Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too Good? Why does it look like HD (High Definition)??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesd1
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Too Good? Why does it look like HD (High Definition)?? Reply with quote

Everywhere I've read that Showstopper records in SD and not in HD. I've got my 2000 hooked to a HD TV (720 resolution) and DirectTV's HR22 via s-video. I've compared the HD recording on the DirectTV's HD recorder with my old Showstopper and it's hard to tell any difference, they both look HD. I don'tt get it. What's going on here?

James
John-D
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD/SD has more to do with format than picture quality when you get down to it.

If you are looking at a Standard size screen (4x3) or if the picture is pillar boxed (Black bars on either side on a wide screen TV, that's SD

If you are looking at a wide screen TV, and there is no pillar box, and the aspect ratio is proper (That is the folks on the screen did not suddenly gain a hundred pounds) ... That's HD.

The picture quality on Digital TV, (And all Sat TV) is good enough that it can be very very hard for many of us, myself included, to tell the difference save by the format of the picture
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> ReplayTV 2000/3000 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: