Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVArchive guide data: incorrect listings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: DVArchive guide data: incorrect listings Reply with quote

This is an odd problem, and there are two symptoms:
1. the 'recorded on' time is incorrect for some shows
2. some shows do not show up in the 'upcoming shows' tab.

For example, I record White Collar and Covert Affairs back-to-back on USA network, using one of my replays. WiRNS lists both shows in it's 'ToDo List' at the correct times. However, DVArchive only lists Covert Affairs and it lists it as happening three hours later than the proper air time.

As I recall, on TNT, Rizzoli & Isles had problem 2 also, so problem 2 is not network specific.

I tried changing the DVArchive zip code but that did not work. This is a fairly recent problem (it used to work!) and not a deal-breaker. I would like to get it fixed, as the upcoming shows feature is useful.

Somewhere, while researching this, I read that DVArchive gets its data from the same place as the replay units. Is this correct?
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the 'Messages' tab, DVArchive logs the time for the entry three hours in the future!
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you must have something wrong with your Time Zone setting. Double click on your Windows time (in the bottom right-hand corner) and at the bottom of that control panel it should display your current time zone...

Henry
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...suddenly the problem is not present. These symptoms have been here for about a month and I just lived with it.

After posting the problem, I deleted all my dvarchive.xml files except one (it was .xml_4 or something) and all except a trusted DVA_TV.xml file. I renamed the _4 file to DVArchive.xml and rebooted the pc, ran DVArchive 3.2 and presto! It appears all is well.

I can't explain it. Thanks Henry.
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVArchive has begun the time-shift problem again. ALL shows airings are reported to be three hours into the future, as are the messages on that tab.

Where does DVArchive get it's time information? My Windows clock is correct. The zip code is correct. WiRNS shows accurate times for show airings.

I could not use an old .xml_# file to work around the problem, as previously reported.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
Where does DVArchive get it's time information? My Windows clock is correct. The zip code is correct.

As I posted, it gets its time from Windows. Checking the Windows clock for displaying the correct time isn't enough. Did you check your Windows Time Zone setting as I posted?

Henry
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I just forgot to mention I'd checked the time zone. To be sure, I checked the two laptops just now.
Thanks
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, I changed the time zone to Canadian Atlantic, three hours into my future (Mountain time). Then I quit and restarted DVArchive. Messages showed the three hour shift. I then changed the time zone back to Mountain time and the time stamps in the messages tab are correct. I guess it just needed a 'reset' to get the right times.

At least now I know the workaround! Still, it's odd...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVArchive is a Java application and Java gets its time from its own calculations of the current time and the time zone offset. So, it doesn't use the Windows clock exactly as you see it, which is why checking for the correct displayed time isn't enough. You can read more about it on the Java website, but, for example, that's why Java needed a separate update when the DST rules changed, even though you might have updated Windows to keep time correctly. Since Java caculates the current time itself separately, then it's not enough to have the Windows time displayed correctly, it takes all of the components of making the current time be set correctly. The same would be true for pretty much any Java application, not just DVA, that's just the way that Java works...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: