Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DvArchiveV3 Ram Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingtutman
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: DvArchiveV3 Ram Question Reply with quote

What is the total RAM DvArchive is using and how is availabe to it thigny do? It's the little blue bar at the bottom of the screen. Mine says 13 out of 64 megabytes. Is that how much memory it has?
gduprey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 64M is the max RAM DVA can use. This is not actually allocated, just a limit Java/DVA put in place. The smaller number (13M) is how much RAM is actually in use by DVA at that moment.

Note: these numbers may not compare to what the O/S shows as there is overhead for the Java runtime engine itself and java does some internal memory managment.
Squirrel
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I change the amount that it can use, I need more ram set aside for DVA, the 64 is filling up.
NetBoot
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVArchive says it needs more RAM?
How to I give more RAM to DVArchive?

With DVArchive V3.x and later, the TV listing functions can take up a lot of memory. The actual amount is a function of how many TV channels you list and how many days in advance you have. By default, DVArchive has up to 64MB of RAM it CAN use (it doesn't not actually use RAM until needed).
If DVA starts running low on memory, it'll generally ask you to increase it. To change the amount of RAM requires altering the command that starts DVArchive.

For Linux/BSD/Solaris/unixy systems
Alter the command to look like this

java -Xmx128m -jar DVArchive.jar

You can alter that to match the paths and options you use to launch DVA. The important part is the -Xmx128m which in this example, lets DVA grow to 128MB

For Windows
Your best bet is to run WinDVA which hides the ugly command line changes you need to up the RAM and kes it as easy as typing in a simple number. Read more about it at http://s95184944.onlinehome.us/ReplayTV.html

If you want to just use the standard Windows icon, right click on the Icon you launch DVArchive with and pick properties. The Target field will specify the DVArchive.jar file. Make note of the path.

In front of the path, put javaw -Xmx128m -jar so the Target will look something like this:

javaw -Xmx128m -jar "C:\Program Files\DVArchive\DVArchive.jar"

If that does not work, you may have a problem with your Java install. If you continue to have problems, I seriously suggest considering using WinDVA (mentioned earlier) as it's hides all the icky details.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi --a couple weeks ago my dva started begging for more ram again on my w7 comp but this time when i try to change the target it tells me target not valid, ive temporarilly cut back the tv guide and im good for now. any suggestions appreciated==thanx in advance ==d
blujay40
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
hi --a couple weeks ago my dva started begging for more ram again on my w7 comp but this time when i try to change the target it tells me target not valid, ive temporarilly cut back the tv guide and im good for now. any suggestions appreciated==thanx in advance ==d

Did you try right clicking on the DVA shortcut and selecting "Open File Location" which should open the folder where DVA lives? That would verify your "target" is valid.

Otherwise, it sounds like it might be just a syntax issue in the runtime parameters.

As an example, I am running DVA on my Win7Pro system and the line below is what I currently have for the runtime parameters. Yeah, I know that 500MB is a little "overkill, but with 12GB of memory in my current system, I can afford to be generous.

C:\Windows\System32\javaw.exe -Xmx500m -jar "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\DVArchive\DVArchive.jar"

HTH

J
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness, to change DVArchive memory on OS X:

Do a Get Info on the DVArchive application icon.

Enter the memory parameter in the Spotlight Comments field.

For example, to increase to 384MB enter: -Xmx384m
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx guys but still no joy disgusted =d
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and thanx again for ur help guys. i found by accident of course that the last version of java did not work well on w7. i saw java v7u4 and installed it and it all worked as usual as on my wxp. i also had a problem with another earlier version of java where the icon just showed a file page and not the cup. but again only on the w7. i gave it 500m as well--d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: