Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TV Converter Coupon Program

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: TV Converter Coupon Program Reply with quote

The $40 coupon for the converter program has started.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Anybody know which of the Eligible Converter Boxes can be controlled by a ReplayTV?

* DigitalSTREAM D2A1D10
* DigitalSTREAM D2A1D20
* Zenith DTT900
* Magnavox TB100MW9
* Philco TB150HH9
* MicroGEM MG2000
* Sansonic FT300RT
* MaxMedia MMDTVB03
* Apex DT1001
* ECHOSTAR TR-40
* AMTC AT-2016

The Dreamer
drlava
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, probably most of them, once the remote codes are determined and formatted for the replay.

I'd like to know which ones have the latest generation tuner, and can put out closed caption coding on the outputs..

Since you can't be subscribed to cable or satellite, I suspect There are few of use who are eligible for the coupons.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drlava wrote:
Hm, probably most of them, once the remote codes are determined and formatted for the replay.

I'd like to know which ones have the latest generation tuner, and can put out closed caption coding on the outputs..

Since you can't be subscribed to cable or satellite, I suspect There are few of use who are eligible for the coupons.

You're eligible for the coupons, it just isn't clear if you'd want to use them or not (they only ask if you use a provider; kind of like a survey). They are only good for 90 days from issuance, so you'd have to figure things out pretty quick. You can only get two total coupons issued. If you get one and let it expire, then you can still get another one. But, if you get two, like I requested, and you don't use them both right away, you are out of luck ...

Henry
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there really that many people that do not have a cable service or satellite to their home? Those providers are going to have analog at least another 2 years or more by regulation.

How many in the replay community actually have OTA only for their replay? And if so, why? I would think the point of the replay is to record more than 5 channels at most?
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
Are there really that many people that do not have a cable service or satellite to their home? Those providers are going to have analog at least another 2 years or more by regulation.

They're not required to carry analog until 2012, they are required to allow you to operate your analog TV set until 2012. There's a big difference because they can provide that capability by simply providing a set top box with analog or composite outputs. You'd still end up with needing a separate STB for the Replay...

Henry
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, I said two years, not 4. By then it probably will not matter because hopefully we will all have 3d projectors and downloads directly into our brains.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
Henry, I said two years, not 4. By then it probably will not matter because hopefully we will all have 3d projectors and downloads directly into our brains.

Well, it isn't clear which regulation you are quoting, then. The analog transmission regulation is Feb 2009, which is only just over a year away. And, that same regulation requires the cable companies to provide service for analog TV sets until 2012 and allows it to be performed using a STB.

So, exactly which regulation requires cable companies to provide analog service to the home for another 2 years?

Henry
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is incorrect. There is not a STB requirement unless the carrier is already broadcasting completely digital, which the federal register found there were none (cable). They are required to have at all "connections" the analog signal provided until at least March 2010, and depending on the other rules they follow, they may be required longer. This was native as service is now provided.

The STB part that you state was on the draft, but is not what ended up being stated in the law in the Federal Register.

The actual text for the cable part require a minimum of three years from Feb implementation as part of a sunset provision and may actually be longer subject to review by the panel within 2011-12.

I do not have the exact stuff at this time where this comes from, but it can be found in the Federal Register and if I remember correct 47 USC sections 530-540 or something like that. You can also find some of the fact sheets in the FCC codes and notations, don't remember the number of those, but basically they are restatement of the fed regs.

I actually only know about this because I play both sides of Comsucks stock and had to know all about it at some implementation thing that went on. For comsucks, it is basically a no-cost proposition but for other carriers, they might have agreements for content that will cost them more money, which sucks because you know they will just pass it on to the users.

For future reference, at least in the short term, if you want to make money, gobs of it, buy cmcsa when it drops below 17 and sell above 18. Lots of duckets can be generated that way. When it went o 16ish the snapback was beautiful. It is one truly range bound stock right now and worth knowing every detail because those are kind of like the albino cats, hard to find in nature and amazing once you do.
And unlike what I was telling somebody else. NEVER ever buy Countrywide or Wamu stock. They do make great shorts however, even here.
obsoperator
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: OTA Only Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
How many in the replay community actually have OTA only for their replay? And if so, why?

Well, me for one. I hate to pay monthly for anything I can (and have for all my life - Age 56 - gotten for free...) Some newspaper columnists, more rabid about this than I am (I'm just answering your question-Please don't think I'm trying to convert anyone else...) refer to the current pile of high-cost monthly automatic bills (cable, cell, Netflix, identity protection, enhanced credit cards ...) as "[financial] death by subscription"

That's why I took the risk of ReplayTV going under in buying an Ebay ReplayTV unit with lifetime subscription. Yes, it was a calculated risk. On the other hand, I also have a Netflix account, but I felt I would spend less there than I was spending one-at-a-time with Blockbuster, which put all my neighborhood video stores out of business.

I have my two converter coupons, and I'd like to know which ones work best with ReplayTV. It seems like I was hasty in applying for them the first day they were offered. There may not be much choice in the stores before my coupons expire, even if some useful testing gets posted here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: