Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showstopper - recording aborts / fails in progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Showstopper - recording aborts / fails in progress Reply with quote

I have a Showstopper (PV-HS2000) with upgraded harddrive (160GB), forcing / getting guide updates through WiRNS / FreeSCO once a week for 66 channels. Comcast DTA codes are installed. I schedule all of my shows manually for 1-time record, on the Replay (not through WiRNS). I've been using this setup for about a year now.

Over the past couple weeks, with what appears to be increasing frequency, a show will start recording (red LED lights), then, partway through the show, the red LED will turn off (and the LED stays off, isn't green). When I check the listing of recorded shows, the show is showing as unrecorded wiht the message "this replaytv channel has nothing set to record at this time".

Perhaps / probably unrelated, I've also noticed that the dial-up takes about 5 minutes from "Connection Established" to beginning to download shows, when it used to take about 10 seconds.

I tried searching the forums, didn't see anyone with a similar problem, so was hoping that the experts out there could give me a sense of what might be going on. (Sign of impending disk failure? System overheating? Corruption somewhere and I just have to hit a magic button and all will be well?)

Thanks!
-amblinn
The Robman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the ability to watch live shows, and if you do, is the reception good and uninterrupted? I'm trying to tell if you have a weak signal which might be causing the DTA box to cut out?

Can you still play your recorded shows OK? If so, that would tend to imply that your hard drive is OK.

When you do the net connect, do you get a new channel guide? If so, that would tend to imply that your connection is working fine.
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Pretty much everything else is just fine... Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Do you still have the ability to watch live shows, and if you do, is the reception good and uninterrupted? I'm trying to tell if you have a weak signal which might be causing the DTA box to cut out?.

Yep, can still watch live shows, and the reception is pretty good. When the DTA does misbehave, it'll usually be about 5 seconds of "frozen screen", then the DTA resets itself. When it's really up a creek, the DTA'll pass sound but not video (which the Replay records as expected). The Replay record-fails-partway-through thing doesn't seem to be channel dependent, nor does it always fail... it's just been failing more frequently of late.

Quote:
Can you still play your recorded shows OK? If so, that would tend to imply that your hard drive is OK.

Yep, no problems there. I'm wondering though, whether it might be a bad sector of the harddrive? In retrospect, it seems to be happening as I'm recording on the last hour or two of free disk space (I don't keep as much free space as a probably should...)

Quote:
When you do the net connect, do you get a new channel guide? If so, that would tend to imply that your connection is working fine.

Yep, the connection is fine (guide updates fairly reliably). I'm less worried about the weird guide update delay (WiRNS logs seem OK, WireShark is next step for that if it gets more worrisome...), just throwing it out there as a possible symptom.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Showstopper - recording aborts / fails in progress Reply with quote

amblinn wrote:
Perhaps / probably unrelated, I've also noticed that the dial-up takes about 5 minutes from "Connection Established" to beginning to download shows, when it used to take about 10 seconds.

I'm doing the same thing daily, and not having any increase in time. I would check your WiRNS log to see if it gives you any indication of where the delay may be, like that maybe WiRNS is having a problem getting the time. Here is my log:

Code:
[6/09/2012 04:30:34] [DNS] Returning 1.2.3.1 (TTL: 900) for production.replaytv.net to 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:36] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Proxying Login (nightly) for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:38] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Proxying Authorization for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:38] [DNS] Returning 1.2.3.1 (TTL: 900) for ntp-production.replaytv.net to 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:39] [NTP] Proxying request to ntp.pt.net for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:39] [NTP] Adjusted response by -4 seconds for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:30:41] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Proxying request for 1.2.3.4.
[6/09/2012 04:30:41] [PLUGIN] ZipcodeProvider: Added 4 lineups for 1.2.3.4.
[6/09/2012 04:31:25] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 1 from 1.2.3.4, because we serve it locally with 64 channels.
[6/09/2012 04:31:27] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 2 from 1.2.3.4, because we serve it locally with 106 channels.
[6/09/2012 04:31:29] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 3 from 1.2.3.4, because we serve it locally with 67 channels.
[6/09/2012 04:31:30] Hijacking headend request for WiRNS lineup 4 from 1.2.3.4, because we serve it locally with 74 channels.
[6/09/2012 04:31:32] Proxying guide data for: 2012-06-09 for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:31:42] Proxying guide data for: 2012-06-10 for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:32:06] Proxying guide data for: 2012-06-17 for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:32:53] [PLUGIN] XactProvider requesting ReplayGuide for: 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:33:12] [PLUGIN] XactProvider refreshing RecordingGuide, 97 of 111GB available for: 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:33:14] [PLUGIN] GetNextCall initialized.
[6/09/2012 04:33:14] [PLUGIN] GetNextCall Time: 04:28 for 12 min to 1.2.3.4.
[6/09/2012 04:33:16] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Processing Servers for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:33:21] [PLUGIN] GetShellCommands initialized.
[6/09/2012 04:33:21] [PLUGIN] GetShellCommands using shellcmds from: C:\WiRNS\0200000X000APXY00000\shellcmds for 1.2.3.4
[6/09/2012 04:33:24] [PLUGIN] LoginAuthLogout Proxying Logout (nightly) for 1.2.3.4

So, check yours out and see if anything obvious pops out...

I also have a nightly show record, which is working fine as well, but that is a repeat show recording, not a one-time show recording. The only thing I'm aware of is what The Robman pointed out about signal strength, the RTV will stop recording if signal strength is low. However, I believe the red LED will still stay on the entire recording period but the end result is that the Replay Guide will show an incomplete recording, so that is a bit different. What you are saying about it indicating that the show has nothing to record is normal for a one-time show recording that has past. But, it not having anything showing as recorded is certainly strange! I have seen a few reports of that kind of thing in the past, and they've always been inexplicable...

amblinn wrote:
In retrospect, it seems to be happening as I'm recording on the last hour or two of free disk space (I don't keep as much free space as a probably should...)

This could certainly be related. I believe the older units don't handle low free disk space very well. You might try clearing up some disk space and see if it makes any difference...

Henry
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Yep, just a low disk situation... Reply with quote

So, I did a bit more playing around this morning, and it really seems to be just a "low on space" situation. Of course, I also finally got the helpful on-screen message along the lines of "the recording has stopped because you don't have any disk space left. clear up some disk space to fix this". Guide is showing about 35 minutes free at this point, so I think we've found the culprit (BTW, when I said "manual record", I meant "record each show through the guide as a guaranteed recording, rather than depend on zones or repeat recordings.)

As far as the "dial-out delay"... overall time is about the same, guide still updates, clock isn't drifting, WiRNS log doesn't show any errors or hiccups... maybe I'll play with it more once I've cleared a little space . If slow connection-established still seems an issue after that, I'll start a new thread in the WiRNS forum.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!

-- amblinn
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Yep, just a low disk situation... Reply with quote

amblinn wrote:
So, I did a bit more playing around this morning, and it really seems to be just a "low on space" situation. Of course, I also finally got the helpful on-screen message along the lines of "the recording has stopped because you don't have any disk space left. clear up some disk space to fix this". Guide is showing about 35 minutes free at this point, so I think we've found the culprit (BTW, when I said "manual record", I meant "record each show through the guide as a guaranteed recording, rather than depend on zones or repeat recordings.)

That's interesting! I asumed that manual meant one-time show recordings (which is why I changed my post once I realized that, if you happened to see that). However, I think "guaranteed" is the key, because with guaranteed it doesn't delete any shows. You can't schedule more guaranteeds than you have disk space, but it also means that it can't delete any of them to make room. I don't know if making them non-guaranteed would make any difference for low disk space, but filling up the disk on the older units is apparently really bad...

amblinn wrote:
As far as the "dial-out delay"... overall time is about the same, guide still updates, clock isn't drifting, WiRNS log doesn't show any errors or hiccups... maybe I'll play with it more once I've cleared a little space . If slow connection-established still seems an issue after that, I'll start a new thread in the WiRNS forum.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean to look for errors, I meant to look at the timing. The reason I posted my log was so you could see how much time it took for each event that WiRNS logs. So, you should look at your WiRNS for the net connect and see if you see some large time gaps between events and maybe that will help figure out what's going on. If you want to try it again after you clear up disk space and it still has the long delay, simply post your WiRNS log for the net connect and maybe I can figure out if that means anything...

Henry
amblinn
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: quick follow-up... Reply with quote

So, indeed, the problem is that ReplayTV was mis-estimating the amount of free space it had, by about 30-40 minutes. I record / save everything as guaranteed, so was cutting it a little too close some nights. Since I've been more careful, I haven't had any missed recordings.

My other issue (unexplained delay during "Setting Clock...") turned out to be a WiRNS misconfiguration (my DNS Server IP setting somehow got deleted... oops... guide would still update, but clock wouldn't set). So, all is good here, and just putting the resolution in case someone stumbles across this during a search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: