Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

status of WiRNS/ Laho-Perc after the ReplayTV continuance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: status of WiRNS/ Laho-Perc after the ReplayTV continuance Reply with quote

I figured I should post on the state of WiRNS/LaHo/PERC after ReplayTV's big announcement about keep the guide alive.

There's no question this is good news for everyone. I think the powers-that-be at DNNA realized that the devices are far from obsolete and much more useful than they expected.

Based on my discussions with folks at DNNA, I don't think this was a false alarm. The plan really was to shut everything down.. DNNA deserves credit for correcting a mistake and if they decide to do it again, I'm sure they will do a better job.

Everyone on the AVS and PlanetReplay forums knew about WiRNS and LaHo. That is a tiny percentage of ReplayTV owners. The majority knew of no workable solution. Heck, many of those folks may already be suffering with cable/satellite box PVRs!

The DNNA announcement was vague about the future. I suspect if there is a change, it will be *much* smoother and hopefully inform non-enthusiasts about their options. Certainly we, the community, are more prepared.

What does this mean for WiRNS? I think I can speak for them (they reviewed this email), but probably nothing. Many were using WiRNS before and even more are using it now. I don't see that changing.

What does this mean for LaHo/PERC? It's too early to say. I need to discuss more with my team, but I suspect we'll continue to improve the LaHo/Perc application so if DNNA changes their mind again, we'll be ready. Of course we have the luxury of time now..... something my wife and kids will appreciate. These past 6 weeks have been a little busy.

I don't think I'm going to add the LaHo payment system this weekend as I was planning. Henry, Ryan and Glenn may work on tweaking LaHo this weekend, or like me may take a short breather. If any BETA testers want to continue using LaHo, go for it. I'll bump any expiration that come up next week if I see people connecting.

So this is really a victory for everyone. Great job all around!

The Laho/Perc team
Robert and the rest of the Laho Team: Chris, Henry, Ryan, Glenn

**UPDATE**
We had a nice break and have resumed development of the LaHo ReplayTV service at PERC Data. The beta is available again and existing beta users have had their accounts exteneded.

We've made some code tweaks and moved the LaHo server to a new host (Amazon to Rackspace in case anyone cares) and performance is much better. The 70 station recommendation has been lifted.

Last edited by rmeden on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
jstnbrg
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of DNNA continuing service, I have a question about whether it makes sense to switch to Schedules Direct. I have a 5516 and a 5508, and I'm currently paying about $7/month for my service. Obviously Schedules Direct is much cheaper, but will I have to keep paying my subscription fee to DNNA to keep my machines activated? In other words, if I cancel my subscription to DNNA, will they deactivate my RTVs?
brobin111
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaHo will provide the activation as well as WiRNS if you go that route.
ranster
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: re: status of WiRNS/Laho-Perc after the ReplayTV continuance Reply with quote

jstnbrg wrote:
In light of DNNA continuing service, I have a question about whether it makes sense to switch to Schedules Direct. I have a 5516 and a 5508, and I'm currently paying about $7/month for my service. Obviously Schedules Direct is much cheaper, but will I have to keep paying my subscription fee to DNNA to keep my machines activated? In other words, if I cancel my subscription to DNNA, will they deactivate my RTVs?

It makes mucho sense for me since I have three 5000 series boxes that were monthly, hence $21/month. That's 3 x the multi unit discount that I got with a lifetime box added in. So $20/year instead of $21/month.

My boxes won't phone home again so there's no way for DNNA to touch them. No software update, no encryption key change, no nothin'. As long as they don't try to strong arm the WiRNS types to change the software to make it quit authenticating boxes, no worries.

One positive from the whole fiasco: I got hold of a new lifetime service 5040 off ebay during the time the sky was falling and people were unloading 'em. Got it for $41.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**UPDATE**
We had a nice break and have resumed development of the LaHo ReplayTV service at PERC Data. The beta is available again and existing beta users have had their accounts exteneded.

We've made some code tweaks and moved the LaHo server to a new host (Amazon to Rackspace in case anyone cares) and performance is much better. The 70 station recommendation has been lifted.
Tech Apprentice
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reverted my main Replay to DNNA. Now I'm trying to connect my spare Replay to Anywhere USA and it's not working. Did you take the phone server off-line already? I think you should keep it up until Aug 8th, since that's when LaHo's last update should run out. (I think)

Anyway, how do we get the old phone numbers back? Do I have to go through DSL again? I hate that...

edit: I also never got a notice Email from Perc, so chances are there are still people who went through this and don't know things have changed again...
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 972-291 number should be working... I connected last night. I sugest you try again. We were moving the server around last night.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're the one connecting right now, you're actually attempting to contact ReplayTV's servers (normally blocked from the dialup modem)

Reboot your ReplayTV to clear your cache.

Also I don't have any record of that serial number. Be sure you add it to your PERC account!

I just tested the dialup and my 3k connected just fine.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi couldnt find the laho thread so ill post here that its up and running on my lan. after waiting awhile for any tweeks to be made after the last try that didnt work. the only problem this time was i had to leave out the three digit service key at the end of the serial number where u register it. took about 5 min. dan

Last edited by srfrdan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tech Apprentice
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
After about the sixth try, it worked! Your server must have been too busy before. It worked when I connected at about 4 PM central. It took over an hour and a half to download the DNNA numbers, I think it's because that harddrive is turning sour. My main Replay never takes that long.

And I did register its serial. I can send it to you in a PM, if necessary. But if Perc doesn't show it, that may be why I can't add a lineup.
another forum:
[quote="rmeden"][quote="Tech Apprentice"]
But now I can't add a channel lineup on Perc's website, even with javascript on. When I press "Add a new lineup", nothing happens.
[/quote]
Nothing happens? That's pretty strange. We don't do anything more advanced than forms and css at that step. (Javascript is used for the edit lineup page).

First report of this... have you tried another web browser?
What's your account status? Does it report a TMS Error? If so you need to wait a bit.

Robert[/quote]

I use FF3. Perc's website doesn't work right for me, but I don't care now that my Replay's back the way it was. stick out tongue

Thanks for the heads-up, Robert. It's all good now.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
couldnt find the laho thread

Did you look in the LaHo forum?

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: