Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVSmagic scheduler won't start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tennis03
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: IVSmagic scheduler won't start Reply with quote

Hi,

I've run into a strange IVSmagic problem -- on 2/25/2009 the scheduler service suddenly stopped working. I've been using IVSMagic since Feb 2008 and the ivsm.ini and ivsm-httpd.conf files have the original Feb 2008 dates. I use Windows XP SP3 have lots of Ram and Disk space.

The date of the scheduler failure was obvious, the scheduler log file's last entry was around noon on 2/25/2009. My XP System Restore Point information tells me a Software Distribution Service 3.0 was performed at 2PM on 2/25/2009. No other (even) minor computer changes took place within days of this problem. The scheduler hours are set to 4 and scheduler minutes to 5.

It took me a month to realize the scheduler stopped working. I used IVSmagic's scheduler uninstall and install to no avail. When I use IVSmagic's configure scheduler window's button to start I see the message "scheduler service was successfully sent a start request". However the scheduler service immediately shows it is stopped.

If I use the Windows services section:

Right Mouse button From Comuter -> Manage -> Services -> IVSmagic Scheduler

and issue a start command, I get the following message:

"Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner"

So, I completely uninstalled IVSMagic and reinstalled IVSMagic. I did this by using the IVSmagic uninstall, rebooted the computer and removed the remaining IVSmagic files in the Program Files/IVSmagic folder -- and I didn't touch the registry. I logged in as the Administrator and installed the last IVSmagic beta and the upgraded to version 1.0.0.0. Both before and after the upgrade, while still logged in as the Administrator, I tried to start the scheduler service. It didn't work.

I have no photo partition on the master ReplayTV but I do have a Photo partition on my wife's ReplayTV. I tried making my wife's ReplayTV the master w/o any luck. I'm back to the original master. The last thing I could try is to uninstall IVSmagic on my computer and put it on my wife's. I'd like to solve the scheduler service problem w/o taking that step. I don't believe one can have IVSmagic on two networked computers.

IVSmagic works properly in all other ways, but w/o the scheduler service IVSmagic is less than half the program it is with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
fbreshears
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IVSM will run on multiple computers on the same network as long as each instance has its own IP and virtual replay port. I'm currently running three instances on three computers.
tennis03
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, many thanks for informing me that IVSmagic could be installed on multiple computers. I installed IVSmagic on my wife's computer and the scheduler service works on her computer -- w/o any effort. It worked for the beta version as well as the final version of IVSmagic.

I used InCtrl5 to track the IVSmagic beta install, so I know what changes/additions were made to the registry during the install. However, I'm not optimistic that copying my wife's IVSmagic folder to my computer and verifying the install registry settings to match my registry will make the scheduler service work.

I'm still interested in the fix for error 1053 when starting the scheduler service from the manage "My Computer" sequence I described originally.
jlv
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the left side of the top-level IVSmagic page is a section with 'view logs'. What does the scheduler log say?
tennis03
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jlv,

The scheduler log is empty. (Prior to reinstalling IVSmagic it had many entries, but they stopped on 2/25/2009).

The status log shows many: "scheduler service was successfully sent a start request". These are the result of my many attempts to start the scheduler from the configure scheduler window.

I have compared the registry, folder contents and ivsm.ini and ivsm-httpd.conf files on my wifes' win XP SP3 computer and my win XP SP3 computer and they are consisitent. I still have no idea why the scheduler stopped working on my computer and works on my wifes'.

Thanks for thinking about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: