Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ghost in the replay?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooby42
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Ghost in the replay? Reply with quote

About a month ago i finally hooked up my replay to the PACE digital converter provided by Comcast. I used the Gray cable for a direct connection. Things were working fine. About a week or two ago I began to notice that the channel was changing on recorded shows. I have noticed this with shows 1 hour or longer. Initially during playback I see the channel number randomly appearing on the screen and then about 30-40 minutes into the show, new channel numbers appear proceeded by the channel changing on the recorded show. I am not sure if there is a pattern to the channel changing, but it does appear that the frequency of channel changing is on the rise. Now almost every show usually ends on a different channel than when it began.

ANybody experiencing this, any help or suggestions on how to exorcise the ghost?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
Space
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the IR blaster on my cable box, so never used the serial cable (which is what I assume the "gray cable" is).

The only thing I can think of (other than some weird bug) is if you have others in the house that might be using the remote to change the channel while the RTV is recording...

Here's a link about troubleshooting serial control:

http://kb.replaytv.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=24

They mention that it only works with DirectTV, so don't know if your box is even supported or not.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gray's cable is an IR blaster cable, not a serial cable. It plugs directly into the cable box instead of putting the IR blaster "bug" on the front of the cable box. And, when the cable is plugged in, then the cable box cannot be controlled by remote controls.

Scooby, did you post this on AVSForum as well? I recall someone somewhere posting a similar situation of having the channel change all by itself. I don't remember there ever being a resolution posted, but you might want to search here and AVSForum to see...

Also, if you want to try using the normal IR blaster instead to see if it makes any difference. I suppose it's possible that it's noise in the Gray's cable, but it seems unlikely. My daughter is using two of them without any problems, as are many other people...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had that same problem with our DTV Pal + receiver attached to a Replay 5,000

I fixed it by puting the DISH remote (Which is the one provided with the DTV-Pal) in a container to insure nobody pushed any buttons by accident.. Including the cats.

Nothing at all wrong with the Replay.
jaydee1
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be CFLs or other IR interference to which the PACE is susceptible: http://www.ecnmag.com/Blogs/2010/04/Older-CFLs-Interfere-with-Cable-TV-Equipment/ .
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all this idea of it being random remote signals is really easy to test! With the Gray's cable plugged into the DTA, see if the DTA responds to the DTA remote at all. If it doesn't respond to the remote at all with the Gray's cable plugged in, then it has to be something other than random remote signals. However, it doesn't mean that it isn't CFL noise or other electrical noise getting into the Gray's cable...

Henry
scooby42
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

yes I posted same request on replayTV, but since it was buried within another post, I tried for its on here.

and

Yes, the pace remote can change the channel with the Gray cable plugged in. Though all of the recordings occur late at night, so no one (or thing??) would be playing with the remote. I guess i will take out batteries of remote and see what happens over the next week.

Thanks again.

Keep those suggestions coming.
srfrdan
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since u didnt say no im going with the pet thing. the cats step on and play with remotes. also they sleep on settop boxes(theyre warm) and if u have buttons on top of the box like the old rca dtv boxes its a problem. dan
scooby42
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not pets 1) the remotes are stored in a drawer and 2) I have 2 rather larger golden retrievers, so they do not sleep (nor fit) on the settop box.
However, I am still experiencing the same problem, though at a much lower frequency.

Still do not know the cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV & Cable Boxes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: