Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong Show Durations on RTVs for DVA Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Wrong Show Durations on RTVs for DVA Shows Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions about what would cause the wrong show durations to be displayed on RTVs for DVA shows? And more importantly, how do I fix it?

I'm one of those weird people who has a lot of RTV recorded content that I use DVA to manage. Because of our extensive library, I run multiple instances of DVA. And, that's worked great for me until recently.

Within the past few days, all of the shows from one & only one of my DVA instances (TV Shows) show up on all of our RTVs as being 1 hr 30 minutes when the vast majority are around 60 minutes, and none are 90 minutes.

The times show correctly in DVA -- it's just on the RTVs that the durations are incorrect. And, the shows are properly served to the RTVs & play fine -- at least the ones I've checked.

Clearly, I've messed up something, but I haven't a clue as to what I did wrong so am clueless about how to fix it.

I've rebooted all the RTVs, I've restarted that DVA instance, I've rebooted my PC & router, etc. Nothing has fixed it yet.

There may be a clue on the DVA Messages tab, but I'm not sure about that. Bad on me, I know, but when I started running WiRNS (back when the EPG was going to go away), I started getting error messages/red lights that had to do with WiRNS every time I start up each of the DVA instances. I asked about it & got no answers, and everything worked fine, so I got in the habit of just ignoring the red light on startup.

Anyway, with this new problem, I started checking the Message tab & see the following:
03/28 09:09:14 ERROR: Unable to rename new show info into final show XML filename -- PLEASE CHECK PERMISSIONS -- SHOW NOT SAVED

That error message repeats each time I start that particular instance of DVA with the date & time changing to the current startup.

Yikes. I regularly rename shows in DVA (i.e., add season, episode, and date) -- a couple of times a week at least. No further information is given other than the above error message, so I haven't a clue as to what show is the problem. And, to be honest, that error message could have been showing up for months since I wasn't paying attention to that red light on startup. So, it may -- or may not -- be related to my current problem.

So, before I muck things up more than I obviously already have, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions?

TIA,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pick any show that is indicating a duration of 90 minutes and look at the .xml file for that show file using notepad or wordpad. Look in the RECORDING_INFO section for the DURATION_IN_SECONDS setting and see what it shows. A 90 minute show would say 5400 seconds...

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about a "red light on startup", but if you are talking about the status "lights" on DVA in the bottom right-hand corner that say Scheduler and Server, if the Server "light" is red, then that means that instance of DVA isn't serving shows. Or, maybe you mean that the Messages tab gets a red "light" on it, indicating that there is an error message waiting to be viewed. I couldn't find any post of yours on PlanetReplay reporting a problem of running WiRNS and DVA, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your setup. Your error above sounds like either a show you downloaded or renamed never completed, so you might need to simply look through your directories of stored shows to see if you can find a show that only has three files (.mpg, .evt, .ndx) and is missing the .xml file to correct the problem...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Henry!

Thanks for the input. Here's what I have so far.

I've checked about forty or so of the *.xml files that show 60 minutes duration correctly in DVA but incorrectly on the RTVs. So far, all the *.xml files correctly indicate around 3660 seconds, which I think is about right for a one hour show, yes?

Thinking perhaps I'd reached the "too many shows" problem again, I tried removing each of the two regular Local Guide storage paths sequentially & rebooting everything in between the two changes. In case it matters, one Local Guide storage path has 83 shows & is using 131 GB, the second has 196 shows & is using 330 GB.

And, the problem persisted: all of the shows are about 60 minutes but all show as 1 hr 30 minutes on all of our RTVs.

I also went through both storage paths to make sure all four required files for each show is present. There are actually five (*.bak), and all are present.

So, where are the RTVs getting the incorrect show duration from?!? I'm completely stumped. FWIW, my four other DVA instances are continuing to work just fine with no problems at all.

I solved the new red circle on the DVA Messages tab at start up -- sorry I wasn't clearer what I was talking about. I had recently added two new "test" storage paths because I was playing around with rtvconvert (that's another story), and removing those two "test" paths eliminated the new error message.

Here's the link about my DVA/WiRNS issue that doesn't seem to cause any functional problem:http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15753&highlight=
I was searching for the error message I was seeing & butted into the thread when I saw the same error in that thread. I quit worrying about it a long time ago since it doesn't seem to cause any functional problems at all.

Thanks,
Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslund wrote:
I've checked about forty or so of the *.xml files that show 60 minutes duration correctly in DVA but incorrectly on the RTVs. So far, all the *.xml files correctly indicate around 3660 seconds, which I think is about right for a one hour show, yes?

Thinking perhaps I'd reached the "too many shows" problem again, I tried removing each of the two regular Local Guide storage paths sequentially & rebooting everything in between the two changes. In case it matters, one Local Guide storage path has 83 shows & is using 131 GB, the second has 196 shows & is using 330 GB.

And, the problem persisted: all of the shows are about 60 minutes but all show as 1 hr 30 minutes on all of our RTVs.

I also went through both storage paths to make sure all four required files for each show is present. There are actually five (*.bak), and all are present.

So, where are the RTVs getting the incorrect show duration from?!? I'm completely stumped. FWIW, my four other DVA instances are continuing to work just fine with no problems at all.

Sounds like the XML files are correct, then. I suspected as much when you said that DVA was showing the correct durations, but thought it best to double check...

The .bak files are for DVA's use, and really don't have anything to do with the operation of DVA. They are generated when you change the details of a show to save the original information. However, you could check through them and see if they happen to have a duration more around 90 minutes...

If you wanted to see more what's going on, you could use something like ReplayPC to download the guide snapshot from that instance of DVA and then use something like its guide dumper, or GuideParser, or my GuideParser5 to see what DVA is reporting to the RTVs...

sslund wrote:
Here's the link about my DVA/WiRNS issue that doesn't seem to cause any functional problem:http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15753&highlight=
I was searching for the error message I was seeing & butted into the thread when I saw the same error in that thread. I quit worrying about it a long time ago since it doesn't seem to cause any functional problems at all.

Ah, yes. Sorry I didn't zero in on that post when I went looking. Yeah, that seems to be a common problem that likely has something to do with WiRNS responsiveness sometimes. I haven't ever really been in a good position to track that down. You have to leave DVA running for a pretty long time to have it happening and I think it probably takes some other things going to to make it happen. I think it's likely that sometimes WiRNS just can't respond appropriately, and I'm not sure what could actualy be done about it...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Sounds like the XML files are correct, then. I suspected as much when you said that DVA was showing the correct durations, but thought it best to double check...

The .bak files are for DVA's use, and really don't have anything to do with the operation of DVA. They are generated when you change the details of a show to save the original information. However, you could check through them and see if they happen to have a duration more around 90 minutes...

If you wanted to see more what's going on, you could use something like ReplayPC to download the guide snapshot from that instance of DVA and then use something like its guide dumper, or GuideParser, or my GuideParser5 to see what DVA is reporting to the RTVs...

Oh, dear . . . I think that's probably way over my head/skills ability.

Keeping in mind that I really don't know how any of this works -- just that it has been working wonderfully for me until just recently and that this incorrect show duration showing up on the RTVs is only with one of my five DVA instances -- is there any likelihood that deleting & recreating that particular instance of DVA or changing setting on the Server tab in DVArchive properties might resolve this problem?

hdonzis wrote:
Ah, yes. Sorry I didn't zero in on that post when I went looking. Yeah, that seems to be a common problem that likely has something to do with WiRNS responsiveness sometimes. I haven't ever really been in a good position to track that down. You have to leave DVA running for a pretty long time to have it happening and I think it probably takes some other things going to to make it happen. I think it's likely that sometimes WiRNS just can't respond appropriately, and I'm not sure what could actualy be done about it...

Interesting. For me, that error & the red circle ont on the DVA Messages tab happens within a minute or two of starting DVA & doesn't recur no matter how long I leave DVA running. And, AFAIK, at least based on my non-power use of both programs, there's no functionality problem from the error.

Other than me getting lazy: because it happens within a minute or two each time I start each DVA instance, I'd gotten in the bad habit of ignoring it on start-up. I've fixed that bad habit so that should I ever get that "ERROR: Unable to rename new show info into final show XML filename -- PLEASE CHECK PERMISSIONS -- SHOW NOT SAVED," message, I'll catch it right away rather than as some later point when something else is also happening.

Thanks again, Henry!

Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslund wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Oh, dear . . . I think that's probably way over my head/skills ability.

Keeping in mind that I really don't know how any of this works -- just that it has been working wonderfully for me until just recently and that this incorrect show duration showing up on the RTVs is only with one of my five DVA instances -- is there any likelihood that deleting & recreating that particular instance of DVA or changing setting on the Server tab in DVArchive properties might resolve this problem?

Hard to say. All I can think at this point is to try to pin down that DVA is actually reporting those show durations. And, I'm not sure what you would even do about it at that point. But, it would be good to know where the problem was coming from. I suppose you have nothing to lose by deleting and and recreating it or trying to change settings. I can't image which setting there is for "all shows report 90 minutes"!

You also could consider posting this problem on the DVArchive forum and see if you get any better response over there...

sslund wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

Interesting. For me, that error & the red circle ont on the DVA Messages tab happens within a minute or two of starting DVA & doesn't recur no matter how long I leave DVA running. And, AFAIK, at least based on my non-power use of both programs, there's no functionality problem from the error.

Other than me getting lazy: because it happens within a minute or two each time I start each DVA instance, I'd gotten in the bad habit of ignoring it on start-up. I've fixed that bad habit so that should I ever get that "ERROR: Unable to rename new show info into final show XML filename -- PLEASE CHECK PERMISSIONS -- SHOW NOT SAVED," message, I'll catch it right away rather than as some later point when something else is also happening.

That's certainly interesting. I wasn't sure how it was showing up for most users, I was thinking that it was an intermittent thing versus a startup problem. I've never seen it, so I don't know...

Actually, I just played with it a little bit just now and I was able to get the error a single time. I'll see if I can play with it some more to see if I can track it down...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sslund wrote:
hdonzis wrote:

OK, I figured out what was going on and I fixed it! I have posted an update which corrects this problem...

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTFLMAO!!! I am seriously doing a Happy Dance at your WiRNS update so that I don't get that little red light on the Messages tab when starting up DVA anymore!!! Whatever the problem was, it didn't seem to have a negative effect on function, but since I don't understand how things work, that error message always made me a little bit nervous. thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!!

As for my other issue, I think I'm going to have to just let it sit for a bit. I'd love to be able to post over in the DVA forums to see if anyone has suggestions there, but I apparently neglected to change my email addy a couple of years back & my account is "inactive." I've tried a couple of times since then to get my account reactivated and to try to set up a new account with no luck.

Ack -- beep, beep . . . back up that bus because I found the solution! I don't know how I missed it before (probably didn't search for the right words), but here it is:
http://www.dvarchive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3131&highlight=duration

<shaking my head> I don't know how that change got made because I'm the only one who uses this computer & I sure didn't do it . . . I wouldn't have even known what it meant. Plus, I have print-outs of each DVA Properties tab for each DVA instance (disaster recovery -- can you tell I've been there, done that before?), and that wasn't the a setting change I made.

However, I do recall an improper DVA shutdown error message around the time the problem started occurring . . . I don't recall the cause of the improper shutdown, but maybe that was it? Who knows?! I was also playing around with trying to learn rtvconvert at the same time, so maybe I did make a setting change I don't recall. I sure wouldn't swear that I didn't.

But, had I not been writing to thank you for the WiRNS update, I wouldn't have been trying to confirm my DVA membership error message again, and I wouldn't have thought, "As long as I'm here, I may as well try searching the forum again & use duration this time." And, BINGO.

Thanks so much for your help, Henry -- you've saved my bacon more than a few times over the years!

Saundra
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I would have never thought to search the DVArchive forum for that in the first place, much less that there would be such an option in the first place!

Reading the post you linked, it makes perfect sense now! Kind of an interesting idea in the first place! Obviously it wouldn't have been clear how that option gets implemented, that it means that it makes show durations a minimum of 90 minutes. Especially since I wrote:
Quote:
I can't image which setting there is for "all shows report 90 minutes"!
That I couldn't have imagined that it could have been controlled by an option since I was being facetious!

I don't really use DVA all that much, so I'm not so familiar with the different options. I just use it to download shows every once in awhile, or maybe to stream them back. I used to use it more to check for show recording conflicts way back before I got into using WiRNS, but since it doesn't handle manual recordings and had some problems with determining upcoming recordings, I've completely moved to using WiRNS for pretty much everything. Obviously I test it to work properly with WiRNS, especially with the EPG issue, that I wanted to ensure that WiRNS could feed EPG to DVA...

Anyway, I'm glad that the WiRNS update took care of your problem, and that you were able to find the DVA solution on the DVA forum! You didn't post, but can I assume that you unchecked the "Expand Each Shows Listing to full width?" option and that took care of the problem? I suppose that a complete removal and reinstallation would have taken care of the problem since it would have gone back to the default setting. But, it would have taken a complete removal because normally the preference files get left behind, which would have meant it would have remained having the problem. It really would have been hard to track down, and if you had completely removed everything and reinstalled, then you wouldn't have even known why the problem went away!

Henry
sslund
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuppers -- I unchecked that box, and all was well again. Who woud have thought there was such a setting?! That's the tiny nit I have/had about wonderful programs like DVA: for people like me who came into the game relatively late, I never figured out what some of the settings were about.

Thanks again, Henry!

Saundra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: