Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac's OS X Lion to kill DV Archive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonMalice
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Mac's OS X Lion to kill DV Archive? Reply with quote

"PowerPC"-type applications are reported to no longer work under Apple's upcoming OS X Lion, due in a few months.

DVArchive appears to be one of these when you "Get Info" on the application :-<

If I'm wrong, could someone confirm? If I'm right, does anyone know of plans to update the application?

Alternatively, does anyone know of an alternative program to use?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably looking at the Mac OS X launcher, which may well be a PowerPC type application. However, DVArchive is a Java application and should run just fine under any version of Mac OS X as long as they continue to support Java, you'll just have to run it manually instead. I guess if you're wondering if the guy who created the launcher for DVArchive under Mac OS X (who isn't the guy who created DVArchive) is going to create an Intel native launcer, you might want to post a question on the DVArchive forum. However, I believe that the launcher is simply an Apple Script, and all you might have to do is to compile it on the Intel hardware. I have modified the script myself back with DVA 3.1 to make it work with Java 5 (at the time), and it was pretty trivial. So, I suggest you start reading here for how I was able to edit and recompile the Apple Script myself. The instructions are right within the DVArchive package itself, so it shouldn't be too very much trouble. Either way, I would certainly recommend checking out the DVArchive forum to see if there are any plans to update the Mac OS X launcher...

Henry
JonMalice
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification and tips -- very helpful indeed

Quick question -- how do you run DVArchive manually? Via terminal? Am curious about the procedure...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

JonMalice wrote:
Quick question -- how do you run DVArchive manually? Via terminal? Am curious about the procedure...

Yeah, that would be the easiest way. I think the manual run command line is spelled out somewhere, probably on the DVArchive website FAQs or such. It's also contained in the current Mac Apple Script if you want to see what it currently is. But, it's pretty straight forward, and I think the only thing extra that the Apple Script does is to add a memory size option...

If you look at that thread I linked, I believe I started out making it into a Terminal command line instead, so I believe that is already detailed in there, for example, I used "sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Commands/java -jar DVArchiveMac.jar&" to run DVArchive 3.1 using Java 1.4. If you copy the Terminal command line into a text file and name the text file .command, then it will automatically become a Terminal launch script. So, if you simply put "sudo java -Xmx256m -jar DVArchiveMac.jar&" into a file named DVArchive.command, then you would see a Terminal-like icon named DVArchive which you could launch an it would run Terminal to run DVArchive...

I also found some very good reading here!

And, by the way, here is a post on the DVArchive forum from the guy who made the Mac OS package, with some good information. But, he's the guy you'd want to contact (probably on that forum) if you wanted to see about him creating an Intel native package...

Henry
scott02467
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple announced back in February that they would not be including a Java runtime in OS X Lion. That right there puts a crimp in running DVArchive.

That being said though they did release today a version of their Java runtime 10.6.8 released about a week ago with the version numbers changed to be seen as 10.7 by Lion so it installs correctly. If you go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1421 you'll get the download page for "Java for OS X Lion".

Once that's installed you'd need to update the Terminal command line to "Current" instead of "1.4.2".

That being said and jumping over some Apple root limitatons, I get it all to run without errors showing in the Console window EXCEPT it then crashes with an error of "kLSNoRosettaEnvironmentErr". Since Rosetta is the PowerPC compatibility package now left out of Lion, it seems the DVArchive jar makes calls that Lion recognises as outdated Rosetta ones. So just getting Java and running the command lion isn't going to cut it...someone will need to bury further down to scrub out the Rosetta calls.

Cheers,
Scott
mschmitt
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.planetreplay.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16037

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: