Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVArchive "loses" the .ndx file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: DVArchive "loses" the .ndx file Reply with quote

Shows that were previously downloaded to DVArchive are not loaded because the program cannot find the .ndx (and sometimes the .xml) file, so the show is not loaded.

I keep having to delete shows I have recorded and subsequently transferred to the computer hard drive, only to have DVA lose the file.

question Where do these files go, anyway? Can I take other .ndx or .xml files, rename them and have everything work properly? Is there some other recovery prospect? Why do they get lost?question

Thanks!
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: DVArchive "loses" the .ndx file Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
Shows that were previously downloaded to DVArchive are not loaded because the program cannot find the .ndx (and sometimes the .xml) file, so the show is not loaded...

DVArchive is *SUPER* reliable!

If it originally downloaded a show to your PC from a ReplayTV, *ALL* of the files *WERE* there when the download completed.

pwreimers wrote:
...question Where do these files go, anyway? ...Why do they get lost?question

Use Windows Explorer SEARCH on 'Local Harddrives' and see if you can find them. If they're 'GONE', it has *NOTHING* to do with DVArchive.

pwreimers wrote:
...Can I take other .ndx or .xml files, rename them and have everything work properly? Is there some other recovery prospect?

No.
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been my experience that DVArchive is quite reliable.

I am not looking at DVA for an explanation for what I observe on my pc: there are times when I close DVArchive (using file->quit), and either reboot the pc or reopen DVArchive. Subsequently, shows that were loaded before are not loaded due the the .ndx file getting "lost" in pc-limboland.

I am suspicious something is wrong in the pc, actually. I just cannot figure what to look for and was seeking help. Excuse me for asking...I know I have low post count and am lowly in knowledge.

Yes, I used Windows Explorer SEARCH to find the 'missing' files.

Thanks.
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Hide-N-Seek... Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
...Excuse me for asking...I know I have low post count and am lowly in knowledge...

Please RE-READ my Sig Line MORE CLOSELY.

pwreimers wrote:
...there are times when I close DVArchive (using file->quit), and either reboot the pc or reopen DVArchive. Subsequently, shows that were loaded before are not loaded due the the .ndx file getting "lost" in pc-limboland.

I am suspicious something is wrong in the pc, actually. I just cannot figure what to look for and was seeking help.

Yes, I used Windows Explorer SEARCH to find the 'missing' files...

Did you ever find any?

Some other thoughts:
  1. How many PATHS do you have defined at:
    File -> DVArchive Properties -> Storage -> Local Guide Paths?
  2. VERIFY that all FOUR files (EVT, MPG, NDX, XML) are there *IMMEDIATELY* after the DVArchive download (IME, they *HAVE* to be or DVA wouldn't report a SUCCESSFUL DOWNLOAD). [WAG]
  3. CHECK the Windows Explorer RECYCLE BIN *DAILY* for the missing files. [WAG]
  4. CHECK the Windows Event Logs *DAILY* for the missing files. [WAG]
  5. Install DVArchive on ANOTHER PC and see what happens.

pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has been a while, but I did discover WHY DVArchive "loses" these files...well, to be accurate I found out WHEN.

For whatever reason, after a SYSTEM RESTORE operation, some files are not maintained... the .xml and .ndx files being among the files that are "lost" and DVArchive cannot load the affected shows...

Regards,
Pete
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: I Find It Difficult to Put the Blame on Microsoft... Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
...For whatever reason, after a SYSTEM RESTORE operation, some files are not maintained... the .xml and .ndx files being among the files that are "lost" and DVArchive cannot load the affected shows...

Although all of my experience is with Win2K (and earlier) and GoBack, I find it difficult to put the blame on WinXP (and later) SYSTEM RESTORE.

Microsoft LINKs:
  • System Restore: Frequently Asked Questions

• What is System Restore?

• What Types of Files Does System Restore Change?
    Microsoft Support wrote:
    System Restore can make changes to Windows system files, registry settings, and programs installed on your computer. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. Personal files, such as documents, e‑mail, photos, and music files, are not changed.

For example, if you download a personal file, such as a photo from a digital camera, on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, the photo will still be on your computer.

However, if you install a photo viewing program on a Friday and then restore your computer to the state it was in two days earlier on Wednesday, System Restore will uninstall the program, and you won't be able to use that program to view photos.

• TBD...
I'll keep reading though...
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with TTA, system restore should not remove files. However, it might change some registry information that DVA is using such that DVA decides that it needs to get rid of those files...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: WAG? False Hopes?? WinXP (or later) Volunteers??? Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
I agree with TTA, system restore should not remove PERSONAL files...

SYSTEM files - Yes; PERSONAL files - No.

hdonzis wrote:
...However, it might change some registry information that DVA is using such that DVA decides that it needs to get rid of those files...

I dunno Henry. Gerry *ALWAYS* made a point of stating that DVArchive was "OS-non-specific".

Granted, until someone else besides pwreimers:
  1. Creates a WinXP (or later) 'Test Environment'
  2. Creates a RESTORE point
  3. Downloads a show or two via DVArchive (might be interesting to run a subsequent experiment with WiRNS)
  4. Verifies the existence of the 4 requisite files per show
  5. Executes a SYSTEM RESTORE to the RESTORE point from #2
  6. Verifies the disappearance of 1-3 of the previous 4 requisite files
...we can't really say for sure, but...

Tomorrow, if we DON'T have the forecast ~12-18" of snow to shovel, I'll try to remember to launch REGEDIT on my Win2K Pro DVArchive Server and see what I can find.

Last edited by TakeTheActive on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note that I remember regarding the files: I believe they were all related to recently-created (this same morning) shows.

I am in the process of transferring all my VHS tapes. I transferred them overnight, all from yesterday's recordings.

I had a snag and wanted to restore to yesterdays created restore point. The shows that were transferred overnight were the shows that did not load properly. Upon 'undoing' the last restore point, all the shows loaded okay.

I can't say I want to test the theory, but I just might...

Regards,
Pete
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: WAG? False Hopes?? WinXP (or later) Volunteers??? Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
...However, it might change some registry information that DVA is using such that DVA decides that it needs to get rid of those files...

I dunno Henry. Gerry *ALWAYS* made a point of stating that DVArchive was "OS-non-specific".

Gerry can't control how Java works on Windows! That is under the control of the Java VM itself. And, it is OS specific how Java stores application preferences. Grant it, DVA stores its own personal preferences in its own XML files, but Java is still doing some behind the scenes stuff. If you ask Java to store stuff for you, then it uses its own OS specific way of doing it...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WAG? False Hopes?? WinXP (or later) Volunteers??? Reply with quote

TakeTheActive wrote:
Granted, until someone else besides pwreimers:
  1. Creates a WinXP (or later) 'Test Environment'
  2. Creates a RESTORE point
  3. Downloads a show or two via DVArchive (might be interesting to run a subsequent experiment with WiRNS)
  4. Verifies the existence of the 4 requisite files per show
  5. Executes a SYSTEM RESTORE to the RESTORE point from #2
  6. Verifies the disappearance of 1-3 of the previous 4 requisite files
...we can't really say for sure, but...

Well, I've certainly had to use restore points before, as I am sure have several users out there, and I've never lost ANY files at all, including DVA files...

Now, whether I had downloaded shows between restore points, I can't say for sure. But, since DVA gives an immediate warning message when it loads if any of the requisite files are missing, you'd think that others would have noticed this...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwreimers wrote:
I had a snag and wanted to restore to yesterdays created restore point. The shows that were transferred overnight were the shows that did not load properly. Upon 'undoing' the last restore point, all the shows loaded okay.

One would have to wonder where the XML and NDX files went after the restore such that they could come back after undoing!

It's certainly possible that Windows System Restore thinks that those XML and NDX files are system files (certainly possible for XML, however, NDX appears to be some kind of database file extension). I wouldn't think that Windows would be messing with XML files at all! They are certainly all over the place!

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: lost .ndx files on entire local guide for dva Reply with quote

hi relating to this thread i just lost all the .ndx files i had on my back up hd for my dva local guide. i rebooted my computer to fix a media center problem and thats fixed but when i reloaded the local guide dva gave me the bad news. any way to restore these without starting over. thanx dan
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I have discovered that the I must create a complete copy of all my .ndx, even the .xml, files before I do a 'system restore.' If I fail to do that, recent shows do not get loaded the next time I run DVArchive.

Did you do a 'system restore?'
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: lost .ndx files on entire local guide for dva Reply with quote

srfrdan wrote:
hi relating to this thread i just lost all the .ndx files i had on my back up hd for my dva local guide. i rebooted my computer to fix a media center problem and thats fixed but when i reloaded the local guide dva gave me the bad news. any way to restore these without starting over. thanx dan

If it turns out that you really do need to recreate the .ndx files, RTV 5K Tools can do that for you...

Henry
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: lost .ndx files on entire local guide for dva Reply with quote

hi and thanx for the quick responses guys. i could not do a restore because i had to completely remove the update for windows messenger that gradually freeses up media center. that update could not be removed.so a complete os reboot was rqed. making sure tha update did not reinstall. ill try the 5k tool thing and if i need help with that "ill be back". thanx again dan stick out tongue
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: lost .ndx files on entire local guide for dva Reply with quote

hello again. henry i downloaded the rtv tools. ok im going to need an example a lot better than the one there to do the rtvedit. please assume i know nothing about writing command line scripts. i dont. no hurry and in laymans terms. thanx dan
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're assuming I'm some kind of RTV 5K Tools expert!

I've only used it a couple of times to make DVDs. Did you read the instructions in rtvtools.txt? It has examples, which I followed exactly to make DVDs. It says:

Quote:
RTVEDIT: if no associated ndx is found for the given mpg, create a 5k ndx

Quote:
RTVEDIT:

* RTVEDIT will now re-build a .ndx corresponding to the original .mpg if no
.ndx is found. It will *assume* the mpg is a RTV5K stream. There is no
check for this and results on a non-RTV5K stream are unpredictable (read
"bad"). An .ndx is required for editing the stream, so once the .ndx is
re-generated, you can run RTVEDIT on the fileset as normal.

First, you have to make an edit script. It gives a very nice example in the text file:

Quote:
evtdump "Stargate SG-1 - Revisions.evt" > evt.txt

Now you're ready to run rtvedit. Again, it gives a very nice example:

Quote:
rtvedit evt.txt

Here's how it says that it works:

Quote:
RTVEDIT uses an edit script for input and edits one or more source MPEG-2
files to produce a new MPEG-2 file with the edits performed.

So, after running the example above it says:

Quote:
If the
new files look good, simply delete the originals and rename the new files to
their original names. DVArchive will then serve out the edited files to your
RTV.

And that's all there is to it! Although, I certainly wouldn't recommend your deleting the original files. I would move them somewhere else and then feed the new files to DVArchive. I wouldn't be surprised if the new files have all the commercial removed, which might also remove some of the show if it commercial skip wasn't quite right. It gives an example of how to skip using evtdump so that you produce the .ndx file for the unedited show...

Henry
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Super! Reply with quote

Thanks Henry!

I have not used the 5ktools, and I had no idea what they could do. Since this problem appears to be peculiar to my pc/experience, and the whole rigmarole of recovering the DVArchive shows from a system restore is painful, I now have another tool to use, which I hope to be more smooth once I figure it out.

Thanks for the 'run-down' on how using the tool for this circumstance. Odds are, those tools are useful for other purposes!

Regards,
Pete
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: DVArchive "loses" the .ndx file Reply with quote

hello! back again-after much trial and error i could not get the rtv tools program to function. however-after looking at the other threads i saw(remembered) tbat the revue program could also edit files. i thought that was to hard for me to deal with but now i was desperate. i had that on my computer as another video streamer. i opened it then i clicked "file"and followed the menues and got to rtvedit and clicked that. the computer then prompted me to create a path to the rtv5 tools program. thankfully my basic skills let me do that. bingo! thats it u can run all the rtv tools (including restoring the ndx files) from there without having to type in any command lines. real easy. thanks all on planet replay for help. dan
upthereinthesky
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Missing NDX Files Reply with quote

I can confirm with confidence that a System Restore wipes out NDX files on my WinXP SP3 machine.

On July 3rd, around 8PM, I began receiving two shows, proxied by WiRNS. They were received fine. I checked them out from the physical RTV unit, and they played fine.

Yesterday, July 4th, I had a problem with my network adapter which I couldn't resolve, so I did a System Restore.

Bingo: neither of the shows would play on my TV. Turns out both the NDX files are now missing. No question: wiped out by System Restore. They are not in Recycle Bin. The temp folders, of course, were deleted after the transfer was complete.

Thanks for the help!

Bill
pwreimers
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Missing NDX Files Reply with quote

upthereinthesky wrote:
I can confirm with confidence that a System Restore wipes out NDX files on my WinXP SP3 machine.
Bill

The only recovery I have found yet is to undo the last system recovery, write all .xml and .ndx files to a removable media and then redo the system recovery.

When DVArchive fails to find the files, just transfer them from the media to the expected drive and all will be good.

It seems to only delete .ndx files enclosed by the current date back to the system restore date. If you only want to write those files out to the media, I think you will be fine. The file sizes are small enough that I just write all of them to a cd disc: .ndx .xml .bak and .evt files--the old 'shotgun' approach!!!

Pete
upthereinthesky
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re-Create Missing NDX File Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems to only delete .ndx files enclosed by the current date back to the system restore date.

Yes, Pete, absolutely. Everything else was intact. System Restore only wiped out the newly-created NDX files since the time the Restore Point was created.

Your fix sounds a lot better than mine. I'm wrestling with the RTV Toolkit right now. Never having used it since my RTV hard drive crashed years ago. It's a real learning curve, and the documentation isn't for newbs.

Well, just this minute I checked out one of the problem shows: It works!

This is the procedure I used:
I created a RTV.BAT file with the following two commands:

evtdump "127 Hours-revised.evt" > evt.txt
rtvedit evt.txt

Of course, you can type the commands in. I just wanted to record it for future use. Stored that in the same directory as the copies of the show's remaining files, mpg, evt, xml, all renamed. Also, to avoid path problems, I copied all the relevant RTV Tools to the same directory, (as typing MS-DOS commands is something I haven't had to do for twenty years or so).

Opened a DOS window. Ran rtv.bat. Here's the screen outputs:

E:\RTVTOOLS\TEMP>rtv

E:\RTVTOOLS\TEMP>evtdump "127 Hours-revised.evt" 1>evt.txt

E:\RTVTOOLS\TEMP>rtvedit evt.txt
Can't open file 127 Hours-revised.ndx
Regenerating ndx file...done. Re-run rtvedit.

At this point, I edited out the events in the newly-created evt.txt. Since this show didn't have any commercials, I knew all the times generated were bogus. I saved the edited evt.txt. The new evt.txt has only two lines. It reads:

F127 Hours-revised.mpg
E

I infer from this that I could've skipped the previous steps and just created evt.txt containing the above lines, but once again, the documentation is a little obtuse for a newbie.

Then, following the tip from the previous output, I re-ran rtvedit with the corrected evt.txt:

E:\RTVTOOLS\TEMP>rtvedit evt.txt
Source: 127 Hours-revised.mpg
Target: 127 Hours-revised1.mpg
Time=(000:00.495, 093:57.000) SCR=000:00.495 File=(0000002554, 0051FE5C00)
New Program Time: 093:56.505
Edit Time: 002:50.675

E:\RTVTOOLS\TEMP>

Then, I renamed the resulting NDX file and copied it back to the Local_Guide folder, without messing with the MPEG files at all.

And Voila! It works! I see the two MPEG files are different lengths: by 9 bytes! unibrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: