Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What if my Replay hard drive dies?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffranny
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: What if my Replay hard drive dies? Reply with quote

My husband just set up WIRNS with our ReplayTV 5000 model and the schedules seem to be updating properly.

The thing is, though, even before we switched over I've started noticing a few tiny pixelation episodes that may indicate the hard drive on the Replay is not long for this world.

I've tried searching the forums, but my poor little brain can't figure out if any of the posts answer my question, so here it is:

Will WIRNs work with some other type of DVR? An un-tethered TiVo, something from Hauppauge? Or what? Having the schedules really won't help much if we have nothing to record on.

We currently have digital (but not HD) cable -- and our internet service -- from Comcast, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any suggestions.
engfant
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are replacement hard drives available with the software installed ahead of time. I have one (although it's been 3years or so) but I had no problems with it so far.

The thing I like about the WiRNS is you can download all your replay shows onto the PC and then delete the shows off the replay to free up space. You can then select the PC storage in the replay menu and play the shows from the PC! It's crazy!
ffranny
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="engfant"]There are replacement hard drives available with the software installed ahead of time. I have one (although it's been 3years or so) but I had no problems with it so far.[/quote]

Thanks, engfant -- where would I find one of those? How much do they cost?
ffranny
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ffranny"][quote="engfant"]There are replacement hard drives available with the software installed ahead of time. I have one (although it's been 3years or so) but I had no problems with it so far.[/quote]

Thanks, engfant -- where would I find one of those? How much do they cost?[/quote]

Never mind -- I just Googled it, which I should have done in the first place. Duh.
engfant
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone is keeping up with that service.
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Before You Blame the HDD... Reply with quote

ffranny wrote:
My husband just set up WIRNS with our ReplayTV 5000 model...

...even before we switched over I've started noticing a few tiny pixelation episodes that may indicate the hard drive on the Replay is not long for this world...

...Will WIRNs work with some other type of DVR?

WiRNS, and DVArchive, are specifically for ReplayTVs, only.

For LOTs of useful ReplayTV information, visit:

The ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site

Before you pull your HDD, you want to check / tighten the screws on the motherboard and power supply and check / reset the power cable between the motherboard and the power supply. All detailed at the LINK above.

More info and PICTURES at:

Mikeyboy's ReplayTV and Showstopper Parts and Service

Good Luck!
ffranny
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Before You Blame the HDD... Reply with quote

Thanks! That's very helpful!

TakeTheActive wrote:
WiRNS, and DVArchive, are specifically for ReplayTVs, only.

For LOTs of useful ReplayTV information, visit:

The ReplayTV DIY Information/Repair/Upgrade Site

Before you pull your HDD, you want to check / tighten the screws on the motherboard and power supply and check / reset the power cable between the motherboard and the power supply. All detailed at the LINK above.

More info and PICTURES at:

Mikeyboy's ReplayTV and Showstopper Parts and Service

Good Luck! :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Other PVRs All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: