Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maxtor Killed the ReplayTV !!!

 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
joshua362
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Maxtor Killed the ReplayTV !!! Reply with quote

Is this a valid statement? Here's my theory:

I bought my first 50xx in 2002 - within 2 months it was dead, the dreaded "please wait" "hard drive is dead" screen. A month+ long hassle to get return authorization, ship, repair and receive it. Within 6 months, it was dead again.

Shortly afterwards, I discovered this site and eventually bought a total of 5 50xx, repairing each one myself at least once, with a larger hard drive as they failed.

Knock on wood, none have failed in a very long time, say 3+ years. I couldn't love these more.

So, I conclude that Maxtor sold a huge bunch of really crappy OEM drives and overwhelmed Sonic Blue with customer support and service issues until they simply had to give up. 99% of the public doesn't read this site.

(PS - I hope I am slandering the right HD company, I can't remember for sure - I do remember that I replaced all failures with Maxtor's 250-320 GB drives).

Seems like a simple enough explanation to me. Why there aren't many lawsuits, I don't know. Any class action attorneys reading?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justotech
Replay fan
Replay fan


Joined: 19 Jan 2005
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic Blue doesn't exist anymore... DNNA bought them out years ago and I don't think anyone gives a damn right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it wasn't hard disk failures, it was idiotic marketing that killed it.

FWIW, Maxtor extended the warranties on those drives from 1year to 3years and would accept RMA's from end users, which is not normal practice for most OEM drives.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 877

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually wasn't the marketing. It was the lawsuits that they got tired of fighting.

Just be glad that there is something that still provides the data so that we can use them.

I wish they had a new company that did HD as does almost everyone on the site for sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doppelbock
Replay newbie
Replay newbie


Joined: 04 Mar 2003
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking how sad it was that the better technology lost the battle yet again. I'm glad that Schedules Direct got off the ground, I'm just counting the weeks now until the RTV program guide is killed for good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
It actually wasn't the marketing. It was the lawsuits that they got tired of fighting..


You keep on believing that.

Hum, $400 dollar replayTV versus $50 Tivo after rebates.

The consumer doesn't see the monthly service cost of the Tivo.

ReplayTV's marketing was, at best, piss-poor. They managed to sign distribution agreements with....


...wait for it...




...




...

NOBODY!



TA-DA!


Meanwhile Tivo signed with DirecTV and a few others.



Sonic|Blue didn't go bankrupt because "they were tired of fighting lawsuits" they fought ONE lawsuit versus Paramount. They concieted, that's it. That's all it was. Lawsuit : SINGULAR.

They couldn't sell the box. They tried to sell it with $300 bundled lifeime service when all people were looking at was "Ohhhh $50 out the door".

They didn't advertise the box properly.

They didn't sign distrubution agreements.

Sorry, sanjonny, but you don't have a frickin' clue.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 877

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I am betting I have much more of a clue than you. You obviously have not been involved in marketing (or at least not anything substantial) and really do not understand the horrors of media lawsuits.

So you go believe what you want to believe. In reality, it had absolutely nothing to do with marketing. It was bad management and bad responses to issues.


And TIVO is not the be all end all. As anyone who has a replay knows, they are pieces of crap comparatively and they are constantly fighting to stay alive.

Remember who has blown up in the DVR industry. Your marketing genius STEVE JOBS at Apple launched a set-top box this year and it has already been killed. Know why? Because they sure as hell tried marketing it. If you happen to follow that company you will see how much they spent marketing it. On top of that, they had all kinds of agreements.

Oh and let's not forget a little company called MICROSOFT, which has entered the market and also floundered. They have spent billions marketing their media solutions to limited appeal and they have tons of agreements also.

Before you say stupid crap like "You don't have a fricking clue" you should actually back that up with facts, rather than your pot enhanced, yo dude it was the marketing departments fault" view of the world.

It is very obvious you have never worked for a large company and for sure not participated in product launches.

Specifically:
1. You for sure did not notice that replays also had 50 dollar programs with rebates and all that crap.

2. They sold tons of boxes. Find somebody with a TIVO from 1999 that is still using theirs. They don't exist.

3. The tivo users totally see the cost. And by the way, replays sold more of the lifetime subscriptions during the time they had the other options than they did the monthly, know why? better materials and marketing. So you are the one who does not have a clue how these things work.

4. Replay signed distribution with two major (at the time satellite companies) and three major companies. You frankly are just plain wrong.

5. Side by side, replay comparisons trounce tivo all the time. They had a superior product that scared the hell out of Sony et al.

Do you even know how much money Replay spent in product marketing (cause I do as I followed the whole story closely).

Replay pulled off amazing feats. They did not have the best execution, but look at how well their products are accepted even years after the company is gone. Now the current company and their garbage with the replay PC is just stupid and they have no idea what marketing is or product design.

Replay TV was a superior game changing product. They only participated in one lawsuit but they were being sent back to the stone age because of crippling technology limitations that were asked for.

The media industry made sure that something as great as the replay could not be allowed to live. If it was all marketing, then why does not other product have commercial advance, ivs sharing, direct downloading, fast menu systems and all the great other things that the replay has.

It is an extraordinary feat that they were not completely driven out of business, but in the end, the lawsuits ended it, not their marketing.

Only an absolute moron would not be able to see the decline of replay for exactly what it was. A product that was too powerful that was pummeled out of existance.

Maybe you should read your marketing 101 book, take another bong hit and actually read the 10-Q and other statements of Microsoft, Apple, GE, Sony Entertainment and then go and read all of the Replay TV announcements and discussions during the time it happened..

If you want to continue your delusion, that is your right, or you could get a billion dollars, launch replay TV 2 (HD please) and prove to me that it was all marketing that caused the downfall of the company.

I am sure with all your marketing experience and knowledge, it would be an easy chore, just like your monday morning quarterbacking of the industry.

Or just try and launch your own line with your marketing connections, I am sure it could be done.

But do not try and call people who know more than you names and for sure do not show how stupid you are by trying to show me how much of a clue you do not have. Pack another bong load, download the web porn and see if you can transfer that to your friend with the TIVO. No? can't transfer it? Blame the marketing guys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
l8er
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 08 May 2004
Posts: 895
Location: Eureka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicBlue did not go away (bankrupt) because of lawsuit(s). That's a fairly common myth.

sanjonny wrote:
Wow, I am betting I have much more of a clue than you.

And me? I'm betting you don't.
_________________
-Gary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 877

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, I am betting you just don't even know what year this is. (Here is a hint, check on your computer,because it doesn't require interpretation like a calendar would!)

Gary, do you even have a replay anymore or did you give them all up for HD? And now have to deal with crappy HD players like I have to which suck compared to the replays. I still have my 4 replays and they still get more use than my HD players.

I never said that Sonicblue went bankrupt because of lawsuits and it doesn't matter anyway

How do you know what caused them to go away? Were you there? Or were you out buying lottery tickets......

Stupid statements are from stupid people. SonicBlue was the aquirer of the original company that started marketing the whole thing. They went away because the did not know how to manage the company. As I said in this line :

"In reality, it had absolutely nothing to do with marketing. It was bad management and bad responses to issues. "

So what do you contend oh wise people, was the cause of the downfall of the replay tv? Ghost and demons or phantom marketing problems. Or just bad bud?

I am so tired of idiots making statements without any backup. Please describe to me from the 10-Q what the cause of replays downfall was. Because it obviously is still in use, and nobody else out there has made what is included in the replay. Why is that?

Or just shut the hell up if you have nothing to contribute. Please, you guys remind me of the morons I used to work with who could not understand why the company was sinking. Get a life, get some facts. Read a little. Make a ton of money and maybe you can talk.

I have made my money, this is a diversion. I probably make more in a day than some of you idiots make in a year.

I just hate stupid people and morons who make statements like

"And me? I'm betting you don't." add even more to the silliness. Unlike the other guy who just doesn't know better. You should know better Gary.

So it was not bad management and poor reaction to issues? What was it Gary who doesn't own a replay tv anymore and lives in pot smoking wonderland? Geez, what a waste of air and resources you seem to be.

If you do not know, shut the heck up, if you have nothing to contribute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
Wow, I am betting I have much more of a clue than you. You obviously have not been involved in marketing (or at least not anything substantial) and really do not understand the horrors of media lawsuits.


That's highly presumptious of you. Now, I'm not sitting here trying to erroniously tell you your background, I would appreciate it if you would kindly extend me the same courtsey.


sanjonny wrote:
So you go believe what you want to believe. In reality, it had absolutely nothing to do with marketing. It was bad management and bad responses to issues.


"Bad Management" - neither of us mentioned that previously, now, we're actually in complete agreement.


sanjonny wrote:
And TIVO is not the be all end all. As anyone who has a replay knows, they are pieces of crap comparatively and they are constantly fighting to stay alive..


Agreed. But when did I say they were?

Oh, that's right. I didn't. You just assumed it.

sanjonny wrote:
Remember who has blown up in the DVR industry. Your marketing genius STEVE JOBS at Apple launched a set-top box this year and it has already been killed. Know why? Because they sure as hell tried marketing it. If you happen to follow that company you will see how much they spent marketing it. On top of that, they had all kinds of agreements.


"Your marketing genius STEVE JOBS"?

Where do you come up with this crap? Where and when did he become MY marketing genius? Oh, that's right, you just ASSUMED you know something about me, which you don't.

Furthermore, your argument is irrelavant to the demise of the RTV. You're citing an example that occured after the product went off the market.


sanjonny wrote:
Oh and let's not forget a little company called MICROSOFT, which has entered the market and also floundered. They have spent billions marketing their media solutions to limited appeal and they have tons of agreements also.


The point you are trying to make here is what? This has no bearing on the disscussion, you're comparing apples and oranges. Standalone DVRs and PC software that came long after the RTV, there is no relevance.


sanjonny wrote:
Before you say stupid crap like "You don't have a fricking clue" you should actually back that up with facts, rather than your pot enhanced, yo dude it was the marketing departments fault" view of the world.

It is very obvious you have never worked for a large company and for sure not participated in product launches.



More unfounded assumptions about my background, I see. You've got it all figured out now don't you? Rock on with your bad self.

Oh BTW what was that you were saying about "not saying stupid crap"? Like almost everything you've said so far sanjonny?

sanjonny wrote:

Specifically:
1. You for sure did not notice that replays also had 50 dollar programs with rebates and all that crap.


And those were so succuessfully marketed that they had to cancel them.

It wasn't that they switched to them later, it was that they shot themseves in the foot from day one by not offering them.


sanjonny wrote:

2. They sold tons of boxes. Find somebody with a TIVO from 1999 that is still using theirs. They don't exist.


Point 1: IIRC, TiVo didn't release a unit until 2000.
Point 2: I know quite a few people running S1 Tivos. They appear to be no less common than older RTVs.

sanjonny wrote:

3. The tivo users totally see the cost. And by the way, replays sold more of the lifetime subscriptions during the time they had the other options than they did the monthly, know why? better materials and marketing. So you are the one who does not have a clue how these things work.


*sigh* They weren't offered at the same time except for existing stock. Loyal users were grabbing the old boxes like they were gold.

sanjonny wrote:

4. Replay signed distribution with two major (at the time satellite companies) and three major companies. You frankly are just plain wrong.


Those were 3k's.

sanjonny wrote:

5. Side by side, replay comparisons trounce tivo all the time. They had a superior product that scared the hell out of Sony et al.


I agree. But when did I disagree?

Oh, that's right. I didn't.

sanjonny wrote:

Do you even know how much money Replay spent in product marketing (cause I do as I followed the whole story closely).

Replay pulled off amazing feats. They did not have the best execution, but look at how well their products are accepted even years after the company is gone. Now the current company and their garbage with the replay PC is just stupid and they have no idea what marketing is or product design.

Replay TV was a superior game changing product. They only participated in one lawsuit but they were being sent back to the stone age because of crippling technology limitations that were asked for.

The media industry made sure that something as great as the replay could not be allowed to live. If it was all marketing, then why does not other product have commercial advance, ivs sharing, direct downloading, fast menu systems and all the great other things that the replay has.

It is an extraordinary feat that they were not completely driven out of business, but in the end, the lawsuits ended it, not their marketing.

Only an absolute moron would not be able to see the decline of replay for exactly what it was. A product that was too powerful that was pummeled out of existance.

Maybe you should read your marketing 101 book, take another bong hit and actually read the 10-Q and other statements of Microsoft, Apple, GE, Sony Entertainment and then go and read all of the Replay TV announcements and discussions during the time it happened..

If you want to continue your delusion, that is your right, or you could get a billion dollars, launch replay TV 2 (HD please) and prove to me that it was all marketing that caused the downfall of the company.

I am sure with all your marketing experience and knowledge, it would be an easy chore, just like your monday morning quarterbacking of the industry.

Or just try and launch your own line with your marketing connections, I am sure it could be done.

But do not try and call people who know more than you names and for sure do not show how stupid you are by trying to show me how much of a clue you do not have. Pack another bong load, download the web porn and see if you can transfer that to your friend with the TIVO. No? can't transfer it? Blame the marketing guys.


You're the only one calling names here sanjonny, try re-reading my post and then yours and maybe you'll realize that. You're also making all kinds of wild accusations and assumptions. If there was a point to this discussion, I'd be willing to pick it back up with you once you've calmed down. But there is no point, the RTV hardware platform is dead.

And we both seem to agree that poor management blotched it.

Your apology is accepted.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KrK
Replay fan
Replay fan


Joined: 07 Jan 2003
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
I am so tired of idiots making statements without any backup. Please describe to me from the 10-Q what the cause of replays downfall was. Because it obviously is still in use, and nobody else out there has made what is included in the replay. Why is that?
The lawsuits, perhaps? Sheesh. Dumbass.

Quote:
Or just shut the hell up if you have nothing to contribute. Please, you guys remind me of the morons I used to work with who could not understand why the company was sinking. Get a life, get some facts. Read a little. Make a ton of money and maybe you can talk.

I have made my money, this is a diversion. I probably make more in a day than some of you idiots make in a year.
I hope some thug breaks into your house, steals all your shit, and kicks your ass. Nothing better then a selfish rich prick on the internet boasting about how superior he is because he is rich. All that proves is that you're an ASSHOLE. Maybe some other asshole will sue you and leave you broke.

STFU and stop cluttering up the forum with your egomanical rant.
_________________
--- ReplayTV 4504
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l8er
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 08 May 2004
Posts: 895
Location: Eureka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
.... I just hate stupid people and morons ....

Wow, you must really hate yourself then, because you're the leader of that pack here.
_________________
-Gary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
l8er
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 08 May 2004
Posts: 895
Location: Eureka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanjonny wrote:
So it was not bad management and poor reaction to issues? What was it Gary who doesn't own a replay tv anymore and lives in pot smoking wonderland?

Offhand I'd say it was the guy tossing around drug related terminology at anyone who doesn't agree with him who probably has the drug problem.

For anyone who got in on the ground floor of ReplayTV circa 1999-2000, it's obvious it was never marketed properly. So yes, poor marketing by the original company ReplayTV and then by SonicBlue probably helped kill ReplayTV more than any other single thing.

sanjonny wrote:
.... It was the lawsuits that they got tired of fighting. ....

So which is it cannabis brain? Bad management or the lawsuits? As has been stated before, there was one lawsuit, it was settled, and had very little to do with the demise of SonicBlue.
_________________
-Gary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 877

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, so you quote me once but not twice? You are ridiculous. You have no replay tvs, so why are you even reading this forum anymore.

Didn't you go cry about a year ago about how you were not being treated well and take your tonka toys away? How about going back to that state. Because you obviously are not contributing to the community now.

I actually provide help for some people here, instead of just try and start something.

Where is the last post where Gary, you provided help to someone. Is it back in pre-cambrian times? (Sorry too big of a word. How about 1999?)

Because I have been in this forum for a few years now and it seems you have not contributed any help to anyone in at least 2 years. Probably more.

, Half of the crap in this thread is ridiculous and I have no idea why it matters anyway.

But if you read the post that I wrote in response to the other idiot, it says very clearly

"It was bad management and bad responses to issues. "

That is it and that encompasses marketing for those too stupid to understand what bad management is, but that was not the final nail in the coffin.

It was their poor response to lawsuits and their bad management in general. It was also that they had a revolutionary product that got them sued back to the stone age. They also had cash flow problems.

Anyone who knows anything about bizness, which obviously some of you nuts do not, can understand the downfall of the replay tv. I did not put words in anyones mouths, I took them directly from your quotes.

You guys on the other hand assumed all kinds of crap. I assumed that neither of you had any real money, because people with limited scope and understanding do not make good money. That is all. It is like saying if you live in a trailer park, you are not a millionaire.

If you have a completely limited view of the world and cannot get out of your technical box of understanding and pompous crap, you will not have any money.

Luckily almost all of my arguments about Replay/Sonic/DNNA are based on facts, found directly from income statements and media releases and discussions. Your two knuckleheaded analysis is based on your feelings and limited scope. I can provide direct quotes from the press releases.

Quite frankly, there are several very smart and useful people on this board and I would rather hear their intelligent fact based discussion, than your drug enduced meanderings.

Yes, they really are after you. No it is not fair, and yes, the government is keeping you down.

Provide some documented facts or even intelligent analysis(which I am sure you can't even spell 10-Q much less read one and understand what it means.

Otherwise, go crawl back in your holes and kiss your second cousin (wife?) goodnight and watch out for the black helicopters....

I am changing the channel.

Those who want to see can see and profit, those that not are certainly off it

Enjoy your foreclosure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sanjonny
Planet Master
Planet Master


Joined: 21 Oct 2006
Posts: 877

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And BTW, there were 11 lawsuits. They were dropped when the changes were made. You obviously do not know how to do research. (since it probably is not in wikipedia)

Read the press releases if you want to know more. They can be found at EDGAR online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
joshua362
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 10 Oct 2003
Posts: 147

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, OP here, look what I started...

I had a such a simple thought the other night while enjoying my 5 superior 50xx machines that have given me such convenience and joy for the last 5+ years. Never thought it would go this deep.

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my premise. My point was assuming ANY sort of marketing worked and you actually went out and got one of this in your hands AND it functioned long enough to understand its superior features - one would be extremely happy - and show / tell your friends, the best type of Marketing there is.

But I had to replace 100% (5 of 5) original hard drives within a very short period of time after purchase. I have to assume others did too. This had to overwhelm RTV/Sonic Blue/DNNA or whoever to the point of giving up.

Who cares if the $30 OEM HD had a warranty - its the aggravation costs of call centers, staff, repairs, shipping that had to quickly exceed any profit on the sale. And any positive word of mouth is shot.

Again, once I got rid of the crap OEM drives, its been smooth sailing since. And to think I once balked at the "life time" subscriptions because I doubted the machines or the technology would last past the break even point. 5+ years and still going, its the best thing ever invented and just a sad shame.

Just my theory that it would be a much better ballgame if someone didn't scrimp on those HD's in the first place. 99% of the population doesn't read these boards and mod/fix their own units! I only did after the frustration after sending in unit #1 twice. Most non geeks would just give up.

Lets face it, we are here and writing because of your passion for the machine and we pissed at the path it took. I return you back to the heated debate already in progress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Firefox extension to ignore/hide user in phpbb2 based fo Reply with quote

l8er wrote:
For anyone else tired of the spoiled rich kid tirade - here's a nifty Firefox add on that allows you to ignore posts of anyone you find annoying in a phpbb based forum.


Thanks Gary. It would seem that you've found the only solution to dealing with sanjonny and his severe problem of projecting his worst traits and issues onto others and then saying that they are theirs.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdonzis
Planet Overlord


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 9017
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Firefox extension to ignore/hide user in phpbb2 based fo Reply with quote

l8er wrote:
For anyone else tired of the spoiled rich kid tirade - here's a nifty Firefox add on that allows you to ignore posts of anyone you find annoying in a phpbb based forum.

phpbb_user_hide-1.3-fx.xpi is available via the ReplayTV Upgrade site here.

To install it in Firefox, drag it from any explorer window into a Firefox window.


Yeah, that FireFox feature was brought up last time sanjonny went on one of his little tantrums. That's for the refresher Gary! I, for one, still think that you do a whole lot for the Replay community and probably have forgotten more about Showstoppers/ReplayTVs than sanjonny will ever know!

Henry
_________________
Here's my Poop (I know that's the old Poopli, but I like it that way!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdonzis
Planet Overlord


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 9017
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshua362 wrote:
OMG, OP here, look what I started...

I had a such a simple thought the other night while enjoying my 5 superior 50xx machines that have given me such convenience and joy for the last 5+ years. Never thought it would go this deep.

Anyway, I'm still sticking to my premise. My point was assuming ANY sort of marketing worked and you actually went out and got one of this in your hands AND it functioned long enough to understand its superior features - one would be extremely happy - and show / tell your friends, the best type of Marketing there is.

But I had to replace 100% (5 of 5) original hard drives within a very short period of time after purchase. I have to assume others did too. This had to overwhelm RTV/Sonic Blue/DNNA or whoever to the point of giving up.

Who cares if the $30 OEM HD had a warranty - its the aggravation costs of call centers, staff, repairs, shipping that had to quickly exceed any profit on the sale. And any positive word of mouth is shot.

Again, once I got rid of the crap OEM drives, its been smooth sailing since. And to think I once balked at the "life time" subscriptions because I doubted the machines or the technology would last past the break even point. 5+ years and still going, its the best thing ever invented and just a sad shame.

Just my theory that it would be a much better ballgame if someone didn't scrimp on those HD's in the first place. 99% of the population doesn't read these boards and mod/fix their own units! I only did after the frustration after sending in unit #1 twice. Most non geeks would just give up.

Lets face it, we are here and writing because of your passion for the machine and we pissed at the path it took. I return you back to the heated debate already in progress.


I didn't want to bother to reply to your OP, but while I don't think that Maxtor killed the Replay, I personally don't like Maxtor drives at all. My company used them back in 1985 for high capacity file servers and they would break all the time. We changed to CDC drives as soon as they were available in the larger capacities. My very first 5080's hard drive broke 4 times within the warranty period (I only paid for the shipping the first time. I made Sonic Blue pay for the shipping the other 3 times)! And, all but one of my four 5000's Maxtor drives have broken over time (although, I guess any hard drive will break over time, but these were pretty quickly). I have always stayed away from Maxtor drives and will always stay away from Maxtor drives. My current company uses Seagate drives exclusively (at my recommendation)...

Henry
_________________
Here's my Poop (I know that's the old Poopli, but I like it that way!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Tivo's use maxtor drives in some of their models too around that time?

I seem to recall the 40GB FireBall III being also found in Tivos, not sure about the 80, 120 and 160's offhand.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdonzis
Planet Overlord


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 9017
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm -rf *.* wrote:
Didn't Tivo's use maxtor drives in some of their models too around that time?

I seem to recall the 40GB FireBall III being also found in Tivos, not sure about the 80, 120 and 160's offhand.


The FireBall seires was made by Quantum, which was a very, very good hard drive manufacture. They got purchased by Maxtor, so that is why you'd see them with the Maxtor label on them. Assuming that Maxtor didn't muck with them, then they would still be the original Quantum design, which was very good...

Henry
_________________
Here's my Poop (I know that's the old Poopli, but I like it that way!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdonzis wrote:
rm -rf *.* wrote:
Didn't Tivo's use maxtor drives in some of their models too around that time?

I seem to recall the 40GB FireBall III being also found in Tivos, not sure about the 80, 120 and 160's offhand.


The FireBall seires was made by Quantum, which was a very, very good hard drive manufacture. They got purchased by Maxtor, so that is why you'd see them with the Maxtor label on them. Assuming that Maxtor didn't muck with them, then they would still be the original Quantum design, which was very good...

Henry


The FBII (which came in the 4040's and the 4504's) was flat out a Quantum product with a Maxtor inkstamp. Was the FBIII also a quantum design or was it a "merger of both"? Or just a Maxtor design that they stuck into the FB line?

I can't remember what the model of the 80GB was, but I seem to recall it as a Quantum designed drive also.
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdonzis
Planet Overlord


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 9017
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rm -rf *.* wrote:
hdonzis wrote:
rm -rf *.* wrote:
Didn't Tivo's use maxtor drives in some of their models too around that time?

I seem to recall the 40GB FireBall III being also found in Tivos, not sure about the 80, 120 and 160's offhand.


The FireBall seires was made by Quantum, which was a very, very good hard drive manufacture. They got purchased by Maxtor, so that is why you'd see them with the Maxtor label on them. Assuming that Maxtor didn't muck with them, then they would still be the original Quantum design, which was very good...

Henry


The FBII (which came in the 4040's and the 4504's) was flat out a Quantum product with a Maxtor inkstamp. Was the FBIII also a quantum design or was it a "merger of both"? Or just a Maxtor design that they stuck into the FB line?

I can't remember what the model of the 80GB was, but I seem to recall it as a Quantum designed drive also.


I wouldn't have any way to know if the FBIII was completely Quantum or if Maxtor had a hand in it. I would hope they wouldn't call it a FireBall unless the Quantum group worked on it. But, Quantum made very reliable hard drives, whereas Maxtor would make very high capacity drives without any regard for reliability. Anyone remember "the click of death"?

Henry
_________________
Here's my Poop (I know that's the old Poopli, but I like it that way!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rm -rf *.*
Replay junkie
Replay junkie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 210
Location: Uberglitch, Switzerland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having to pull Seagate drives out of my Sun servers and workstations, turn them on their side and slam them into the underside of the desks to get the heads unstuck.

"Hang on, we're working on recovering the server now!" *SMASH*BANG*BANG* slide, click, wiirrrrrrrrrrr, beep, click, wirrrrrrrrr, "OK, We're back online, try it now!"


click of death, maybe. Didn't deal with a lot of Maxtor product back in those days. Mostly Quantum, Seagate & WDC (one more I can't remember the name of offhand. Might have been IBM).
_________________
Still no news from New Zealand.
If we ever get any, we'll be sure to let you know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hdonzis
Planet Overlord


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Posts: 9017
Location: San Antonio, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've gotten real good at unsticking heads!

The "click of death" was a highly publicized problem that Maxtor had with a certain model drive where it would freeze up (IIRC). It was one of those things that you knew was going to happen to your hard drive eventually and all you could do was wait for the day that it happened...

Henry
_________________
Here's my Poop (I know that's the old Poopli, but I like it that way!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaxH
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Posts: 866
Location: Montgomery County, MD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have deleted posts that had nothing to do with Replays or HDDs or anything relevant to anyone but the poster and their intended target. Please do not use the forum as a soapbox.

EDIT: You know what, if anyone actually wants to DISCUSS the issue, start a new thread. This one is too far gone to leave open.
_________________
Psst, Got Poopli? Drink from the 2Mbps firehose!

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jleavens
Planet Overlord


Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Posts: 806

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen: When "TiVo" became a verb, it was all over for ReplayTV.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Planet Replay topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group