Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Showstopper / 2000 / 3000 Network Protocols

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R2.0
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Showstopper / 2000 / 3000 Network Protocols Reply with quote

How do the early Replay models connect to the internet via modem? I assume they use TCP/IP - or is that a bad assumption? And do they request an IP address via DHCP, or does the remote modem just assign one? I'm looking at experimenting with having my 3000 dial into my Windows 2000 box, and would like to get some basic info before I start.

Thanks
R2.0
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The protocol is in fact TCP/IP, sorry, I can't remember the answer on the IP address though, been too long since I looked at any of that.

IIRC, there is a problem with the RTV's using windows boxes as a dial-up bridge/host - I talked to j.m. about this once and it was something like the password was too long for windows to handle.

There might be more hints in j.m.'s Freesco tutorial:
http://jm-rtv.zapto.org/
Bigjohn
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truncating of the http request, if I recall...

Value hosting, Personal service
R2.0
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of moot now anyway - I actually looked at my machine and it doesn't have a built-in modem angry

Oh well - anyone got a cheap old Thinkpad they'd like to part with?
naughticl
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got one that won't boot up, but if it's parts you're looking for, I'd say we could make an arrangement.
rmeden
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll also need two phone lines and/or a phone line simulator. The Replay modem doesn't have the ability to connect in leased-line mode.
R2.0
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmeden wrote:
you'll also need two phone lines and/or a phone line simulator. The Replay modem doesn't have the ability to connect in leased-line mode.

The 2 lines is no problem - I installed a 56 block at the service entrance and split off each pair. Right now they are wired together but that is fixed by cutting 2 jumpers. As for the phone sim, I read that one isn't needed if the proper settings in Freesco are used.
boekjar
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Vonage for a brief time (came with a rebate to make a free LinkSys Phone Adapter with 2 Ports for Voice-ove-IP). But I've basically not used it since then.

I've been messing with FreeSCO for about a month, trying different things, with no success... Has anybody ever thought about or tried configuring these LinkSys PAP2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_PAP2) devices to answer the ReplayTV, then connect it to the network? Or do these things require some VoIP service to drive them? I'm just starting to look into it. But if somebody's already proved it to not work, then I won't bother.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if you read my recent experiences with installing FreeSCO here and here?

I was playing with trying to get my 3K to dial into a router with dialup and there were two problems I ran into. You either need to be able to disable CHAP (or maybe it was PAP, I can't remember now) authentication or you need to figure out the RTV's login password, and you have to provide the connection with an IP address and DNS address. The router I had was fine about skipping authentication. And, it also could provide an IP address. But, it didn't provide a DNS address, so I couldn't use it...

Henry
boekjar
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, read your other posts about your experiences with FreeSCO. They didn't quite target where my problems were. I think the next step we'll have to take is to try to build a PhoneSim.

Also, about 20 minutes after my previous post, I was thinking to myself in the shower that the idea of using the PAP2 device was not well thought-out.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boekjar wrote:
Yep, read your other posts about your experiences with FreeSCO. They didn't quite target where my problems were. I think the next step we'll have to take is to try to build a PhoneSim.

That just goes to show how much attention I was paying! I was about to post that you're having the same problem as someone else I am posting with, but you ARE that person! I didn't even look at your sig when I replied above! retard

Oh well, I hope you get some kind of response here. I don't know how many people are still using their old-model RTVs with FreeSCO and would check this forum. I think that you might have better luck on AVSForum, but I can't be sure...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: