As David has found out, some of the really old updaters don't actually work with the previous Poopli...

The nice thing is that IF you get Mongo working on your Mac, you should be able to tell withing a half hour or so if it is working. When you go to Poopli, you can simply click on Database Status anc click on the Unregistered RTV's link to see if your serial number(s) is(are) in there...

Henry
gaijinotaku
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been some time since I've been able to get Mongo to work, but it's an issue with the application rather than how it communicates with Poopli. Strangely enough I get further with version 1.0 than with 1.2. 1.0 at least gets to the UI window before crashing. Support for the app either no longer exists or is impossible to find, especially since searches for "Mongo" now direct me to an app called Mongodb.

Anyone have success with Mongo lately?
replaytv@volpe.com
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinotaku wrote:
It has been some time since I've been able to get Mongo to work, but it's an issue with the application rather than how it communicates with Poopli. Strangely enough I get further with version 1.0 than with 1.2. 1.0 at least gets to the UI window before crashing. Support for the app either no longer exists or is impossible to find, especially since searches for "Mongo" now direct me to an app called Mongodb.

Mongo certainly looks abandoned, doesn't it?

Shouldn't you be able able use WINE http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX?highlight=%28CategoryDistributions%29 on an x86 mac to run, e.g., the poopli updater binary?
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinotaku wrote:

The most recent version of Mongo is 1.3.1. The download link is in a post in the Poopli forum.

Oh, yeah.

You can download it from http://bit.ly/eNvNPX.

I'm not the original Mongo developer, but I did update it to fix the crash.

It does still have a problem though: it is using an old command from the ReplayTV Tools project to do IVS lookups, but that command was never compiled for Intel. I've been working on fixing that; it gets tricky because Mongo was distributing a modified version, that allowed specification of the rdddns server to use (e.g. the backup servers). And that source is gone. So, I reverse engineered those changes.

Also, the ReplayTV tools version has a bug, where it takes an extraordinarily long time to query the production rdddns server. I've figured out why, but it isn't clear what the fix should be. The issue is that the production rddns isn't strictly conforming to the HTTP/1.1 syntax. Real ReplayTVs (e.g. a RTV5000 series) do use HTTP/1.1 to query rdddns, but apparently are cheating on the client side of the protocol. I could change the rddns command to use HTTP/1.0, which would work, but then it isn't perfectly emulating a real ReplayTV. I was looking at how to change it to be more forgiving of improper server behavior, but without breaking the rest of the ReplayTV Tools commands.

I do have an Intel compiled rddns command now that does work with Mongo, the same way as the previous command. I'm working on the timeout problem. (I had put it aside when Poopli died...)

The Intel rddns is not in the version 1.3.1 download linked above.
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinotaku wrote:
Does this mean that IF (a mighty big IF) I can get Mongo working on my Mac, I can start uploading my ReplayTV guide to the new poopli?

Mongo never did the actual poopli update. It uses the Poopli Updater CLI, which is a .NET application, invoking it via mono.

Mongo could run the update on demand, or schedule it.

Mongo scheduled using crontab. But works perfectly fine to schedule the update using a launchctl plist.

That update process (scheduled run of the poopli updater) has been working fine, even when Mongo itself didn't.

NOTE: There is one bug in the update: Starting with Mono 2, for some reason the update to Poopli will only hide one show, even if you have it set to hide an entire category. I don't know if this is a mono bug or if it is in the poopli updater CLI's code.

I don't think the poopli updater's source is available to try and fix it. And even if it was, I have a suspicion that debugging .NET applications on OS X would be a challenge.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mschmitt wrote:
I don't think the poopli updater's source is available to try and fix it. And even if it was, I have a suspicion that debugging .NET applications on OS X would be a challenge.

As I wrote here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=84563#84563 the source code is copyrighted by Archie, so he would need to be the one to make it publicly available...

Henry
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinotaku wrote:

I just released 1.3.2, which works for me on OS X 10.9.4 Mavericks.

See http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=84745#84745.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Mongo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: