Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showstopper 1000 loses time when the power goes off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Showstopper 1000 loses time when the power goes off Reply with quote

Hello,

Everything was working fine, then the SS locked up. Reset it and it was 4 mins off. Tried manually dialing up, no luck. so left it alone.

Power blink off today, and now SS is off 10 mins.

Does this imply the capacitor, internal clock, or my dialing server is out off sync?
Juan304
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be your capacitor, you could check out this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397340/panasonic-showstopper-internal-battery. Although, more typically the date resets to 1999, so it may still be working adequately...

You might need to install the clock patch so that you can get your clock set more correctly: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15775...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: SS time losses Reply with quote

Henry,
thank you for the link to manually reset the time. I've saved this to my new computer.

I'm ready to give it a try, but before I do how do I physically connect the SS hard drive to my computer? Takes a cable with what type ends?

I have a Windows XP that I can use a flash drive, thus can load as a new directory, change directory (CD), to my older computer.

Once apart I may go ahead and change the capacitor.

Yes, the SS is old, but it is better than system offered by the cable company.

Again, thank you.
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SS drive has an IDE connector, so you need something with that connector. Either an old computer, or you can use an IDE to USB adapter to plug the SS drive into your modern computer through a USB connector. Be sure and check your computer's CD/DVD drive to see if it uses IDE, if so, you can simply unplug it and plug the SS drive in there...

It doesn't matter what software you have on the computer, either it is a modern computer and OS or an older computer and OS. Changing which directory you run from isn't going to change that...

You'll want to use the package that The Robman posted here: http://planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=81113#81113, that makes the whole process much easier! If you are running on a version of Windows newer than XP, then you'll need to be sure to open the command prompt with Admin privileges in order to be able to get the script to work...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
Getting ready to start, but a question: I can get the IED to USB cable, but its is also offered as a kit, which includes a power supply and other cables.

Therefore, with the SS drive removed does the SS drive get power from the USB cable or do I use the power source from the kit?

Thank you for your help,
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on the IDE to USB adapter. I haven't see one that doesn't come with a power supply, but I might assume in that case that the drive has to be powered somehow, like by the SS itself. When the IDE to USB adapter comes with a power supply, it should run the drive. The drive has to be powered somehow, and not by the USB itself, so either it has to have an external power supply as part of the kit, or you'd have to use either the SS or maybe a power connector inside the computer to power the drive...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
Will get the kit, for can be used to transfer data from older computer to new unit.

Once received will let you know how I've done.

Best regards,
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that you posted on AVSForum where I no longer post, but in answer to your question about the capacitor part, the answer is in the very same thread that you posted into, for example, post #8 has the information you are looking for...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
I am humbled for your patience with my questions.

Of the capacitor, I looked at #8 and found Panasonic Part # EECF5R5U104. I will order one.

I thought that with the drive out I might as well replace the capacitor, only if its easy to get to. For the SS2000 is 14 years old, and its never needed service !!

I will also order the IDE/USB kit today.

With best regards,
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, here are the instructions for removing just the hard drive: http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/Mikeyboy/mikemenard/3000DriveReplacement2.html, and here are the instructions for taking out the mother board to replace the capacitor (which also includes removing the hard drive as part of the process): http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/Mikeyboy/mikemenard/Motherboard_replacement2.html...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
very thankful for this information. You will save me a great deal of time and reduce errors.

John

Last edited by juan304 on Thu May 01, 2014 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John, I appreciate that!

We usually don't like this kind of information contained in posts. It probably would be better if you were to put this information in your user profile, where you can put your occupation and interests and website information and such. I'm going to let it go because I know that you meant well and I hope you're not trying to take advantage of trying to make advertising...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,
I only meant this for you. I am terribly sorry. Again, thank you for helping me. I will not repeat such a mistake again.

John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juan304 wrote:
I only meant this for you.

FYI, this is a public forum that you don't even have to be a member of to read. If you post in a forum, then it is readable by anyone anywhere and is completely public. If you want to provide an individual with information, then use the PM button to send them a private message...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very humbled ........................ again sorry.........

Reviewing the links that show how to remove the drive and motherboard you might want to add a list of tools and devices needed.

I can see how the IDE/USB powers the hard drive, so this is needed. Plus to prevent static electricity charges the person should wear an anti-static wrist band.

When I redo my SS, I will list such tools.

Want to be helpful, and with best regards,
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juan304 wrote:
Very humbled ........................ again sorry.........

I will leave it up to you if you want to edit your post or leave that information public...

juan304 wrote:
Reviewing the links that show how to remove the drive and motherboard you might want to add a list of tools and devices needed.

The fact that they are links means that they are to existing pages. Mikeyboy (Mike Menard) created those pages, and you can see the originals on http://www.replaytvparts.com...

Henry
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post has been corrected. Will review the new link.

Again thank you,
John
juan304
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry,

Quick update:

1. Attached patch, which was very easy to do. Reset clock.

2. Purchased capacitor for clock backup, but not able to find local vendor that does solder repairs. Therefore have skipped over this repair for now. If capacitor becomes an issue do you know of a good POC that I can contact for repairs?

One point to add: use a can of spray duster to clean the board once the cover is taken off.

With best regards,
John
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juan304 wrote:
2. Purchased capacitor for clock backup, but not able to find local vendor that does solder repairs. Therefore have skipped over this repair for now. If capacitor becomes an issue do you know of a good POC that I can contact for repairs?

Sometimes Radio Shack does this kind of thing, but I don't know for sure...

However, you might consider just plugging it in a UPS power supply and not have to worry about the capacitor. Remember, the capacitor is only good for a limited power outage in the first place, so getting a UPS for a reasonable amount of time should be just as good...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: