Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CM-7000 replacement: OTA converters and subchannels?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: CM-7000 replacement: OTA converters and subchannels? Reply with quote

(I posted at AVSforum, but haven't gotten any help there)

My two CM-7000s just died (I'm trying to repair them, but no luck so far). They've worked perfectly for me with WiRNS... I just map the guide channels to 3 digits (e.g., 2-1 => 21; 44-2 => 442) and everything just worked fine via the IR Blaster.

I'm looking for any help finding a replacement box that is (1) still for sale "cheaply" (~$40) and (2) will tune the subchannel when given 3 digits. For instance, the Apex 502 required "44.2" and since the Replay doesn't send the ".", I couldn't get to subchannels.

Any suggestions? I've a small list of availables boxes at this AVSforum post.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CM-7000 replacement: OTA converters and subchannels? Reply with quote

jlv wrote:

I don't post on AVSForum any longer. You have to post here if you want my help...

jlv wrote:
My two CM-7000s just died (I'm trying to repair them, but no luck so far). They've worked perfectly for me with WiRNS... I just map the guide channels to 3 digits (e.g., 2-1 => 21; 44-2 => 442) and everything just worked fine via the IR Blaster.

I'm looking for any help finding a replacement box that is (1) still for sale "cheaply" (~$40) and (2) will tune the subchannel when given 3 digits. For instance, the Apex 502 required "44.2" and since the Replay doesn't send the ".", I couldn't get to subchannels.

Any suggestions? I've a small list of availables boxes at this AVSforum post.

You should have checked out this thread and this post...

You didn't mention which model RTV you are using (although "WiRNS" probably gives it away), there is a different thread for OTA STBs compatible with the older dial-up units, which makes for some interesting reading as well. Since you're using WiRNS, you shouldn't be afraid to add IR Blaster codes to your RTV if you like one of the other OTA STBs better...

Henry
jlv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Henry.

My units are 5K's. I've got no problem adding IR blaster codes (I made fixes to the .rid for the CM-7000).

I read that thread recently - it is missing the key answer: which OTA STBs handle subchannels? e.g., as it says in a post in that thread:
Quote:
Are any of the STBs capable of tuning subchannels by sending 3 digits via IR?
Or do they all require a 'POINT' to be sent?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list in the post that I linked is OTA STBs compatilbe with the RTV, which means that they can be tuned to any channel with the standard RTV IR Blaster coding. That's the difference between the list and the other discussions, both about ones that don't work with any RTV blaster codes, and ones that can't be tuned normally by the RTV method of controlling channels...

Henry
The Robman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: CM-7000 replacement: OTA converters and subchannels? Reply with quote

jlv wrote:

I answered your post in the JP1 forums:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=103144#103144
jlv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
The list in the post that I linked is OTA STBs compatilbe with the RTV, which means that they can be tuned to any channel with the standard RTV IR Blaster coding. That's the difference between the list and the other discussions, both about ones that don't work with any RTV blaster codes, and ones that can't be tuned normally by the RTV method of controlling channels...

Henry
That list isn't explicit about which of those work with subchannels. For instance, it includes the Apex 502, which doesn't work as it required a "-" to tune the subchannel (3-digits did not work -- I had one before I bought the CM-7000s).

The other problem is that almost all of those are no longer available for sale. I can only find the RCA DTA800B1 for a decent price, and that's the one on that list that is explicitly not recommended for RTVs.

Which is why I'm still asking for what people are using (or know that works).
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the list was supposed to be OTA STBs that worked completely. But, it was created a very long time ago, so it doesn't surprise me that it's way out of date...

I thought I've read that people still use the Zenith OTA STB. I think it's model number may have increased by one, and you have to upload the IR Blaster code for it, but it's at least the model I've read about somewhat recently. There really hasn't been many posts on the subject recently...

Henry
jlv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Update: Zinwell ZAT 970A Reply with quote

I'm temporarily using the Zinwell ZAT 970A (rid from http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10910) until I get my CM-7000s working again.

The Zinwell is still for sale (Amazon has it for $40 f/s).

The video quality is "OK" -- it's composite video only (I was using S-video previously).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: