Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

The low down on installing IVSMagic quick and easy as of today.

1) Download the latest installer from http://www.replaytvupgrade.com/ivsmagicbeta/

2) Find a PC running Windows XP or Windows 2000 to be your IVSMagic server, and determine its LAN IP address. Don't bother trying to use a Windows 98 machine, it won't work.

3) Collect the following information: IP Addresses and PORTs assigned to all of your ReplayTVs. IP Address of your WiRNS server if you are running WiRNS (if you aren't running WiRNS you should have your head examined). The mapped drive letter/path that points to the shows files you have stored on your DVArchive Server or WiRNS show server.

4) Install the program from #1 above onto PC #2 above. You will answer the installer questions using the information collected in #3 above. It is best if you try this process before midnight

NOTE: You must be logged in with full administrative rights for this to work!

5) Edit the file C:\Program Files\IVSMagic\IVSm.ini to add the PORTs of all of your ReplayTV's on the proxy_port line. Mine looks like this:

proxy_port=29000,29200,29500

5.3) While you are editing IVSm.ini, update the local_guide_path variable to support all of the drive letters used for show storage. Mine looks like this:

local_guide_path=D:\DVArchive, E:\DVArchive

5.6) If you really understand what it means to be testing BETA software, enable the advanced interface. This is done by adding the following line to your IVSM.ini file (I put it at the bottom of mine):

advanced_mode=enabled

6) Edit the file C:\Program Files\IVSMagic\IVSm-httpd.conf to add the same listen PORTs to your server IP #2 above. Mine looks like this:

Listen 192.168.1.48:8080
Listen 192.168.1.48:29000
Listen 192.168.1.48:29200
Listen 192.168.1.48:29500

7) Start IVSMagic server (I used Start, Programs, IVSMagic, Launch IVSMagic as an Application).

8 ) From any PC on your LAN (including the IVSMagic Server), open a browser Window and go to the IP Address and server port of your IVSMagic server (the bold entry in #6 above is what I use). If your IVSMagic server is running, you will see the main IVSMagic server screen - feel free to browse around. Take note of the checkbox to include your "local guide" in the Poopli update.

9) AFTER you have the IVSMagic server up and running, go to your Router and change the port forwarding entries for all of your ReplayTV's to point to the IVSMagic server IP (#2 above). You will delete the port forward entries that point to your Replay TV's. All ReplayTV related ports should only point to the IVSMagic server.

OLD ROUTER SETTINGS

Forward 29000 to 192.168.1.50
Forward 29200 to 192.168.1.52
Forward 29500 to 192.168.1.51

NEW ROUTER SETTINGS

Forward 29000 to 192.168.1.48
Forward 29200 to 192.168.1.48
Forward 29500 to 192.168.1.48

10) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR REPLAY TVS! No changes are required to get IVSMagic going.

11) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR WIRNS SERVER! No changes are required to get IVSMagic going. After everything was running smooth, I did stop using WiRNS to update the Poopli Show Database, as IVSMagic will do the same job with the added bonus of posting your DVArchive show library on Poopli!

12) NOTE: You do not have to wait for your active IVS transfers to complete to make the conversion to IVSMagic. You can activate IVSMagic in the middle of a transfer and you won't miss a beat (OK you might miss a few nano-beats). IVSMagic will actually discover your already started transfers (assuming you didn't go with "Protected Send Mode=ON"

Enjoy, and always remember to THINK B4U POST!

Last edited by nded on Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:11 pm; edited 6 times in total
na9d

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is excellent! Maybe Bob can sticky?

My only comment is that it's probably better to install and run IVSM as a service. This will be especially true when Bob moves to Apache 2.0 in the next release.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rao74311
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

nded wrote:
The mapped drive letter/path that points to the shows files you have stored on your DVArchive Server or WiRNS show server.

Maybe a note about this as well for new users since mapping drives for local guide information is hit or miss(still doesn't work for me).
corgi1
Replay elitist
Replay elitist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

nded wrote:
The low down on installing IVSMagic quick and easy as of today.
<snip>
11) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR WIRNS SERVER! No changes are required to get IVSMagic going. After everything was running smooth, I did stop using WiRNS to update the Poopli Show Database, as IVSMagic will do the same job with the added bonus of posting your DVArchive show library on Poopli!
<snip>
It appears to me that the Poopli database update using IVSm is a manual process (at least while it is in beta). Is there a way to automate the Poopli DB update via IVSm?
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident "automatic" updates to Poopli are on the sure to be done list, right next to the promised ability to point the local show database to multiple drive/directories.
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, automatic Poopli updates (and scheduled Replay guide refreshes) are already coded but just not activated. For the beta versions of IVSm I have decided to keep everything a manual process (for now). I'm sorry if this inconveniences anyone, but we are still in the testing phase here and I don't want to blow up anybody's computer manually or much less on a schedule.

Multiple Local Guide paths has *already* been a feature since the last major build (0.9.2.0). Check out the CHANGELOG for more info.

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added step 5.5 to document the use of multiple local guide paths.
mhargr03
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nded, great documentation!

would you mind making a little list on #9 like you did for #6 to make sure its clear what #9 wants one to do? i am asking this for myself and others as well. though i think i know what it means it would be nice to have a setup like you did in #6.

i have not been able to play with ivsm since the first few days after it was released so i need to relearn the process and see what changes have been made
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhargr03 wrote:
nded, great documentation!

would you mind making a little list on #9 like you did for #6 to make sure its clear what #9 wants one to do? i am asking this for myself and others as well. though i think i know what it means it would be nice to have a setup like you did in #6.

i have not been able to play with ivsm since the first few days after it was released so i need to relearn the process and see what changes have been made

Consider it done!
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump until it's sticky!
Hairston
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work...

Sticky!

- Bob
L8er's ReplayTV Upgrade
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

nded wrote:

In a similar vein, the user should probably stop using the Poopli Updater application (service & GUI) once they have IVSmagic configured.

edit: Great, streamlined instructions, by the way.
na9d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
nded wrote:

In a similar vein, the user should probably stop using the Poopli Updater application (service & GUI) once they have IVSmagic configured.

This is true to a point at present. But right now IVSM does not do automatic Poopli updates. So if you stop using the Poopli Updater when you install IVSM, you will need to manually update your show dB. I know Bob is planning on releasing an auto-update feature soon, but until that time, one may want to continue to use the Poopli updater and just not update through IVSM. After the Poopli auto-update feature is added, then one certainly wants to do as you suggest.

In the same vein and going off what Nded said, you may want to change a setting on your WiRNS server. If you intend to use IVSM to update Poopli then you will want to disable that functionality in WiRNS.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
krkaufman
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

na9d wrote:
krkaufman wrote:
nded wrote:

This is true to a point at present. But right now IVSM does not do automatic Poopli updates. So if you stop using the Poopli Updater when you install IVSM, you will need to manually update your show dB. I know Bob is planning on releasing an auto-update feature soon, but until that time, one may want to continue to use the Poopli updater and just not update through IVSM. After the Poopli auto-update feature is added, then one certainly wants to do as you suggest.

In the same vein and going off what Nded said, you may want to change a setting on your WiRNS server. If you intend to use IVSM to update Poopli then you will want to disable that functionality in WiRNS.

Yes, which is exactly what I was trying to point out relative to the very fine documentation Nded has provided -- although I would admit that "could" would have been preferred in my statement over "should." If he is commenting in his procedure that one may want to disable WiRNS updates of Poopli, in deference to IVSmagic, then the same message would apply to those using the Poopli Updater*, and a similar warning might be helpful. (*Even though it is apparently a mortal sin to NOT be using WiRNS nowadays. )
na9d

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: IVSMagic Fast Start Installation Guide for Experts Reply with quote

krkaufman wrote:
(*Even though it is apparently a mortal sin to NOT be using WiRNS nowadays. )

I don't know if I' use the term mortal sin, but it's a sin for sure if you aren't using it!

As Nded says in his Poopli sig (don't know why he doesn't use it here), "Anyone who has Networked Replays and isn't running WiRNS ought to have their head examined." Something like that. Frankly, that statement is why I checked out and started using WiRNS!

Of course, if you have 55xx series boxes, you HAVE to run it.

Jon
na9d

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feature Request:

Bob, please move the info on what's going on BACK into the main page. The upper right corner "processing please wait" etc. messages are too small. Additionally, they don't work correctly in Safari. Once the first "Please Wait" message is displayed, no other messages show up.

Jon
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added step 5.6 - how to enable advanced mode.
na9d

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL:

Please keep replies posted in this thread limited to supporting the install guide. Nded was kind enough to put this together for us.

Yes, there's some "junk" in here but let's keep remaining posts on track.

If you do post something off the topic, please don't be offended if it is split into it's own topic/thread. Nded has asked me to keep this strictly as an installation help thread.

Thanks,

Jon
ezpcconcepts
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: can IVS, Wirins and DVA run on one Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

Hi all... I was wondering if there is a need to run the IVS and WIRNs on differente servers.... I initially tried to install WIRNS on my DAV server. The first attemtp did not work. I was able to get WIRNS running just now but I logged out of DVA before manually starting WIRNS....

Anyone have some insight to this?? Thanks
codemantx
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: can IVS, Wirins and DVA run on one Windows 2000 Server Reply with quote

ezpcconcepts wrote:
Hi all... I was wondering if there is a need to run the IVS and WIRNs on differente servers.... I initially tried to install WIRNS on my DAV server. The first attemtp did not work. I was able to get WIRNS running just now but I logged out of DVA before manually starting WIRNS....

Anyone have some insight to this?? Thanks
all three CAN run on the same computer, but if you want to take advantage of the emulated replay features of WiRNS and DVA, they need to be on different IPs since the emulated replay has to use port 80. this can also cause problems since you are using Windows 2000 Server if you have IIS enabled and running because IIS also uses port 80 (although you can change the listen port for IIS). you will have to add alternate IPs to you network adapter for each app that has to use port 80. DVA and WiRNS will happily use alternate IPs. however, there have been some issues with IIS. even tho you can tell it to listen only on a specific IP, it usually takes over all IPs and listens on port 80 on the alternate IPs, too. there is a MS knowledgebase article regarding this; but i have never been able to get IIS to co-exist with any other app that has to use port 80 no matter what the IP is.

IVSm will co-exist with either WiRNS or DVA on the same IP since the default port for IVSm is 8080. if you already have something using port 8080, you can easily specify that IVSm listen on a different port.
rbolen70
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

run this in the iis adminscripts directory:

cscript adsutil.vbs set w3svc/disablesocketpooling true

This will fix iis not binding to only one IP specified.

Ryan

<edit> you'll need to restart IIS web service </edit>
ezpcconcepts
Replay user
Replay user

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.. fortunatly I am not running IIS on this particular server. I use it among other things as my fax server and my Cybergenie PBX host..

So, in short I can run all three but it is suggested to run multiple IP address for the DVA and WIRNS... should be doable.. have not started playing with IVSMagic... but plan on it since I will be snow bound this weekend....

Thanks for your help.
CodeOptimist
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention -- this guide is great! I used it yesterday to set up IVSMagic easily. The only thing missing was instructions on how to add another IP address to my network adapter (I'm running WiRNS and IVSMagic on the same machine), but I found that in another thread.

Thanks for taking the time to write it up, nded!

My units:
- 5080, 200GB (Poopli)
Scallica
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guide is good so far, but it is incomplete.

You should include instructions on HOW to initiate a transfer back to the RTV.
soliars
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scallica wrote:
The guide is good so far, but it is incomplete.

You should include instructions on HOW to initiate a transfer back to the RTV.

Great minds think alike. finger
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mods,

Please delete this post, and the 2 prior posts regarding "incomplete" documentation. These so called great minds are asking for information that has nothing to do with installation (what part of "Installation Guide" didnt' they understand?), and I don't use IVSmagic to send shows back to my local Replays (don't have any desire to do such, so I won't be writing the manual). If you decide to give a warning to Soliars for his rude finger actions, that's fine with me too.
hdonzis
Planet Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nded wrote:
Hey mods,

Please delete this post, and the 2 prior posts regarding "incomplete" documentation. These so called great minds are asking for information that has nothing to do with installation (what part of "Installation Guide" didnt' they understand?), and I don't use IVSmagic to send shows back to my local Replays (don't have any desire to do such, so I won't be writing the manual). If you decide to give a warning to Soliars for his rude finger actions, that's fine with me too.

The 3 posts (in different forums) from Soliars are obviously spam (you can see that his profile consists of only a web page). And, the posts are to very old threads where the last post was over a year old (except for this one).

The post from Scallica seems legit, however His profile looks perfectly normal, all his previous posts look normal, and he is clearly posting about ReplayTV and IVSmagic. Maybe he thought that "Experts" in the title of this thread meant it should include such information on sending shows back to the Replay. Since IVSmagic and WiRNS are the only two apps that can do this, it certainly seems like a genuine request. If you don't think it belongs as part of the "Fast Start" guide, then you can certainly reply as such (after all, it IS your info). But, that doesn't mean the post should be deleted since it seems like a very reasonable, genuine request (if you look at his other posts, they are all about getting IVSmagic to send back to the Replay, so I can see how it needs special attention)...

Henry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: