Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lots of little problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emmarie
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Lots of little problems Reply with quote

I'm having a bunch of little problems right now - I'm almost afraid to post this, because I know a lot of these things seem to have been discussed in the past, but I've read and reread a every sticky and thread after thread, post after post and either my situation seems different to me, or I just don't understand things once I've read them. So here goes:

1. I have a bunch of shows that stay at 0%, but appear to have downloaded since receivers are marking them complete on Poopli.

2. I have a bunch of shows that stall at some percent, some appear to have completed because receivers are marking them complete on Poopli - the time of last update is days old. I'm hesitant to delete them from IVSM because I want to see if they ever start up again, but so far none have. Others stall and because of bad poopliers that never come back to update Poopli, I have no idea if they've completed or not.

3. I have eight sends of Jericho going out to one person that I've shared with before but now my sends are taking an incredibly long time to download. The reciever has written me several times to say that he's experiencing network errors - I've checked both our IVS numbers and we both pass. He accepted only four to begin with, and even with network errors and the replay cycling through the list of four all day, they should all have completed in a couple of days - it's now been a week. I'm sending Jericho and other shows out to other individuals and shows are speeding to complete overnight. My laptop got fried last week and I had to move to an older one and install IVSM on it until I can get it fixed. These eight shows are sends I sent before I killed my laptop and all show up in the list as expected, as unknown - I'm actually thinking of telling him to delete them all and we'll try from scratch. could it have something to do with them being old sends from the old IP address? I'm so confused.

4. My most recent send was sent via IVSM and added to my address book but for some odd reason it came up this morning in my send list as Unknown and stalled since 8pm last night.

5. What am I doing wrong with the setup of my Local Virtual Replay - I thought I had it set up correctly, but I can't remember if I've ever had a request from it before now - and I can't remember if I actually tested it on The Dreamer's site although I'd almost swear I did cause I thought I went through the entire list one by one - but now I'm not sure. What do I have to do on my router to set up the virtual replay - I have a Buffalo G54, I think I have it set up correctly everywhere else. I have it set up in IVSM and I copied and pasted all info into Poopli, My local guide is updating on IVSM, my shows are correcly loading into Poopli and I can send shows from my local guide via IVSM with no errors. My Local Guide IVS number passes the IVSM ISN tester but fails The Dreamer's test. I received an email from someone I sent Farscape to that he was receiving nothing but a network error and we're both seeing 0% complete.

6. Although this isn't a big deal, I did the loopback test and passed, but when I tried to send a test show back to my replay I get errors - so now I'm thinking that this is related to problem number 5 and I'm experiencing the same problem he is.

7. I constantly get clock deskew errors when trying to send shows or view the send list - I thought it was a problem with my newer laptop - it drifted all day sometimes more than 2 minutes in either direction, but now that my newer laptop is out of commission and I've moved to my much older one, I'm still seeing the same problem. Everytime I go to send a show I first open the status page and hit the time offset link first. Just in case it's important, I have one replay without a photo partition - I stupidly set that one up year's ago, when I first learned how to install a new drive, so now I'm stuck with it - but my others all have partitions and I'm using one with a partition as my master replay.

Sorry, I know this is a lot and again, I'm sorry if anyone thinks I should have searched the forum better. I didn't really do a search, I just started reading down the list for anything that seemed to match any one of my problems. Thanks.

-em
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Em,

For starters, lets make sure we know what you are working with:

What version of IVSmagic are you running?

What are the ISN's of your Replays?

If you can post a copy of your IVSmagic "replay configuration" screen, that will tell us a lot of this. Also your status screen will help.

Quote:
1. I have a bunch of shows that stay at 0%, but appear to have downloaded since receivers are marking them complete on Poopli.

A lot of poops have a bad habit of marking things complete so they don't have to bother with good manners.
Quote:
2. I have a bunch of shows that stall at some percent, some appear to have completed because receivers are marking them complete on Poopli - the time of last update is days old. I'm hesitant to delete them from IVSM because I want to see if they ever start up again, but so far none have. Others stall and because of bad poopliers that never come back to update Poopli, I have no idea if they've completed or not.

Another bad habit is getting impatient and giving up - some of this could still be bad poopli manners.
Quote:
3. I have eight sends of Jericho going out to one person that I've shared with before but now my sends are taking an incredibly long time to download. The reciever has written me several times to say that he's experiencing network errors - I've checked both our IVS numbers and we both pass. He accepted only four to begin with, and even with network errors and the replay cycling through the list of four all day, they should all have completed in a couple of days - it's now been a week. I'm sending Jericho and other shows out to other individuals and shows are speeding to complete overnight. My laptop got fried last week and I had to move to an older one and install IVSM on it until I can get it fixed. These eight shows are sends I sent before I killed my laptop and all show up in the list as expected, as unknown - I'm actually thinking of telling him to delete them all and we'll try from scratch. could it have something to do with them being old sends from the old IP address? I'm so confused.

I'm gonna request a few shows from you to do some benchmark testing. Post a message here when you send, and what progress you see. I'll do the same from my side.
Quote:
4. My most recent send was sent via IVSM and added to my address book but for some odd reason it came up this morning in my send list as Unknown and stalled since 8pm last night.

If the receivers IP address changes (typically caused by flaky ISP's or rebooting their router), then this happens in IVSmagic.

REMEMBER: Deleting a SEND in IVSmagic will not stop it from working. It should reappear as an UNKNOWN send when the traffic starts moving. Only the DENY function in IVSmagic will cause the send to fail on their end.

I can't help you with 5/6, I don't play that game yet.
Quote:
7. I constantly get clock deskew errors when trying to send shows or view the send list - I thought it was a problem with my newer laptop - it drifted all day sometimes more than 2 minutes in either direction, but now that my newer laptop is out of commission and I've moved to my much older one, I'm still seeing the same problem. Everytime I go to send a show I first open the status page and hit the time offset link first. Just in case it's important, I have one replay without a photo partition - I stupidly set that one up year's ago, when I first learned how to install a new drive, so now I'm stuck with it - but my others all have partitions and I'm using one with a partition as my master replay.

Are you using any tool to sync your PC clock with the world atomic clock
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have requested the first 4 episodes of Jericho - please send to NDED3
MaxH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, progress doesn't show up when port forwarding isn't done through the IVSm computer. All IVS ports need to be forwarded to that computer, and IVSm needs to know the ports to forward them to the Replay. Are you sure 1) your IVS ports are forwarded to that computer, and 2) the IVSm configuration is set up correctly, and you restarted the IVSm service or the computer after updating the Replay configuration in IVSm?

I've found that the sends get interrupted when the IVSm computer gets busy, or my IP address changes. Any chance your WAN IP address changes a lot? If not, try adding this to your IVSm.ini file if it's not there already:

Quote:
; defer guide updates if there are x sends or more active when the time comes for the scheduler to update
defer_guide_updates=1

This means IVSm won't check your Replays for new shows while there are sends going on, so you might want to change the IVSm scheduler to update every hour or two, so it doesn't miss a chance to update between sends.

One person's trash really can be another person's treasure. The Freecycle Network(tm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just accpepted the 4 shows. Do you show any "action" on your IVSmagic status screen (i.e. Last Update date/time should not be blank)?
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent a test clip (3 minutes of Dr Who) to your Replay. Please ACCEPT it and see what happens.
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First show is 9.8% complete, with a transfer rate of around 56KB - what are you seing on your IVSmagic console?
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SEND to your ReplayTV is showing 40.8% complete on my IVSmagic server console.
emmarie
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I just hit preview on this post and lost everything I just wrote so I have to start over. I hate when that happens. Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm gathering up all the info that you requested, I'll post that soon. In the meantime, here's an email I just received from the guy I'm sending the Jerichos to - any ideas as to what may have happened?

Quote:
Hi Em,

I just wanted to give you a heads up on things from my side... I deleted a few shows that you sent me and now things are moving really quick. I have know idea why that made a difference but in the last 2 hours I went from 2% to 62% on a Jerico Show... So I would say in the next hour I should have whole show from you. Again any shows that I received from anyone else I had no problems with. Maybe it has someting to do with the connect between you and me. Or maybe a show had an error in it that I deleted.

Just wanted to keep you up to date.

Ryan.

Okay, what I saw before I lost my post was the following - the 19MB Doctor Who was at 52% on IVSM but it was at 40% on my Replay - in the time it took me to lose my post it completed - everytime I see Russel T. Davies he looks completely different to me, I guess he's just getting old. Let me go Deskew and check the Jerichos . . . Okay the Pilot is at 22.7% at 11:26pm - the other three show an original time of 10:26, 10:31, 10:21

What exactly is happening when I hit "Update IP Addresses"? Is it looking at my Replay or the receiver's replay? Right now the only one that appears with a current time is the active send. The other three are showing different times and they're quite far apart - I'm guessing you didn't wait five minutes between accepting shows - I guess I don't quite understand what's happening in the background - but I'm curious.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the little snippet of Doctor Who.

-em

P.S. I've just "ctrl-c'd" my post so I'll be assured this one doesn't disappear when I hit submit
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "UPDATE IP ADDRESS" function only updates information about the IP address of the Replays you are sending to. I think this is something you can use to clean up the "UNKNOWN" sends.

Sounds like everything else is working as expected. You are able to see inbound and outbound progress on your IVSmagic server, and the SENDS and RECEIVES are working.

Maybe there is a problem with the show file (or the hard drive that the show is on). Send me the problem show and I will accept it for testing.
emmarie
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I just crashed IVSM and had to reboot my computer - actually I had to pull the plug and pull the battery cause when this happens to me, ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and neither do the dual off buttons. So let me know if you see a network error and if it moved to the next show. I was down for about 15 minutes.

As for a problem show, I don't think there was one - if there was, I wouldn't have any idea which one it was. Ryan cancelled sends that hadn't yet started downloading and then all of a sudden the speed picked up on the Pilot which was trudging along at a snails pace for days. And you're receiving the Pilot now with no problem.

Okay, it's really late, so I'm going to have to try some more tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

-em
jwc553911
Replay junkie
Replay junkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmarie wrote:
Okay, I just crashed IVSM and had to reboot my computer - actually I had to pull the plug and pull the battery cause when this happens to me, ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and neither do the dual off buttons. -em

Are you running IVSM on a laptop?
Jeff
00004-41688-29822 WIRNS?? (VR)

nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Em,

It's 11:30 am (Daylight Savings Time has happended). I show the following status:

Pilot 100%
Fallout 61% (idle)
Four Horseman 77.3% (active)
Walls 7% (idle)
emmarie
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwc553911 wrote:
emmarie wrote:
Okay, I just crashed IVSM and had to reboot my computer - actually I had to pull the plug and pull the battery cause when this happens to me, ctrl/alt/delete does nothing and neither do the dual off buttons. -em

Are you running IVSM on a laptop?
Jeff

Jeff -

Yeah, I'm using a laptop. It's a compaq Armada M700 - it's just temporary - but I always use a laptop - just a better one. My HP Pavilion ZD8000 died last week (it's still under warranty) and I had to pull out one of my old ones. I think I'm going to have to do a little finagling, cause this one is just way too slow and too easily confused when buttons are pushed.

-em

Hey Ed -

Yeah, when I checked last night after my crash, it appeared that the Pilot continued, it just picked up after I rebooted and went on with it's download. Odd, cause I would have thought that a 15 minute outage would have given you a network error and moved to the next show. But instead, throughout the night, and this morning it appears that I had several little glitches and now you have a completed Pilot and partial downloads on the remaining three. Anyway, I'm so behind right now, forgot about the lost hour. So I won't be able to play with my setup til later this afternoon or early evening.

-em
nded
Planet Master
Planet Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it, feel free to play with PAUSE if you want to practice controlling the flow of shows. Please don't DENY, as I actually intend to try the show (enough of my Poopli friends seem to think the series is good)....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> IVSmagic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: