Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Visit our partner site: ReplayFAQs.com
Back to top page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WiRNS Installation Failure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Before attempting to install WiRNS on my XP machine I installed the .NET framework. Administrative Tools / Services says that Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 is started.

Then I tried installing WiRNS and got the following error message, almost the one that is mentioned on the WiRNS Installation web page:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installer Information

Service ’WiRNS.exe’ (WiRNS.exe) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

[Cancel] [Retry]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The difference between what the web page says and what my error message says it the lack of the [Ignore] button on my error message.

Canceling does indeed cancel the installation. Retrying just brings me back to the same error message.

The WiRNS Installation web page gives three reasons the error message might come up.

The first reason offered is "You are not using an Administrator account. Easy to rectify, but will require you start over." On my machine there is only one user who is listed as "Computer administrator" in User Accounts under the control panel.

The second reason offered is "The WiRNS service was previously installed and is currently running. Not likely, but easy to check under Administrative Tools / Services." This was the first time I ever tried to install WiRNS, and I confirmed that by not finding it in Administrative Tools / Services.

The third reason offered is "A previously installed WiRNS service was configured to use an account other than the Local System Account. Change the Log On account to Local System, then click Retry in the WiRNS install dialog." As I said, this is the first time I've tried to install WiRNS.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks.

Moonguide
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised to see that on XP.

Can you check the Windows Event Viewer under Administrative Tools, there should be an Error message regarding the failed start.

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Is this what you have in mind?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11920
Date: 6/16/2011
Time: 2:54:28 PM
User: ASPIRELAPTOP\Richard Steffens
Computer: ASPIRELAPTOP
Description:
Product: WiRNS -- Error 1920. Service 'WiRNS.exe' (WiRNS.exe) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 30 45 46 33 33 37 37 {0EF3377
0008: 36 2d 41 45 34 34 2d 34 6-AE44-4
0010: 46 42 45 2d 38 42 41 43 FBE-8BAC
0018: 2d 39 38 46 41 43 41 37 -98FACA7
0020: 33 39 39 38 33 7d 39983}

Moonguide
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is. Any chance it was preceded by another error, like a 7030?

With the other issues mentioned today, you may want to download the installer again, it is now an earlier, better-working version that more people have success with.

moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

That was the only error message today.

I just went to download the installer and found it to be the same file name as the one I had already downloaded: Download_WiRNS.2.1.0.0.msi

The only other oddity relates to .NET. I don't recall ever installing the .NET framework, but when I look back at the events in Event Viewer, which go back to 1/18/2011, I find :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11706
Date: 6/14/2011
Time: 3:00:56 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: ASPIRELAPTOP
Description:
Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 -- Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. The Windows installer cannot continue.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 43 42 32 46 37 45 44 {CB2F7ED
0008: 44 2d 39 44 31 46 2d 34 D-9D1F-4
0010: 33 43 31 2d 39 30 46 43 3C1-90FC
0018: 2d 34 46 35 32 45 41 45 -4F52EAE
0020: 31 37 32 41 31 7d 172A1}

These error messages started on 5/18/2011.

When I installed the 4.0 version of the .NET framework this afternoon I didn't give any thought to uninstalling an older version first. I don't know if that matters, but it's more information, anyway.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Moonguide
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, same name, earlier version, so feel free to go ahead and give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?

I hear both sides of the .net install issue. I never uninstall older versions. Some say you should. Some will probably say you should install the 2.0 version if that's what you're targeting (as we are here). You shouldn't have to.

moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Progress!

Downloaded the installer and ran it. I have a green icon in the system tray.

New problem.

Things moved along and I got a browser page that asked if I wanted to import things from Internet Explorer. I use Firefox, and this was a Firefox web page. I said no. The next thing I remember seeing is where things are now. I got a 404 Not Found error page. Here's the URL and text of it:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://192.168.0.4/manage/ConfigureReplays

Not Found

The requested URL /manage/ConfigureReplays was not found on this server.

Even more annoying is that all my Firefox bookmarks are gone! What happened? Any way to fix it?

There aren't any errors in the Event Viewer. There are two related events, one that says:

Service started successfully.

and another that says:

Product: WiRNS -- Installation completed successfully.

My recollection, now that I look at the WiRNS installation web page is that I wasn't paying attention to the DNS Server IP setting and let it stand as my router's internal IP address. Now that I'm looking at the instructions I see that I should have put in a Comcast DNS server IP address. But, I don't see how to fix it. Every time I try to select some configuration option from the context menu of the WiRNS system tray icon I get another 404 page. How do I fix this one?

I shut down the WiRNS and started it back up. Now I have a command prompt window that looks like it's in the middle of something it can't finish. The last line says:

[6/16/2011 22:24:55] Ready to intercept/proxy ReplayTV requests

I think I'll just leave everything as it is right now and check back in the morning.

Thanks again for sticking with me.

Moonguide
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

moonguide wrote:
I got a browser page that asked if I wanted to import things from Internet Explorer
I saw that once also, I have no clue what that's about. It seemed to be part of this whole Interactive Services Detection issue. I also see it ask to make Firefox my default browser, which it already is.

Quote:
Even more annoying is that all my Firefox bookmarks are gone!
That is most unfortunate and inexplicable. Any chance you had set up X-marks or the new Sync option in Firefox?

The 404 errors seem to suggest that the server isn't running on http://192.168.0.4, or at least some of the WiRNS plugins didn't load.

What happens if you just browse to http://192.168.0.4 ?

Regardless, WiRNS always starts a Configuration Server, at http://127.0.0.1:8923
Try browsing to that address and you should get to the WiRNS Index page. From the menu you can go to Configuration->WiRNS, check the ip address and update your DNS if you wish.

Quote:
I shut down the WiRNS and started it back up. Now I have a command prompt window that looks like it's in the middle of something it can't finish. The last line says:

[6/16/2011 22:24:55] Ready to intercept/proxy ReplayTV requests

You restarted WiRNS this time as console app, not as a service. That can be a handy way to debug problems. That 'Ready to intercept' line is what you want to see - WiRNS has started successfully.

moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

This morning's frustration: I just spent an hour composing a reply. Once I clicked on Submit, I had to log in again and the composition was gone. So, I'll try again.

Quote:
Quote:
Even more annoying is that all my Firefox bookmarks are gone!
That is most unfortunate and inexplicable. Any chance you had set up X-marks or the new Sync option in Firefox?

The good news is that Firefox is using a new profile in a new folder. I'll fix that later.

Quote:
The 404 errors seem to suggest that the server isn't running on http://192.168.0.4, or at least some of the WiRNS plugins didn't load.

What happens if you just browse to http://192.168.0.4 ?

I'm running Apache on this machine so I get the expected index.php page.

Quote:
Regardless, WiRNS always starts a Configuration Server, at http://127.0.0.1:8923
Try browsing to that address and you should get to the WiRNS Index page. From the menu you can go to Configuration->WiRNS, check the ip address and update your DNS if you wish.

That works. I completed most of the configuration. Now I'm stuck at the Edit Replays step. I choose the Comcast lineup for Lineup 1, click on Update, and watch it return to "None" instead of Comcast.

Ideas?

Thanks, again.

Moonguide
Glenn1963
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

moonguide wrote:
I'm running Apache on this machine so I get the expected index.php page.

You can't have 2 web servers running on port 80 on the same IP address.

The Replays only communicate with WiRNS on port 80, so WiRNS must use port 80 to serve guide data. Your best bet would be to bind a second ip address to the NIC and use that as your WiRNS ip.

Quote:
Now I'm stuck at the Edit Replays step. I choose the Comcast lineup for Lineup 1, click on Update, and watch it return to "None" instead of Comcast
Probably time to check the logs... wirns.log, wirns.debug.log, wirns.sql.log may contain useful info.

sbaeder
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Glenn1963 wrote:
moonguide wrote:
Now I'm stuck at the Edit Replays step. I choose the Comcast lineup for Lineup 1, click on Update, and watch it return to "None" instead of Comcast
Probably time to check the logs... wirns.log, wirns.debug.log, wirns.sql.log may contain useful info.

I had this too, and after a reboot, it cleared up.
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Quote:
You can't have 2 web servers running on port 80 on the same IP address.

The Replays only communicate with WiRNS on port 80, so WiRNS must use port 80 to serve guide data. Your best bet would be to bind a second ip address to the NIC and use that as your WiRNS ip.

OK. I only use Apache occasionally on this machine, so I changed it from automatic to manual start on startup.

Quote:
Glenn1963 wrote:
moonguide wrote:

I had this too, and after a reboot, it cleared up.

Indeed it cleared it up for me, too. After rebooting, Firefox returned to the old profile, too.

When I edit the page for my Replay 4000 I see that Lineup on is set to Comcast.

Next problem:

When I go to Tools > Current Channel Guide I see a channel guide for a few seconds, and then I get an error page:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

So, while the issue has changed, I'll still move on to an examination of the above mentioned logs.

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Well, rebooting seems to be a worthwhile thing to do. I now have a working channel guide.

Now to spend some time figuring how to make good use of WiRNS.

Thanks again for all the help.

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

I had time yesterday afternoon to experiment with WiRNS. I see that I can use the remote control page to do what my ReplayTV remote does, and that said page works.

I configured my WiRNS channel lineup to match what my level of Comcast service provides, and also created a Favorites set.

Using the Favorites set I "scheduled" shows to record for the coming week. I recall seeing a message that said the schedule would be sent to my ReplayTV at some point in the future. I checked back last evening but none of the recording events were in the ReplayTV list. I also checked this morning, and they were not there.

Does this mean that I've skipped a step somewhere during the installation? Or is there something I need to do to force the schedule to go from WiRNS to my ReplayTV?

Moonguide
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

moonguide wrote:
Using the Favorites set I "scheduled" shows to record for the coming week. I recall seeing a message that said the schedule would be sent to my ReplayTV at some point in the future. I checked back last evening but none of the recording events were in the ReplayTV list. I also checked this morning, and they were not there.

Does this mean that I've skipped a step somewhere during the installation? Or is there something I need to do to force the schedule to go from WiRNS to my ReplayTV?

Glenn will be THRILLED that you are using Favorites! unibrow

So, what model RTV do you have? If you have a 4K, then what you are saying is normal and the skipped step must be having the 4K net connect to WiRNS (which you would see in the WiRNS log, including that it sent the recording schedule changes to the RTV). If it is a 5K, then this shouldn't be happening and you configured the unit model number incorrectly in WiRNS. However, even in that case, when the 5K net connected through WiRNS, it should have received the schedule changes (which would have shown in the log as well)...

So, either way, it seems like maybe your RTV isn't net connecting through WiRNS, so maybe you didn't configure your RTV correctly...

Oh, also if your RTV is net connecting through WiRNS, then its last net connect date/time will show on the WiRNS index page. So, you can check there to see if the RTV has net connected since you scheduled the changes...

Henry
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, what model RTV do you have? If you have a 4K, then what you are saying is normal and the skipped step must be having the 4K net connect to WiRNS (which you would see in the WiRNS log, including that it sent the recording schedule changes to the RTV).

A 4k. I think it was a 4080, but don't remember. I bought it through craigslist and had to replace the hard drive. I put in a 160GB drive.

Quote:
So, either way, it seems like maybe your RTV isn't net connecting through WiRNS, so maybe you didn't configure your RTV correctly...

It sounds like the step I skipped was configuring the RTV. I'll go back and do that.

Thanks!

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

I probably shouldn't have tried this but...

I decided that I should make the IP addresses on both my WiRNS machine and my RTV static.

When I tried to change the IP address using the WiRNS Configuration it only partially succeeded. Now, I can't get to the monitor except through http://127.0.0.1:8923/. From there I can go to http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/ConfigureWirns and see that the WiRNS IP is 192.168.0.240. But when I look at http://127.0.0.1:8923/manage/index the displayed IP address for the WiRNS machine is still 192.168.0.4, which was the DHCP assigned address of the machine.

Where do I make the change so it works?
(RTV is 4K model)

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

Found it. I didn't realize I needed to change the configuration of the WiRNS replay.

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure Reply with quote

I changed the IP address in my RTV and tried connecting to WiRNS. I got as far as the Connecting ot ReplayTV Service screen where it says Getting TV Channels...

It said it should take 5 minutes. 10 minutes later that screen hadn't changed, so I clicked the Select button to "Cancel connection" and saw Stopping... on the screen. It's been that way for several minutes. If I power down the RTV from the remote and then power it back up I'm still at that screen. Is the only solution at this point to pull the plug, wait a few minutes for the capacitors to discharge, and then plug it back in?

Moonguide
moonguide
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: WiRNS Installation Failure - Resolved Reply with quote

I more or less started over with my WiRNS installation, applying all I had learned. I realized that my laptop was not going to be a practical machine on which to run WiRNS but I don't have another Windows machine available. On the other hand, I do have VirtualBox on my Linux desktop and was able to install WiRNS on a Virtual Win2k machine with bridged networking so I can have a unique static IP address.

To make a log story short, I loaded .NET version 2(whatever) and installed WiRNS. I entered my zip code and let WiRNS use the existing channel service for now (my free week with Schedules Direct is up). Then I went back to my RTV 4k, changed the network settings, told it to connect and watched to see that a program I told WiRNS to record showed up on the RTV.

For other fumblers I recommend making sure you have your computer and your RTV box set to static IPs before starting the installation.

I'm happy for the next month. I'm hopeful the unknown regarding cryptographic time setting will be resolved. Once that is done I'll pay for my Schedules Direct subscription and all will be well ( I hope).

Moonguide
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> WiRNS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: