Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Womble Settings Refresher, Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Womble Settings Refresher, Please Reply with quote

WARNING: I do not understand encoding, reencoding, transcoding, or any of that stuff. I only ever understood how to do the steps & not the technical stuff behind the whys & wherefores, and I used to be able to do it well enough.

Long story short is that I can't remember what to "do next" in Womble once I've edited out commercials or whatever to keep it from re-encoding re-rendering or whatever the edited clip

Longer story is that I used to do the process a whole lot but haven't in probably a couple of years since moving to NAS -- I was just leaving the mpeg files as is & not burning movies to DVDs. So, I've forgotten how to do things.

I've continued to use DVArchive to move stuff off the RTVs. I used to use Womble to edit out unwanted stuff, RTVConvert so things could be streamed back to the RTVs, and then Ulead or whatever to burn to DVDs.

My dd, however, will be in the hospital for nearly a month, and she wants to have some of her "comfort" videos to help pass the time. "No problem," I thought, "I'll just burn the stuff to DVDs the way I used to do."

First bad news was that the tutorial links I used to use are dead. I thought I'd printed out the tutorials at some point, but heck if I can find them. And, the computer I used to use with whatever Womble settings worked well with RTV mpegs when to computer heaven long ago, so whatever setting changes needed to be made are lost to me.

So, I decided to just give it a try. I edited one of the mpegs, dragged the clip onto the timeline, scrubbed through it to make sure there were no audio sync issues, & clicked on the red "Export" button. Yikes -- that's obviously not the right thing to do because it took forever -- something like 36 minutes for a 90 minute movie recorded in medium quality! I may not remember everything, but I surely remember nothing taking nearly that long.

So, I tried serching the forum & found something that talked about using Save rather than Export (if I correctly understood), but when I tried Save and Save As, the only options were to save as a MVW project file (*.wbp), not as a mpg file.

Can anyone please remind me what I need to do in Womble once I've edited the clip/clips?

Many thanks!
Saundra
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Never Mind -- Stupid User Reply with quote

It seems common sense abandoned me to not think that when doing the editing on a NAS, the speed would suffer <shaking my head>. When I did the same on RTV mpegs on one of my local hard drives, everything worked as I remembered & as quickly, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> MPEG Editing / DVD Creation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: