Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer & internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wentylaa
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: computer & internet Reply with quote

How do I get internet on a computer that has no connection? I have 3 computers one is hooked up to the internet and has a wireless connection for the laptop but the other computer has no internet and don't have a phone jack; is there a way or a device that can give that computer internet or make it realize the wireless connection is there.

Last edited by wentylaa on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 am; edited 1 time in total
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a very good practice to connect a computer directly to the internet. You want a firewall/router to restrict inbound connection attempts. Most firewall/routers also have wireless and at least 4 wired network ports.

How is your computer connected to the internet? DSL? Cable? Dialup? Does it plug into the computer with something that looks like a big phone jack and has 8 wires in it (look at the end)

Another thing that would help is to click/type "start -> run -> cmd.exe" and then type "ipconfig". The output will include a line "Default Gateway". That number would be helpful.

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! wentylaa is a random email address at dispostable.com. Anyone can go to www.dispostable.com and look at wentylaa's inbox to see that it created accounts on several forums all on the same day, and most likely all with this same topic. I've never seen anything like this before, an email inbox specifically for this purpose! The contact for dispostable.com is a company in The Netherlands who provides "Disposable email service. Receive e-mail without creating an account, thus minimizing spam in your regular account."! So, it may minimize spam in your regular account, but it seems to maximize the spam in your dispostable account!

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this stuff all the time in the SD forum and have to block it. I"ve even used similar services from time to time when you have to give an email to see something. (10minuteemail, bugmenot, etc)

What's strange about this case, is it really seems like a guy looking for help... there are no links in the email that are obviously link spam.

Might as well delete the thread. Maybe it's for real and the guy got his answer elsewhere. I don't think he/she is coming back.

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
What's strange about this case, is it really seems like a guy looking for help... there are no links in the email that are obviously link spam.

But, guess what? They came back and added spam links later! "The Robman" has indicated that this is the new way of spamming. Ask a reasonable question without any links, then come back and add links later. You can see by the OP modification time that they added the links shortly after your post...

Henry
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, guess what? They came back and added spam links later! "The Robman" has indicated that this is the new way of spamming. Ask a reasonable question without any links, then come back and add links later. You can see by the OP modification time that they added the links shortly after your post..[/quote]
Wow.. very creative. That would totally get by me on the SD forums... I monitor new posts and threads, not reading things that were just modified (like a search engine would).

I'm going to need to think about how to combat the new technique!

I suggest you delete the thread or remove the links.

Robert
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
I suggest you delete the thread or remove the links.

Yeah, I guess I could have removed the links right away, but then you wouldn't have been amazed! I'll leave the thread for a little while so people can poke into email account!

Now, to get rid of all those baby carriers posts! disgusted

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, another new member, schafena, is doing the same thing using that dispostable email scheme...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: WOW! It's an Invasion!!! Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Well, another new member, schafena, is doing the same thing using that dispostable email scheme...

Yet *ANOTHER* New Member: toolightno

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: