Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless experts: N bridge? possible? And how does N affectG

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Wireless experts: N bridge? possible? And how does N affectG Reply with quote

Okay, so got a new toy laptop that has an intel N speed network card and was thinking it might be time to upgrade my home network to N from G speed.

Right now I have two belkin G routers one operating in Bridge mode to which the replays send signals around. My network has basically been bulletproof for the last year but was wondering about a speed improvement and less problems with N type speeds (since replays like faster speeds for sharing)

Right now I can watch from room to room wireless but I thought N would be better. So the big question is, if I buy two N belkin routers, can I use one as the main wireless and the other as the bridge, like I can with the G series (fd2304) and if so, will I see a major speed improvement on the laptop and downloading things (not necessarily interreplay transfer) or I have read something about N not being so fast if you connect G devices to it, etc. Along those same lines, is there an easy way to test wireless speeds.

I know I can test internet speeds via speedtest and other sites like that, but is there a local app to test wireless speeds on the network so I could compare before and after? If I run other G devices on the network, am I basically defeating the N network speed improvements anyway?

Please wireless experts let me know. Circuit City has a belkin N series router on sale for 69 bucks. I could buy two if this all works. What do you suggest.

BTW, two replays are in the bedroom and connected to a G router (bridge) and the other router is in the office and connected to 2 other replays and the cable modem.

Please help or send me to a site that can answer the questions.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a N network with replays and Access points.
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ended up with the newest linksys gaming adapter (N bridge) and linksys N wireless router.

Replay works flawlessly and improved speeds for everything. It does make a difference for other stuff too.
corgi1
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the new wireless N network can you stream High quality? Do you see an improvement in wireless range? I have a 70's built two-story house and have deployed 5 Buffalo "G" routers and 2 Belkin routers throughout the house for my Replays and PCs. Have been thinking that a wireless N system might give some speed/reliability improvement. Although I usually don't see a problem unless I am doing several things on the network at once such as: sending a couple shows via IVS, downloading a torrent and also trying to stream a show.

I don't think the new N routers use WDS for bridging, right? Maybe that is not much of an issue as it was with the G routers. I like having a 4 port router available at some of the locations in my home where I need more than the one port a gaming bridge provides. Can the N routers be used in bridge mode with each other like my current setup?
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gaming adaptor I have only has one port but connecting a switch works fine.

I have 2 replays connected to the switch/bridge along with xbox and other good stuff. I have had no problems with streaming at all (although I do not record in high quality so I will have to test that)

There is less latency which was the major problems with the g routers anyway, because the speed was usually fine, but the latent signals were what seemed to cause the routers to reboot. I in the past could even stream wireless B (but vary rarely and I think it was like super B) but not with the newer technical equipment and other interference around.

The great thing is using both the linksys modules, they work well together and thru my signal monitoring programs I see that despite lots of other interference, the router/game adaptor adapts well and basically is bulletproof, even when neighbors switch to same channel.

Since you have so many routers around, you would for sure benefit from the N signal because mine is so strong, I can be at the neighbors house 2 doors down the street and still login to my network.

You also can connect the adaptor as bridge or AP and a couple others depending on how you have your network. One thing I don't know about is multiple bridges and bandwith but I would guess 2 adaptors and the router would be fine.

I notice more reliability for the 5K units which are the fussy ones of course, the 4K is so much more rugged and the range benefit along with increased speed for other applications made it a worthwhile and appreciated upgrade.

The other G networks around do not seem to affect performance except if they are on the same channel, which will cause a reduction in speed. If you adjust to an unused channel you will be back close to high speed.
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I was unable to find any routers currently that allow bridging in the n series like you can do with several in the G series. If anyone does know of one, please let us know.

My cost was about 200 bucks to add the adaptor and router. Since then, I have seen the router on sale for as low as 70 bucks so you could probably find deals to do the package for 160-170 bucks.

I had switches laying around so I hooked up a dlink 5 port to the adaptor and that has no problems. I used a airlink 5 port and kept getting disconnections which I thought might have been the adaptor, but turns out the switch had a bad port so once I replaced it I had no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: