Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVarchive slowly lose connection speed failed export of file

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtomkins
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: DVarchive slowly lose connection speed failed export of file Reply with quote

After having to restore from a computer crash, I have been unable to get DVarchive to export shows from my RTV5504. DVA sees RTV and all shows, I select show to export, it goes to transferring and gets between 5-10% then the transfer speed slowly starts going to 0. Eventually the export fails. After shutting DVA down, neither IE or Firefox will connect to internet so network is getting corrupted/knocked out. Restart of PC resolves network issue. I had DVA working on this machine in past but cannot seem to find the issue. Have tried to sign up for DVArchive forum but cannot get account to be activated. Hoping someone can help me here or give guidance on what to do to narrow down the missing link.

Computer pings to RTV with 0% loss.
RTV and computer have fixed IP address.
DHCP on router disabled and IP address for PC and RTV are reserved
Both PC and RTV are hardwired to router

Hardware:
XP Home SP3
RTV5504 - software ver 530511440
Zyxel Prestige 334 routher

Software:
DVArchive 3.2
Java 1.6.0-17
Net framework 2.0 sp1
AVG 9 antivirus software
MozyHome backup software
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem! My system has become unstable, I have to reboot now multiple times per day, plus dvarchive starts out a download just fine then gets to 5 to 8% and the network completely stops on my system but the network and internet connection still works on other computers in the house.

I see you have mozy. Is that new to you? I installed a livedrive program (another online backup program). However, I'm not sure when the problem occurred because I don't download from the replayTV very day.

One of the crashes I had was so bad that all of my restore points disappeared! So alas I can't go back to last week, I just have to try to figure out what happened. Yes, I uninstalled the livedrive program. No joy...

Judy
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed we have avg 9 in common...
gtomkins
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Still No Joy Reply with quote

Things I have tried:
Passed all the network troubleshooting steps on the DVarchive.org forum
Reinstall XP (4x now)

Back to DVA 3.1 and Java 1.4.2-19

Tried WiRNs and found in their logs that my TCP stack buffer filled up and crashed the network. Got the error "an operation could not be performed on a socket because the system has insufficient buffer space or the queue is full"

Changed the TCPIP.sys from 10 to 100

Installed DVA and tried to connect before installing Mozy

Disabled AVG and firewall

Event viewer doesn't tell me what crashes. Can't figure out how to turn the logs on in DVA to see if that will tell me anything.

When it fails, I lose my network, I can't run task manager(ctrl-alt-del), the ability to safely remove hardware doesn't work. Just trying to give as much information as possible. If there are any logs or scans that I can run that might be beneficial please let me know.

Things yet to try:
Going to try with a different computer through existing network, if that doesn't work I am going to try to connect with different computer and crossover cable directly to the RTV to take the router variable out.

Wish there was a way to just see the RTV as just another hard drive and drag and drop, all this IP stuff is driving me crazy. Let me know if you find any new information. Maybe between the two of us, we can figure it out.

Computer configuration now:
XP home SP2
Prestige 334 router
DVarchive 3.1
Java 1.4.2-19
Net Framework 3.5 (don't know if this matters)
java, javaw all have access through firewall. Is there others that need to be here? Do I need to be sure some ports are open?
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's a lot of work. Since one of the new things I had installed was java-based, I uninstalled those programs and all java versions and re-installed the latest. No joy. It appears to work on my husband's computer. We did one file transfer successfully yesterday. We will do some more today to make sure it is working there.

Recently another program has stopped working correctly. Namely right click on PowerDesk. I found a free replacement product that works (FreeCommander), though, so we aren't dwelling on that. This happened on both of our computers. There have been a flurry of Microsoft updates recently.

My system is XP Media Center Edition with all updates.

Not only does my network connection go away on my computer, horrible things happen on my computer. Like destroying my restore points... And every time various strange things happen like the Task Manager is not able to start and various messages about corrupt files.

I refuse to buy satellite TV because of restrictions, cable is not available. We have an HD Tivo for OTA and it works fine in the one room it's in and the adjacent room, but you have to download programs to watch them. I personally don't care for HD, just fills up my disks faster, but we've found out how to squash them...

We also watch TV on the internet (notebook computer in the kitchen and old desktop in the bedroom also available to the living room).

It may be time for another Tivo... It's not a ReplayTV, but it works. $50 off for the holiday... Ah, whether to buy lifetime or not! We got our money's worth out of the ReplayTVs lifetime. Two of them still working fine.

Judy
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't seem to be java version. One computer works with dvarchive still, two no longer do. All Windows XP. 3 versions of java, and the middle version is the one that works. The symptoms are not quite the same on the two that don't work, but both fail before a transfer finishes.
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it is is spreading. Now none of our computers can download from DVArchive, but none of them show signs of any other illness.
gtomkins
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took home a laptop from work. Installed java 1.41 and DVArchive 2.1. Plugged in network cable to connect to my home router. Downloaded shows from my ReplayTV without touching any settings. ARRRRGH It's gotta be something on my desktop computer that causes the failure. I went back an put java 1.4.1 and DVA 2.1 on my desktop computer still crashes the network. I guess I have a workaround for now with the laptop. My whole goal was to just be able to download shows off to my HDD and burn them to a DVD set. Will still keep working on this until I figure it out or throw the computer out.
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but it only shows up on one of my boot partitions. I had thought it was related to the recent installation of AVG9 (free version), but installing it on my alternate boot partition did not affect the operation there.

On thing I have noticed is that, when I reboot, I get a popup prompt that a program is not responding. The program is named "n". It doesn't show up in the Task Manager's list. This only happens when DVA fails to move a file.

After rebooting, everything runs just fine (same as everyone else), so long as I don't try to get DVArchive to move a file.

I can update DVArchive's TV listing with no problem, so it's not a simple networking problem.

I also noticed the show listing after rebooting was older, so each time I started DVA after having this problem, it deleted the latest show listing and used the next earlier backup, so DVA knows something is wrong but cannot fix it.

I have DVArchive V3.2 on both partitions, but the Java installation isn't the same. With Java 6 Updates 3, 6, 7 & 14, I can move files. With Updates 6 & 17, I get the same problem people are reporting here. Maybe uninstalling 17 will work.

The DVA* XML files in the parent directory of "My Documents" are basically the same (the installation on F: hasn't had the extra cable TV channels I don't subscribe to culled from the listing, so it is much larger).

Did a search for all DVA files and sorted them by name. Nothing obviously different for the two installations.

EDIT ON
I tried playing a show on my RTV using DVArchive and, as one would expect, it failed after less than 3 minutes.

However, I am now playing a show provided by DVArchive to my RTV and its been going for over 18 minutes. There was a few seconds where I thought things were going kablooey, but it may have been recorded that way.
EDIT OFF

Jeff
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

Yes, we get the program n issue as well. I tried to research that but although people get it, no one seems to know what it is.

I can control the replaytv from DVArchive (so long as I don't try to download anything), such as programming, and I can play programs on my computer on the RTV.

It's still a boat anchor if I can no longer download, so a Tivo is almost ordered... I can't believe there are only 3 of us either a) still using dvarchive and replaytvs or b) have this problem.

Judy
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jenicholls wrote:
I can't believe there are only 3 of us either a) still using dvarchive and replaytvs or b) have this problem.

Judy

It is a recent development, so maybe most haven't noticed it. I wish I kept better records of changes I have made, but I only recall installing the new version of AVG in the last week. Apps are added to the Program list in chronological order and the app just above AVG (Quicktime) has been there for weeks.

I think I will have to re-install the OS and apps to get rid of this problem if no one puts the clues together and tells me how to fix it.

Jeff
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... disabling AVG9 solved the problem (I am moving a file from my RTV to DVArchive as I type this and the transfer is working as usual).

Disabling AVG9 has to be done in two tabs.

Select "Run..." in the Windows Start panel and enter MSCONFIG (I am running XP, so the command you need may vary).

Under the Startup tab, uncheck "avgtray".

Under the Services tab, uncheck "AVG Free WatchDog".

Reboot and you should be good to go.
gtomkins
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried turning AVG off through the tray interface, but never disabled it like this. I wonder if you can just turn off in the services to let you download then restart it there or if you have to reboot. Might have to play around with this over Thanksgiving.
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After unchecking the items and exiting the utility, it is clear that you have to reboot to get the system to respond.

I doubt that bringing up the Task Manager and manually killing any AVG processes will work. If it creates its own network stack and leaves it in place, then this approach will fail.

Jeff
gtomkins
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just confirmed Jeff90620's findings on the AVG issue. Followed his instructions and DVArchive completed the download.

Can't believe I didn't think of the AVG connection. I was running Symantec AV before my system crash. Switched to AVG, that was the change in my system.

Thanks for the help.
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to credit Damian over on DVArchive.org whose research of the problem was much more thorough than mine. He is the one who verified that the problem came and went with AVG9.

I have the free version, which means I cannot send an e-mail to Support at AVG. If anyone has the paid version, please let them know.

Jeff
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I checked! I had come to the conclusion that it had to be avg9. We have one more computer that doesn't have avg9, but it's not connected to the network. I was going to move it to a network connection and check it out tomorrow. (Our wireless stopped working and our DSL company owns it so...).

Judy
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I verified that DVArchive works on the last remaining computer in our house that doesn't have AVG9. Not sure how to proceed with that computer, but I think we've decided not to replace this RTV with another Tivo. We have one Tivo, but HD Tivos are incompatible with satellite, and should we decide we need more TV than broadcast TV, satellite is our only option, alas. So we will somehow continue with the ReplayTV until they die (we have two, only one in use at this time). I really want to get a converter box that is controllable by the RTV. Currently we record only one channel most of the time because we have to switch the converter box manually.

DVArchive can be used on a computer running AVG9 for programming and serving programs, just not downloading.

Judy
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I saw you posted on AVSForum as well, you should check out this very long thread as well as this and this thread specifically on converter boxes which work with the RTV. Also, there is this very nice "how to" which lists boxes and codes that work and how to make the RTV work with other boxes...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: EXACT Titled LINKs... Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
Since I saw you posted on AVSForum as well, you should check out this very long thread as well as this and this thread specifically on converter boxes which work with the RTV. Also, there is this very nice "how to" which lists boxes and codes that work and how to make the RTV work with other boxes...

Henry

Henry,

While this particular reply is to YOU, it really isn't just FOR you but for *ALL* folks who follow your LINK 'methodology', for lack of a better term.

IMHO, forums that maintain posts for YEARS and YEARS should be treated more like DATABASES than BLOGS. In that respect, when someone posts a LINK as either a:
  • URL: which becomes BOTH the DESCRIPTION *AND* the DESTINATION and sometimes the DESCRIPTION gets 'modified' with an ellipsis inserted 'somewhere' in the middle.
  • HERE or THIS or TEXT: which gives the reader NO CLUE WHATSOEVER where the LINK is heading to (similar to a TINYURL)
  • SOME RANDOM TEXT: that's NOT the EXACT TITLE
...they're doing a DISSERVICE to the community.

Why?
  1. The BIGGEST / MOST SEVERE problem I've come across is when the Forum Software CRASHES and/or REQUIRES AN INCOMPATIBLE UPDATE and/or CHANGES. Most of us have experienced this on AVS - *MANY* of the 'Archived' LINKs are BROKEN (IIRC, a SEVERE problem occurred during one of the YEARLY Archive backups). *IF* the thread TITLE had been included in the original LINK, the user would then still have the option to do a SEARCH for the TITLE (which now resides at a different URL).
  2. My second reason is that maybe I already KNOW about that LINK's content. But I don't readily memorize URLs as well as I do TITLEs.
  3. Finally, it consumes resources ALL OVER for a user to CLICK on a LINK only to discover that "I already read that!" and CANCEL.
So, to EVERYONE that currently DOESN'T use the EXACT TITLE in their LINKs, *PLEASE* consider doing it.

I use Firefox with the Extension 'CoLT' which, after a RIGHT CLICK, gives me multiple CUSTOMIZABLE formats in which to create my LINK.

Please, at least take a look at other options and consider the future benefits of an EXACT TITLED LINK.

Thanks!
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Beware of Avast Reply with quote

If you have the AVG9 problem and think Avast will solve your problems AND you have Tivo Desktop, DON'T! Avast managed to kill lots more than just Tivo Desktop so they woke up and the newest release may be fixed, but it will still take my husband hours if not days to get functional again. Restore did not work (tried but failed). Recovering the files Avast put somewhere didn't succeed in making Tivo Desktop work.

Re AVG9 and DVArchive, I also was unable to restore because the chaos that AVG9 and DVArchive caused somehow made all my restore points disappear.

We're running Avast on our notebook, which is where we now have to download from the ReplayTV, and it seems fine for now, but beware.

Judy
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally decided I had time to try to cripple my computer again --

AVG9.07 with Resident Shield and LinkScanner disabled does work for me as well. I don't have time for permutations to see if turning on one or more of those will also work. At some point a release may fix the problems...

Judy
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just discovered that playing a video on VLC can initiate the network problem if the show is coming from the ReplayTV. Up til now, everyone who had commented said that the problem only occurred when copying or moving the show to DVArchive, but not when streaming to a player.

At the time, I was on Yahoo Chat and had my e-mail and browser open.

Jeff
jenicholls
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention you can't stream either. I'm functioning with Link Scanner off and Resident Shield disabled. Easy to do, hopefully not too dangerous.
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your threshold for "not too dangerous". I was warned of a dangerous link just last night, but it only happens once every 6-8 weeks. YMMV
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: AVG now allows comments by Free users. Reply with quote

AVG now allows comments by users of the Free version in their forums, even though we still cannot contact Technical Support directly.

I have reported this problem there and posted a link back here. Only time will tell if that provides a solution.

Jeff
Jeff90620
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that AVG updated the program as well as the database, so I checked it out.

I watched a half hour show with no problem, so I'm guessing the problem has been fixed.

Jeff
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if this helps or not..... But I've seen the same thing with downloads from web sites and other Windows activities.

So the question comes.. If you download a gig-a-bit file from some www..com does that slow down and fail the same way or not?

If so.. It could be your TCP/IP settings... As I recall I touched up a setting or two many computers ago and it improved things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: