Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Streaming shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGmer
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Streaming shows Reply with quote

I am running both WiRNS and DVArchive on the same machine. I love the ease of scheduling downloads of new shows with DVA, but WiRNS lets me browse shows on my replays much faster. When browsing replay guides, is it possible to have DVA not show since it is just a copy of WiRNS?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does your question have to do with streaming shows (your subject)?

Which Replay guides do you not want to show? If you are talking about the acutal Replays themselves, that is what DVArchive's purpose is, so it is definitely going to show you the Replay's guides. If you are talking about the local shows, then you would have to configure DVA not to have those paths in its configuration. Although, that would make downloading the shows via DVA a bit tough...

Henry
TakeTheActive
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Viewing Downloaded Shows / ReplayTV Guides on PC via DVA Reply with quote

TheGmer wrote:
I am running both WiRNS and DVArchive on the same machine... ...When browsing replay guides, is it possible to have DVA not show since it is just a copy of WiRNS?

If you're referring to viewing the list of downloaded shows located on your PC from your ReplayTV(s), for each instance of DVArchive, either:
  • DISABLE the Server
  • HIDE all of the shows

TheGmer
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis, I guess steaming shows wasnt the best subject. I was drugged up on nyquil at the time.

TakeTheActive, thanks for the disable the server, that did the trick.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I get it now. You didn't want to see DVA in your Replay's Replay Guide, but you wanted to see WiRNS...

Unfortunately, with so many Replay Guides, the Replay's, WiRNS', and DVA's, and you said that you liked WiRNS because its guide was better, I couldn't tell which one you were trying to get rid of...

Glad that TTA figured it out for you!

By the way, from your Replay's perspective, it doesn't really matter which of the two software Replays they see. WiRNS also has the ability to turn off the server (Configuration->WiRNS: UPNP Server: uncheck the box). So, I guess it would just depend on which one you would like to see in your Replay's Replay Guide, they both should be pretty similar...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Streaming shows Reply with quote

TheGmer wrote:
I love the ease of scheduling downloads of new shows with DVA

Just to comment on this, I don't have any experience with the automatic scheduling of downloading shows from either application, but I manually download shows that I want to save. I find that WiRNS retains more of the show information than DVArchive. At least, that's how it is when I manually download a show. When I manually download a show from DVArchive, I have to pick the channel and category to put the show in, whereas WiRNS retains the show's channel and category. So, I find that all of my DVArchive downloaded shows are all in the Download channel and the Uncategorized category, whereas my WiRNS downloaded shows are in their correct channel and category. The difference is that when I look at the guide of the software Replay (doesn't matter which one), I see all of my DVArchive downloaded shows all lumped together under one channel in the guide whereas I see my WiRNS shows lumped together under their correct channel such that all of my CSI shows, for example, are together in one channel with no other non-CSI shows...

Now, I don't know if DVA's scheduled downloading works better in retaining a show's channel and category, or if you have to tell it which channel and category to download all the shows like the way that the manual show download works. But, I just wanted to point out that it is certainly obvious to me when looking at the software Replay guide that the WiRNS downloaded shows have more of their original Replay properties...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ask.. I know you can check a box "DVA uses alternate port" or some such on WiRNS.. But can you tell me how to configure DVA to use said alt-port?

Just in case.

By the way.. I can enable WiRNS so it downloads. but won't display the shows either in it's guide or to the LAN.. That's easy.. in fact I did it by accident and had to figure out what the )(@#$)@#* I had done (a matter of checking GUIDE in the proper place)

TIA
TheGmer
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try and change to use an alt port. When on a port other than 80, I was not able to download shows from my replays.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option is "DVArchive uses Secondary Web Port" and it means to tell DVArchive to use WiRNS' second web port. It doesn't have anything to do with the DVArchive port configuration and DVArchive can't do much if you use a port other than 80. So, when this box is check marked, WiRNS will tell DVArchive to contact WiRNS using the secondary web port address instead of port 80...

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry.. So what do I do, just fire up DVA as is, nothing special, or what?

Of course, the network I have I do it the easy way.. I run Firefox on this machine with the IP address/manage/index in the proper box.

And I run DVA on this machine

And WiRNS on... A different machine

Which works out dang well cause the other machine is anemic as (Term deleted) and has not the power to run both WiRNS and a browser well.

So I get this machine's browser speed, and full funciton on the old boat anchor.

Though a memory upgrade did improve the boat anchor enough that it can not not only download shows to it's HD.. It can serve 'em back up too
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-D wrote:
Thanks Henry.. So what do I do, just fire up DVA as is, nothing special, or what?

To do what? If you just want to run DVA, then what special would there be?

Henry
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I won't say it's easier to so things with DVA.. But I will say I have been using DVA for years and thus know how to use it.

With WiRNS.. I'm still in learning mode

So scheduling shows, and other "Remote control" operations, might be easier via DVA's well understood interface.

That is, of course, till I finish learning WiRNS... Though with WiRNS.. I'm not sure that will every happen.. Being as there is rather a lot to learn (This is a good thing)

OF course.. I may end up dumping WiRNS for a while.. This is due to my lifestyle.. I'm going Gpsy in about 4 hours and need to park the house near a Wi-Fi node to update the machines.. I may go with the router as the IP and set it up for the Digital converters.. Then I can just manually schedule things as I go. I know the units will let me record "Channels" not in the program guide.. Provided I get the thing controlling the one receiver again (Just now one receiver is controlled by the Replay, the other is not.. This is my fault and I know how to fix it... But I just got tired that day) I'll be fixing that on the way out the door as it were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: