Planet Replay Forum Index Planet Replay
The Destination for ReplayTV Owners and TV Enthusiasts
Back to the home page

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   7 days of topics7 Days  30 days of topics30 Days  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Tips for making DVD's with RVtools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syclone
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Newbie Tips for making DVD's with RVtools Reply with quote

Here are some tips I discovered that most likley are second nature to DOS experts, but may not be known to the average or light user.

This strictly applies to the making of a editable DVD file. Please download the RTV tools and review the documentation...this will only address the section " DVD AUTHORING" See Below - it is qouted in it's entireity. My extra comments for the newbies is preceded with an "***".

***********Section from RTV Tools Documantation********

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DVD AUTHORING
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested: MediaChance DVDLab, Sonic Solutions DVDit, Sonic/Daikin Scenarist,
Ulead MovieFactory 1.x.

Preparing ReplayTV 5000 Streams for DVD Authoring is a two-step process.

***I advise you to put the RTVEDIT.EXE and RTVCONVERT.EXE files (the only ones you need) into the same directory as the Replay TV file you want to make a DVD.***

First you must run RTVEDIT on the file. Because RTV streams tend to have some extra information at the beginning of the file this step must be completed even if no edits are required.

***This has to be done, run it by double clicking from Windows explorer on RTVedit - IMPORTANT: it must be in the same directory as your RTV file****

***It is easier if you put the files in a directory on your "C:" drive...as a root directory. i.e. C:\replay...the "Replay" directory would be just under the "C:" drive - not any deeper***

This is all you need for the edit file if there are no edits to be made:

FMyFile.mpg
E

***Type "F" followed by (no spaces) the replay TV file name you are working with...hit Enter...then type "E" and then enter...this will run for a while depending on how big-long the file is...wait for it to end***

***The newly created file will be the same name as your old replay file, except with a "1" added to it. i.e. My file is called "Movie.mpg" After I run RTVedit.exe on it there is now a newly generated file called "Movie1.mpg". The "Movie1.mpg" is what you will run the next program on.***

Next, run RTVCONVERT against the edited stream. You may need to demux the
stream for your DVD Authoring tool. If this is required, you may use the -d
option to have RTVCONVERT write demultiplexed streams (.m2v, .mp2). You can
also use any external AC3 encoders if you wish.

***You will need to run this from the command prompt...if you instead try to double click on it you will only get a brief flash of a DOS window before it goes away with nothing happening.***

***To get to the command prompt type "CMD" and then enter in the "Run" box. "RUN" is located as one of the buttons under the "START" in Windows XP.***

***For my purposes working with Nero Vision Express 2 (buy it for $7.95 with Nero OEM Suite 3) (NOT Vision Express 2SE- found in Suite 1 and 2) - I did not need to Demux...so I left it out***

> rtvconvert MyFile1.mpg MyFile_DVDReady.mpg
Source: MyFile1.mpg
Target: MyFile_DVDReady.mpg

***After you have the command prompt up (looks like DOS) you will need to switch directorys to where you have the files...from above I put mine in "C:/Replay". Your prompt should look like this "C:\>" If it has any thing else in front of it you will have to back it out by typing "CD .." repeatedly till it backs out and looks like "C:\>". OK, then switch directorys to where your files are, in my case I typed "CD \Replay"...the prompt then switched to "C:\ Replay>"***

*** Then type "rtvconvert" + your file name <space> New filename In my case I typed "rtvconvert Movie1.mpg Insyncmovie.mpg" then enter. In this case "Insyncmovie.mpg" is the name I chose for my new movie that will be editable in dvd software and also remain INsync with the audio. Your computer should work on this for a while...about 8-10 minutes for me for a 4 GB file. When it is finished you can edit your new movie file in any DVD authoring software and the audio will now stay in sync when you publish to a DVD or movie file. !!***

> rtvconvert -d MyFile1.mpg MyFile_DVDReady
Source: MyFile1.mpg
Target: MyFile_DVDReady.m2v, MyFile_DVDReady.mp2

Figure 4

Now the streams are ready for DVD authoring! Simply import the assets into
your DVD Authoring software and author your menus, add chapters, etc.

End instructions.

This has worked very well for me and finally solve my audio sync problems. I hope it is helpful - to the DOS newbies out there.

-Jeff
TheWiz01
Just looking around
Just looking around

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this work for multiple programs on one DVD???

DOS instructions clear as a bell. **Ding**
Syclone
Replay newbie
Replay newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was a bit rusty on all the DOS stuff, so I thought it might be helpful to a few people out there that have been away from DOS for quite some time.

I am assuming you want to put multiple REplay TV recorded shows on one DVD right?

What I found is that for 1/2 hour shows or less, the audio Sync problem does not appear to be noticable to me. So I have just opened and edited with Nero Vision Express 2, 4->6 or so 1/2 hour episodes...made a menu, and the just burned it. - All this without using the rTV tools. You may want to experiment with it to see if it satisfies you. Other people have reported good sucess with 1 hour long shows. - I have not tried this so cannot comment, but I HAVE done 1 & 1/2 hour movies and seen big audio sync issues...hence the need for the RTV tools.

There should be no reason you cannot process multiple Replaytv files with the RTV tools, and then open all the resulting files in Nero to make a DVD.

Be aware that the RTedit tool DOES remove all comercials that had been detected by Replay TV (comericial advance)....wether or not they correctly identified or not...some reality TV uses alot of black fades, which can trick the system. There should be a way to disable the editing out of the commercials with RTVEDIT, but I have not looked hard enough into it to find it...

Anyone?

Good luck,
Jeff
_Cypher_
Almost hooked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this I was having trouble with the RTV Tools and couldn't get them to work. I didn't know you still had to use the RTVEdit first so I'm guessing that was my problem. Thaks again for the help.

_Cypher_
billdz
Replay fan
Replay fan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I never would have figured it out without your guide. Converted per instructions and then burned to DVD with Power Producer Gold, worked perfectly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet Replay Forum Index -> Replay 5K Tools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: