Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stew21
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Need Help Reply with quote

I am trying to set up my ReplayTV to download the “time” and “program” info. I have a 3000 model ReplayTV unit,a “Robotics v. Everything” external modem and a laptop computer with Wi-Fi, Windows 7, several USB jacks and an ethernet jack. I am using an instruction sheet labeled “ReplayTV-FREESCO” as my guide.
I’m not totally clear on the hook-up of the three units. I assume I use a standard phone cable between the Replay and the modem “phone” jack. I also assume I connect to the “line” jack on the modem but where do I connect on the computer - to USB or to the
ethernet jack?
Questions:

#1. How do I connect the computer to the modem?

#2. What is the cable called and where do I get one?

#3. Are my assumptions on the other connections correct?

#4. Is there a more detailed or better instruction than the one I’m using?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you, stew21
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you start with this thread...

You aren't going to run Windows on your laptop, you're going to run FREESCO. FREESCO requires what looks like a normal floppy drive and a pretty standard Ethernet card. You can install a PCI Ethernet driver which will allow it to support normal PCI Ethernet cards. I am currently running FREESCO on a pretty old laptop to get this capability...

If you want to setup a FREESCO VM on your laptop running Windows, then you'll want to look at these instructions here...

Basically, you'll want to plug the telephone cord from the RTV to the modem. The modem connects to the PC depending on the modem. Some use a serial cable (25 pin or 9 pin) and some use a USB cable. You should look at your modem instructions for how to connect it to the PC...

If you aren't going to use a phone line simulator, but are going to directly connect the RTV to the modem, then you'll have to run in a poll mode where you have configure FREESCO to check the phone line periodically. These additional instructions are both on the FREESCO readme document and several of the posts I linked. In addition, you'll need to configure the RTV to not wait for dial tone, which is also detailed in several of the documents...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused sheding a tear puking stick out tongue glad i dont have this problem---d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: