Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVSM and Windows 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwwillia
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: IVSM and Windows 7 Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten IVSMagic to run under Windows 7?
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: IVSM and Windows 7 Reply with quote

Yes it's been running fine for me under Windows 7.

What is not working for you?

dwwillia wrote:
Has anyone gotten IVSMagic to run under Windows 7?
dwwillia
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I create the Virtual Replay, I do not get an ISN number. I get a Serial number ok, but no ISN number. I read that you have to manually make an entry in the ivsm.ini for the MAC address, but that did not fix the problem. Did you have to do anything special?
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides adding the mac address, Nope. Below is how I have mine.

Did you choose the correct mac address? Also did you hit "Update system configuration" & "Restart IVS Magic Service"

; Path to IVSm SQLite DB (IVSmagic.db)
sqlite_db_path=C:\Program Files\IVSmagic\db

; Mac address
custom_mac_address=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

dwwillia wrote:
When I create the Virtual Replay, I do not get an ISN number. I get a Serial number ok, but no ISN number. I read that you have to manually make an entry in the ivsm.ini for the MAC address, but that did not fix the problem. Did you have to do anything special?
dwwillia
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had IVSm running on this pc ok with XP, doesn't want to play nice with Win 7. I tried moving the IVSm network connection to a second physical port on the pc and changing the MAC address to the new port, but it still will not give an ISN. I see where the MAC address gets added as part of the Serial Number, so I know it sees the entry in the .ini file. Yes, I did the update and restarted the service multiple times.
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: IVSM and Windows 7 Reply with quote

choliscott wrote:

Using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? And installed within Windows 7, yes (i.e. not in a VM)?
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: IVSM and Windows 7 Reply with quote

On Win 7 64 bit, I know you have to install IVSM under a different folder besides the default (program files (x86). C:\IVSM works fine.

However adding the MAC address line does not work (at least not for me).

On Win 7 32 bit, At the time I posted the message in 2010, the Mac address assigned to the Motherboard gave me the ISN #. However I have since upgraded my IVSM computer to a different CPU & motherboard & when I tried using that MAC address, it wouldn't give me a ISN#. However it allowed me to use the MAC address from my previous board & gave me back the same ISN #.

Overall On 64 bit, I couldn't get it to work & it's a hit & miss if it works on 32 bit. If it doesn't work with your MAC address on the computer your using for IVSM, you could try a MAC address from another computer. Heck if you have a RTV that you're not using, you could possibly try using that one.

I have since switched to 64 bit & using Wirns for IVS & the process of converting over to using Windows Media Center

krkaufman wrote:
choliscott wrote:

Using the 32-bit or 64-bit version? And installed within Windows 7, yes (i.e. not in a VM)?
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

I've made a bit of progress since posting, after noticiing (1) that the serial number listed for my Virtual Replay did NOT include all the characters from my MAC address, and (2) seeing that you'd explicitly mentioned "00" as the first 2 characters in your MAC address example.

So, after substituting "00" for the first 2 characters of my MAC address, when setting the 'custom_mac_address' parameter, IVSmagic produced both a serial number AND ISN. I'm currently in the process of testing whether the ISN works. (send/receive/IVS test/etc)

p.s. It's worth noting that the MAC address values I've seen for the ReplayTVs in my life all started with "00:0A:97", the range assigned to SONICblue; as in my working custom MAC, starting with "00."

Last edited by krkaufman on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
choliscott
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 00 was an example to start. Hopefully it works out for you

krkaufman wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

I've made a bit of progress since posting, after noticiing (1) that the serial number listed for my Virtual Replay did NOT include all the characters from my MAC address, and (2) seeing that you'd explicitly mentioned "00" as the first 2 characters in your MAC address example.

So, after substituting "00" for the first 2 characters of my MAC address, when setting the 'custom_mac_address' parameter, IVSmagic produced both a serial number AND ISN. I'm currently in the process of testing whether the ISN works. (send/receive/IVS test/etc)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:

IVSmagic only uses the ending 11 characters of the MAC address to make the serial number. The serial number is an 18-character string, which starts with RTV5516 and the last 11 characters of the MAC address in all cases. Since a MAC address is 12 characters, then the first character would be dropped in all cases...

krkaufman wrote:
p.s. It's worth noting that the MAC address values I've seen for the ReplayTVs in my life all started with "00:0A:97", the range assigned to SONICblue; as in my working custom MAC, starting with "00."

That's true for 5K RTVs, which makes their ISNs start with 00004- in decimal. And, that's the way that Poopli determines the RTV type, so IVSmagic also generates an ISN that starts with 00004- followed by the last ten digits of the MAC address converted to decimal...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: