Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playback after DVArchive download is monochrome

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Playback after DVArchive download is monochrome Reply with quote

All of my files downloaded/moved from both Replay boxes to my PC using DVArchive playback with monochrome colors (looks like what you'd see in a photo negative) greens are red, reds are green but with a metalic funky look to them. I've never had problems with playback from any other downloaded file.

OS = Xp
Playback using Windows Media Player 9.0
DVArchive 3.2
ReplayTV 4508
ReplayTV5xxx
Wireless Network (no firewalls)

does anyone know why or have suggestions?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVArchive doesn't add anything to the process. The files are just plain binary MPEG-2 video files and DVArchive simply passes them through. I would suspect a problem with WMP 9 and MPEG-2 files. Try using VLC instead from http://www.videolan.org. There are also versions of VLC with commercial skip for playing back the Replay files. I don't know if the latest version of VLC has been built with the commercial skip feature, but you can find version 0.8.6d with commercial skip here...

Henry
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Playback after DVArchive download is monochrome Reply with quote

it's not the playback program being used. I downloaded and used the video lan program you suggested and same results. I tried using other playback programs as well, such as quicktime, and nero with same results.

I then thought it might be from the cable company encrypting certain stations going through the cable box (I have run into in the past where if you use the cable company dvr box you can't take a program and "bring it down" to the pc becaue of encryption) but I've ruled that out because I've even tried to do 5-10 minutes of the news and still get same results and I also have one of the Replay box on a tv that has no cable box.

Very frustrating. It's almost as if the playbacks are black and white and someone tried to add the greens and reds to them only got them backwards.
aa4hg
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are describing sounds like a codec that is not functioning properly.
Other possibilities are to check the set up of your video card, and in a worst case scenario, is your monitor connected well?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have two Replays? Can the second Replay play that same show from the first one with no color problems? Since you downloaded the show to DVArchive, then you should be able to play that show from DVArchive to either of your two Replays. Or, even if you only have one Replay, you should still be able to playback the downloaded show from DVArchive back to the Replay. If those all work OK, it certainly seems like there's nothing left but something with your PC...

Henry
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Playback after DVArchive download is monochrome Reply with quote

The 2 Replay boxes do not see one another. I cannot view a show on one that was recorded on the other (incompatible box versions - one is a 4508 and the other is a 5xxx) - verified on Replays Support page.

The playback using DVArchive gives me the same results (but then again in order to playback using the DVArchive program you need to associate media playback programs with and I am the same for both, before and after download).

I've read also that I should be able to "put the show" that was downloaded back onto my Replay box and I have yet to be able to master that. (Yes, I was trying to check and see if the file was returned to the Replay box {RB}, if it would in fact be "intact" or be missing colors. But as I have said I am having problem getting the file back to the RB.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I understand now. And, the 4500 is the unit you are having problems with? Have you tried downloading a show from the 5000 to see if it has the same problem playing back on the PC?

You cannot put shows back on a Replay, but DVArchive acts just like another network Replay (both 4500 AND 5000), so when DVArchive is running, if you allow the server to run (that both "LEDs" on the bottom right-hand corner are green), then BOTH Replays should see DVArchive as another networked Replay that they can play shows from. So, when DVArchive is running, then your Replay's replay guides should show "This ReplayTV" in the top right-hand corner and you should be able to use the QuickSkip and Instant Replay buttons on your remote control to switch over to viewing DVArchive as a networked ReplayTV (this is all in both your 4500 and 5000 User's Guide). When you select DVArchive for your Replay's replay guide, then you should see the shows that you've downloaded in its guide and you should be able to play them on your Replay (you'll see 5000 downloaded shows on your 5000's view of DVArchive and 4500 downloaded shows on your 4500's view of DVArchive). And, then you can see if playing back the same show that you downloaded has any color problems or not...

Henry

*UPDATE* I re-read your original post and see know that you listed both Replay model code originally and posted that you are having problems with playing the shows downloaded from either model (is that correct?). Again, since DVArchive simply passes through the binary data, I have to go with aa4hg and say that it's something with your PC. It's not likely to be a Codec if it is happening with multiple players (VLC uses its own decoder whereas WMP uses a downloaded decoder). You could try purchasing the Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 decoder for something like $25 bucks if you wanted to try another decoder.

Anyway, try playing back the downloaded shows from DVArchive to each of your Replays. If they playback fine, then the data stored on your PC is fine and something is wrong with the playback there.

Now that I realized that you are saying that you are downloading shows from two different model ReplayTVs and having the same problem, while I understand that DVArchive looks like the common element, I'd really have to go with something with your PC...

You could also download ReplayPC and use it to download a show from either or both of your Replays to your PC and see if you have the same problem playing back the downloaded show. That would eliminate DVArchive as the problem...
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Ok here goes.

I tried doing playback through DVArchive {known as DVA in the rest of this post}. Same results.
I tried using reVue with Elecard (codec), same results.

I was going to try WinReplayPC just to rule out DVA but the site/link is no longer up.

This weekend (or if I can find the time in the morning - I work overnight shift) I'm going to try to connect pc directly to router and see if that makes a difference. (At this point, can't hurt, might help... to eliminate something anyways.)

I'm ashamed to say I've been doing Gui stuff for too many years to remember how to use a program like ReplayPC (though that would also have helped elimante or point the finger directly at DVA).

Guess it'll have to wait until the weekend... if you can think of anything, please all comments and such are welcome. Also, if you'd like a screenshot of what I'm seeing please let me know and I'll find a way to get it to you.

I appreciate the help given so far.

--Elaine

P.S. I've dowloaded video from the net and haven't had any issues with playback... in the last week, so DVA or ReplayTV box issue? The video on the boxes played through the box with out PC involved is fine. <<heavy sigh>>
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get WinReplayPC -- Yay!! Guess what? Yup... downloaded file still has same issue.

Please see previous post for other info.

Again, I'm going to try doing d/l while directly connected to the router instead of wireless to rule that out. (Not today though)
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwysquiet wrote:
I tried doing playback through DVArchive {known as DVA in the rest of this post}. Same results.

OK, I think you're not getting me. I'm NOT saying to playback through DVA. You've explained more than enough times that this doesn't work. I am saying for you to playback your downloaded-to-DVA shows on your Replays.

While you have DVA running, if both "LEDs" are green in the bottom right-hand corner, then when you look at either of your Replay's replay guide, you should see that the top right-hand corner of the Replay's replay guide (on your Replay-connected TV) should say "This ReplayTV" and you should be able to press either the QuickSkip or Instant Replay buttons on your Replay remote control to change your Replay's replay guide to show your DVA's replay guide instead of the Replay's replay guide (you'll see DVA's name in the top right-hand corner of the replay guide on your TV instead of "This ReplayTV"). Once you have selected DVA as the replay guide you are looking at, then you can select the download show that you are having problems with and select to play it. If it plays just fine on your TV through the Replay, then the file on the PC is fine. If it plays back "funny" on the TV through the Replay, then there is a problem with the file on the PC...

Henry
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwysquiet wrote:
I was going to try WinReplayPC just to rule out DVA but the site/link is no longer up.

Did you click on the link I provide above: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=43349&package_id=35728? If SourceForge is down, then that would be something!

Henry
alwysquiet
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link in your above post brings me to ReplayPC not WinReplayPC. Regardless, I did find both. Thank You.

Some good news in all this. The file plays back from PC ---> ReplayBox (viewable on tv) and it looks just fine!!!! (Means not a problem with the file, right?) but a problem wiwth PC or program running on pc for playback, right? Hmmm... now what to do.

Do you think wehere the file is playing back TO the box that it would burn to dvd ok?

So, 1 problem down, 1 to go.

Thanks for your help, Henry!!!!

Elaine
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwysquiet wrote:
The link in your above post brings me to ReplayPC not WinReplayPC. Regardless, I did find both. Thank You.

Yep, that's what I said, ReplayPC. There is a Windows version of ReplayPC on that SouceForge link...

alwysquiet wrote:
Some good news in all this. The file plays back from PC ---> ReplayBox (viewable on tv) and it looks just fine!!!! (Means not a problem with the file, right?) but a problem wiwth PC or program running on pc for playback, right? Hmmm... now what to do.

You'd sure have to think so!

alwysquiet wrote:
Do you think wehere the file is playing back TO the box that it would burn to dvd ok?

Seems like a good idea. If you burn it to DVD and it plays fine, then you'll know for sure...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> DVArchive All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: